Slk indicators - help please

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Take off the lid in the passenger side fuse box

You will see the big relay box with the connectors pugged in on top
the Greyish plug at the front,pull this towards the front and then lift out, there is an alli handle going round the unit, lift up the front and over the unit and the box is then free to lift out.

Please enclose £40 with it I have Emailed you my address

grandadshenna

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 230kompressor
many thanks for getting back to me so quick, car due for MOT so will send it through to you as soon as i can, will email you once it is in post many thanks again Alan (granddadshenna)

M

Mr Ra

Mercedes slk 200 Kompressor 2002 indicators

Hi
I too am having problems with my wife's 2002 200 Kompressor SLK indicators.
The car had been sitting for about five weeks and when we went to take it out the indicators do not work but the hazard warning lights work fine.
I have read the various threads on the forum and have tried turning on the hazards a few times but it does not reset the indicators. I have removed the ECU but minw only has two gold coloured relayas and doesnot have the one that the forum suggests cleaning the contacts on. Has anyone any ideas where I could look next please?
Thanks

tl99999

Reaction score
Hi,

MB changed the CCM and removed the relay and replaced it with solid state electronics. The CCM electronics need to see a certain amount of current draw before it will start switching. As a result the next step is to remove and clean/replace the bulb holders and check/fit Osram (OEM) bulbs.

If this doesn't fix your problem then the most likely cause is the combined light switch and fuse panel.

If you need further help PM me.

Regards, Tony

L*!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mazda RX8
BTT,

I was wondering if anybody (television or tl99999) are still able to offer this repair service please?

The CCM on my mothers SLK R171 looks like its started playing up (indicators staying on, not blinking).

I've taken a look at the board and the relay contact points and they look okay (from a non-electrical engineer point of view), but suspected relay or a tiny dry part perhaps.

Please could either of you gentlemen drop me a line, as I am ready to send the unit out to you shortly. Many thanks, Laurence

tl99999

Reaction score
Hi Laurence,

I am still offering a repair service for the 1996 to 1999 R170 SLKs. Later models. R170 from 2000 and R171 do not use the same module (see my earlier post).

By all means send me a PM with the VIN number and registration date and I will see if I can help further.

Regards, Tony

L*!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mazda RX8
Hi Tony, thanks for your quick reply.
My mistake, the car is a R170 (not R171)

CCM PN: 170 820 09 26
Relay PN: A3001-A802-V23133

As I took some photos, I wanted to post these up for archive sakes to help other people know what they're looking for;

Here is the CCM Unit that has been removed from the electrical connector box on the passenger side of the engine bay (UK Car). The lid of the electrical connector box comes off by undoing 4 x screws.
The CCM is positioned downwards with the wiring connectors pointing up. A metal securing tape is positioned at the front bumper end of the CCM box that bends back a little to allow the CCM unit to slide vertically up (although it is a tight fit).

CCM_SLK_R170004.jpg

This is the part number of the CCM Box;
CCM_SLK_R170003.jpg

The CCM Unit Casing can be dismantled by unscrewing 5 x T16 Torx bolts, below is what the circuit board looks like with the top panel off;

CCM_SLK_R170001.jpg

And below is the offending Indicator Flasher Relay (it is positioned 3rd from the left (with wiring connector at 12 o clock position), with the part number above on it:

CCM_SLK_R170002.jpg

Tony, would you mind PM'ing me your details please, so I can get this courier'd to you over the next couple of days when my mum doesn't need her car for a few days.

Thanks,

Laurence

Stedan 126

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 126 500SE, 2013 Harley Fat Bob
Kind of relavent, but looking at that relay reminds me of the many Scorpion alarms I used to fix back in the day with sticking indicators!

Pull the relay apart and clean up the contacts usually removing it from the board to make it easier.

I never found a supplier for new relays as we had a few scrap units, but 9 time out of 10, they did clean up

Scorpionalarm.jpg

Sorry, moving on now.

Last edited:

Redalbatross

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200 Kompressor 2003
Help please. I bought my 2002 SLK 200 about 3 weeks ago and now have found the indicators don't work (they did until last week) but the hazards are fine (very similar to post 106). I'd read a post on another forum about taking out the unit beside the battery, which I did yesterday, and the indicators were working first thing this morning. However while I was out they stopped working again which has me puzzled as it implied there is enough current draw, initially at least.

Any assistance/advice would be appreciated - I'm no mechanic, just a woman who does not like to give in to a garage if there is a possibility of fixing things myself...especially given the £500-700 replacement part cost I've heard being quoted.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I repair them for £45 including return insured postage

Redalbatross

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200 Kompressor 2003
Thanks Television - I'd really appreciate that and like to take you up on your offer but don't know how to contact you off forum (I only joined today) as it isn't letting me e-mail you.

tl99999

Reaction score
Hi Television,

Changing the indicator relay in the CCM is fine up to the R170 facelift in 2000 but after that MB replaced the relay with solid state.

Indicator problems on the R170 post facelift are the result of insufficient current draw. The causes can be poor contacts in the bulbholders, non-MB (Osram) bulbs and overheated indicator fuseholders.

Unfortunately the indicator fuseholders are part of the light switch assembly. The plastic seems to melt causing a high resistance between the fuse and the holder.

Redalbatross, please update the post when you discover what the cause of your indicator problem was. Hopefully it will just be the bulbs/bulbholders.

Regards, Tony

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Tony, I have seen the solid state version and as you say nothing one can do on these. I still have a few relays for the earlier ones.

Thanks for clearing that up.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Television - I'd really appreciate that and like to take you up on your offer but don't know how to contact you off forum (I only joined today) as it isn't letting me e-mail you.

Yes welcome to the forum, as Tony in the post below I can only do the 170 820 09 26 version, please read his post if you have the newer version

OP
MIW615

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK

Malcolm (Television) fixed mine some four years ago and still going strong - top man :):)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom