Smelling of Oil

jonah06

Reaction score
Dont know if anyones had this problem before but my 2000(W) 320CLK constantly has an oily smell around everytime I get out of the car. Theres no leaks or back pressure and the breathers are clear. Really got me puzzled. Next step is to get the garage to investigate but thought i'd post before incurring that expense. Anyone else had similar problems? Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Dont know if anyones had this problem before but my 2000(W) 320CLK constantly has an oily smell around everytime I get out of the car. Theres no leaks or back pressure and the breathers are clear. Really got me puzzled. Next step is to get the garage to investigate but thought i'd post before incurring that expense. Anyone else had similar problems? Cheers

I think that you will find that some hoses and clips need replacing on the breathing.

This has been covered before,many times do a search.

Malcolm

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
Make sure you have'nt any small leaks on engine or transmission that are getting anywhere near your exhaust such a leak can be so small as to make no mess on the floor but give off a very pungent smell

OP
J

jonah06

Reaction score
cheers chaps, i'll take another closer look this weekend.

cellardoor

Reaction score
oil onto manifold

Had the same problem, was under the bonnet last week with the engine running looking at other things when I noticed smoke. There was a small leak at the rear of a rocker cover and a drip had fallen onto the exhaust manifold. That was where the oil small came from. The smell was also noticable when driving as the fumes were being drawn into the heater air intake. Hope this helps

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Had the same problem, was under the bonnet last week with the engine running looking at other things when I noticed smoke. There was a small leak at the rear of a rocker cover and a drip had fallen onto the exhaust manifold. That was where the oil small came from. The smell was also noticable when driving as the fumes were being drawn into the heater air intake. Hope this helps
Totally agree, rocker cover gaskets. We are repairing them all the time on the 320. Usually on the front right hand side as you look at the engine from the front of the car. They are a DIY job, Malcolm (I hope your reading this) maybe your next task.:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Totally agree, rocker cover gaskets. We are repairing them all the time on the 320. Usually on the front right hand side as you look at the engine from the front of the car. They are a DIY job, Malcolm (I hope your reading this) maybe your next task.:)

Dont know why it should be my next task,as I do not have that engine.

I cant recall one complaint of oil leaking from the covers when I did have that engine. I am not say it cant happen.
I have though sent out 5 mod sheets for the breather hoses and a clamp mod where the hose clip needs rotating to stop oil leaking onto the engine.

Malcolm

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Dont know why it should be my next task,as I do not have that engine.

I cant recall one complaint of oil leaking from the covers when I did have that engine. I am not say it cant happen.
I have though sent out 5 mod sheets for the breather hoses and a clamp mod where the hose clip needs rotating to stop oil leaking onto the engine.

Malcolm
Sorry Malcolm, i meant for the DIY section. On the 320, the rockercover gaskets are notoriusly bad, but quite simple to fix and therefore a good one for the DIY section. Also, you are quite correct on the breather pipe bit. The clips go weak and the pipes dry out and crack. These are also a simple replacement job and again great for the DIY section. How do you think?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry Malcolm, i meant for the DIY section. On the 320, the rockercover gaskets are notoriusly bad, but quite simple to fix and therefore a good one for the DIY section. Also, you are quite correct on the breather pipe bit. The clips go weak and the pipes dry out and crack. These are also a simple replacement job and again great for the DIY section. How do you think?

I have still never seen much on leaking rocker covers on the V6.

Please don't tell me that I am correct in that the clips go weak or that the pipes crack, as I did not say that.
The hose clips were incorrectly fitted from the factory and the fix is to rotate them.

Malcolm

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom