SLK up grade to SL

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Ooooo good job you parked with the fronts straight or its so low you might have graunched the front wheel arch.

Hmm I thought the valves in the control blocks were metal to metal when you parked up, so it wouldnt collapse once parked ...
obviously not. :-/

Yes it was the lowest I've even seen an SL sitting. I think the valve block only lock if it sensors a problem like when the pump went on the 55, it lost quite a bit of fluid then locked the suspension in the normal position and just became super hard ride. I guess that was to reduce the suspension travel and more fluid loss?

The picture of the 500 sitting on the floor isn't there anymore :mad: I am still working on salvaging all my pictures from PB, have transferred a lot over to Flicka but still have 100's left to do. The computer that did have a lot of my pictures on went belly up just before I got around to writing a disc so kinda lost 1000's of photos including Norway and the last NZ trip :( That will teach me for not putting them on disc, which my eldest son was always on about for me to do. Mind you he has done disc's in the past for me but said you need to learn how to do it :rolleyes:

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Yes it was the lowest I've even seen an SL sitting. I think the valve block only lock if it sensors a problem like when the pump went on the 55, it lost quite a bit of fluid then locked the suspension in the normal position and just became super hard ride. I guess that was to reduce the suspension travel and more fluid loss?

The picture of the 500 sitting on the floor isn't there anymore :mad: I am still working on salvaging all my pictures from PB, have transferred a lot over to Flicka but still have 100's left to do. The computer that did have a lot of my pictures on went belly up just before I got around to writing a disc so kinda lost 1000's of photos including Norway and the last NZ trip :( That will teach me for not putting them on disc, which my eldest son was always on about for me to do. Mind you he has done disc's in the past for me but said you need to learn how to do it :rolleyes:

Ahh yes you might be right re when the valve block locks ... makes sense. I would defer to someone like Craig or Allistair.

3 weeks is about the most mine is left undriven for, and I never noticed any sinkage. But then I wouldn't notice if it dropped 2mm ... well you wouldnt would you?

I’ll admit I do check the ABC Level every 3 or 4 weeks, which is probably ridiculously paranoid.
Thankfully it has not dropped even 0.5 mm, since Sept 2016; and the pump pressure is 188 Bar (apparently that is ok? - not sure what it should be when new) .

But I was surprised that this car had a big pipe replaced at 26,000 miles because it was “sweating” and the invoice at the point of discovery, 2 days before it was replaced, itemised 1 litre of ABC fluid. Whether it lost a whole liter or they just billed for the litre bottle? ... who knows.
The first owner just said they noticed it at a service, and it didnt leak out everywhere. His discription of “sweating” was tiny globules of oily stuff all along a section of pipe. He said it was as though it had micro-pores.
He did ask to see it, as the pipe cost £226 plus vat and tons of Labour £££ , and he was ****ed that a crucial pipe would fail at 26,000 miles ... hence his concern.

He also said he didnt get any ABC warnings. I would hope if the ABC fluid got low, you would at least get a low ABC warning or something??

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not until pressure reduces by which time the pump is sucking air.

With our 500 it came up on the display ABC visit workshop, it only took 500mls to cancel this instruction. We then took it through to have the ABC radiator replaced, surely it wouldn't have been sucking air, would it?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
With our 500 it came up on the display ABC visit workshop, it only took 500mls to cancel this instruction. We then took it through to have the ABC radiator replaced, surely it wouldn't have been sucking air, would it?
Depends what the failure is. ABC visit workshop can be caused by low pressure without a leak. Subs question was "Is there a low level alert" and the answer is no. The first you'd know is when it loses pressure as it starts to suck air.

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is what happened on the 500, the ABC visit workshop was indicating low level or that's what I thought as it did have a leak at the ABC radiator and when I topped it up the message went away. So I just assumed that was the reason for the message. Good to know that it was for another reason. Happily it is okay now. :)

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, last entry was March 22 2018, so much for keeping everyone up to date with the SL. :rolleyes:
As a few of you will know the Jasper Blue SL was written off when a car pulled out of a side road and impacted the passenger door and 1/4 panel back in June 2018 and was then replaced with another SL 500. The old Jasper blue car lives on after it was bought by a friend of mine who subsequently had it repaired and 6 months later I was offered the car back at a very cheap price. However the Missus said she had got used to the green blue black 500 and we pasted on the offer. The old car then found another owner and they too after awhile offered it back to me at a sightly higher deal, but my counter offer wasn't quite high enough, so we didn't get the car back. :(
The old Jasper blue SL500 still lives on :cool:

So thread now updated and possibly the end to this thread, though I still have the SL55 thread which needs updating too o_O

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom