SLK Rattle When Roof Down

Lance

Reaction score
Does what it says on the tin.

When the roof is down on my SLK 200 (2003) R170, there is an annoying rattle when I go over a bump. It sounds like it's on the passenger side and somewhere around the area of the plasticy thing of which the sides fold down when the roof goes down.

Any ideas what causes it or, anyone else have this?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Does what it says on the tin.

When the roof is down on my SLK 200 (2003) R170, there is an annoying rattle when I go over a bump. It sounds like it's on the passenger side and somewhere around the area of the plasticy thing of which the sides fold down when the roof goes down.

Any ideas what causes it or, anyone else have this?

If I can have a VIN number I will have a look,though I have never heard of this WDB and the next 6 please.

Malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not until this evening, I will post back.

malcolm

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, I have been through every known document and update and nothing shown, very sorry about this.

Have you tried tapping around or putting some cloth in between the panels, the sound of the rattle should give some clue as to a panel or bracket rattle, and do compare both sides.

Malcolm

Iwantpies

Reaction score
Lance,

Not sure it's the same thing, but the whole black panel (what one might describe as a tonneau on soft tops) flexes and makes a rapid noise each time things get a bit bumpy, more like a hollow thud than a rattle.

As I said, not sure it's the same thing that you are experiencing as I wouldn't describe it as annoying, just one of those things of convertible ownership.

Also, as it is 7 years old now (had a cake for it last Thursday :p ), it's the only noticeable "noise", so not bad going.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This car has the tin top, I hate rattles,gave them up when I was 1½ years old :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

malcolm

Iwantpies

Reaction score
This car has the tin top, I hate rattles,gave them up when I was 1½ years old :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

malcolm
HA! Yes Malcolm, I know it's the tintop (as is mine), I was just making a comparisson with the tonneau to better illustrate the panel I was jabbering on about.

Failed, obviously. :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
HA! Yes Malcolm, I know it's the tintop (as is mine), I was just making a comparisson with the tonneau to better illustrate the panel I was jabbering on about.

Failed, obviously. :D

So sorry young man::Oops: :Oops:

Shame you cant get one of the kids in the boot to have a listen.

Malcolm

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
So sorry young man::Oops: :Oops:

Shame you cant get one of the kids in the boot to have a listen.

Malcolm
Peter Sellers did that with his Rolls Royce he put Spike Milligan in the boot to check for a rattle :)

OP
L

Lance

Reaction score
Anyway, back to the rattle. Thanks for the answers chaps. I know what you mean pies, I think. Trouble is, the missus doesn't drive it, but if she did, and I sat in the passenger seat (sacrelidge I know) I might discover exactly where it was coming from...

Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom