SLK buying advice

dava

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the process of looking for a new SLK. was looking at a 200 but got offfered a 280 3000 v6 with amg's on good spec, and 7 speed tip auto box. As this is a new engine and box, does anyone know if they are ok, what can I expect in fuel consumption and would it be a better box or would it just be changing gears more frequently. Is 7th an overdrive or would it be just the same as a 5 speed auto, also is the 200 under powered? Also it does not have the vario roof on the key, which they say cant be retrofitted, which I would have chosen if I was specking it, is this the case? I would of thought it would just be a differnet key fob and changing the ecu as it only costs £90 as an addition.

Cheers in advance.
Ray

nw@home

Reaction score
Hi Ray

I have been test driving the slk myself. The 280 and 350 on manual and auto.
The only advise i think that would be useful for you from me is that the 7 speed auto has the ability to kick down more than one gear if really booted hard, but you still get the delayed response as in all autos. I preferred the manual myself. Also if you use the auto in tiptronic mode (like a manual) the gear length is short and it hits the red-line very quickly, so you need lots of gear nudging to prevent the oh so clever auto box from taking control from you again. Having said all that and still preferring the manual, i have to concede that the auto is silky smooth when cruising in and out of traffic.

Neil (SLK 350 Manual on order):grin:

OP
D

dava

Reaction score
Thanks for that, the 350 seems awsome, but it's for my wife and I think it could be over the top for her. Never thought about a manual, in the past Merc cars in manual dont resell as well and to be honest it's a good saving, I think its £1400 extra for auto. The dealer I'm using is prepared to haggle on the price which is nice, as most in my area wont even talk about discount. Is there anything you would recomend in the spec? Good luck with the car.
Ray

Speedmaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 55 AMG
There is a local dealer here with a brand new import SLK200 manual with high spec for immediate delivery in black/black for £29500

blassberg

Reaction score
Hi u2.
She has a 200k (with roof on key). I have a 7G.
The 200k sounds ok and is spritely but of course asthmatic compared to the 280/350.

The 7G is excellent - include the paddles. There is no need for auto-lag. If you need power then two paddle blips puts you in the fastest accelerating gear. Press and hold after gunning it and it returns to D. With only a little practice you can time this perfectly. I do find down-changes when stopping at the lights after a sprint in S mode is a little jerky - it does one or two changes too early. With anyone else in the car I would drive in C to hide this. On my own it's S all the time and treat it as 'character'.

Ublio

Reaction score
See my above post on fuel consumption in the 350 with a manual box. I think the latest generation merc engines are surpisingly efficient.

Make sure you like the 7 speed auto. The sterring wheel shifting is very odd. I didn't like it and also felt that the car thought my instructions were optional!

Kickdown is very impressive though!

Ublio

Reaction score
And also... if you are buying new be careful with the no cost options. It's all a bit confusing to be honest but if there is any choice at all on the no cost options you have to be sure which comes as default. An example which may or may not affect you is the smoking option. I ordered my car assuming it would come without the ashtrays, turns out I was right but could have easily been the other way round as it was a no cost option. Am I making sense? Get the dealer to explain these things for you properly.

Think long and carefully about the 6x CD. If you go for command go for the iPod instead. The 6 CD changer renders the glove box useless.

Having the auto box is only worth an extra grand on the used market same with command.

And contrary to something I read elsewhere on this site you do not bash your elbow on the hand brake in a manual. There is no problem with arm clearance at all. I'm 5'10".

OP
D

dava

Reaction score
Speedmaster said:
There is a local dealer here with a brand new import SLK200 manual with high spec for immediate delivery in black/black for £29500
Hi Mate, it's up your kneck of the woods I've been looking, western, they have offered a good px on curent car and discounted a new one!!!! So I dont mind the travel, I'm interested in where this one is if you could pm me please. I am lookingh for a spec that will help it sell later, the six change was not on my list as I seen one and like said kills the glove box, she plays the same cd all the time any way!!!!! Possibly vario roof, £90 mirrors, leather and 17 upgrades so any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Ray

blassberg

Reaction score
Ublio said:
And contrary to something I read elsewhere on this site you do not bash your elbow on the hand brake in a manual. There is no problem with arm clearance at all. I'm 5'10".
Agreed. SLinKyjoe found that. Her indoors no mention of it.

gary350

Reaction score
dava said:
Hi, I'm in the process of looking for a new SLK. was looking at a 200 but got offfered a 280 3000 v6 with amg's on good spec, and 7 speed tip auto box. As this is a new engine and box, does anyone know if they are ok, what can I expect in fuel consumption and would it be a better box or would it just be changing gears more frequently. Is 7th an overdrive or would it be just the same as a 5 speed auto, also is the 200 under powered? Also it does not have the vario roof on the key, which they say cant be retrofitted, which I would have chosen if I was specking it, is this the case? I would of thought it would just be a differnet key fob and changing the ecu as it only costs £90 as an addition.

Cheers in advance.
Ray

If you can afford it go for the 350 with Auto, I have had mine since jul 04 can not fault it. The remote action on the roof is really not worth it you need to be close when activating it, bigger downside is you look a bit of a flash geezer doing it.

gary

OP
D

dava

Reaction score
Thanks for that Gary, whats this about the new interior? Also have you drove a 280 and is the 350 heavy on fuel? I've been told to get a sump gaurd as well, apperently it's needed, but cant find out why or even if they sell one to price up.
Ray

gary350

Reaction score
dava said:
Thanks for that Gary, whats this about the new interior? Also have you drove a 280 and is the 350 heavy on fuel? I've been told to get a sump gaurd as well, apperently it's needed, but cant find out why or even if they sell one to price up.
Ray

See link for new material http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1244217&posts=27&fid=27

MPG for the 350 depends like on all cars to what your driving is like and type of journey, around towns short trips around 20 and long motorway hauls some claim up to 34 (best I have had is 30 not going too slow mind). The MB guide lines are about right expect between 25/28 average., slightly less than the 280 but 2 different drivers in the 2 cars might change that around. The poke on the 350 is awesome better than the 500 SL/CL and 280, if its a money thing take the 280 with more spec for the same price or is it the power then there is just 1 option (apart from the 55/63) and thats the 350. I hope this decides your option. Oh sump guard I do not have one unless the roads are really bad or your drive is on a big hump dont bother, its the front valance you have to watch when parking up to kerbs.

gary

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom