1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smokey 412D

Discussion in 'Tuning, Styling and Performance.' started by covey, Apr 22, 2018.

1. covey

covey New Member

Your Mercedes:
    Sprinter/1996/412D
    Having not used the Forum after the last lot of advice which solved my MB problems, I am back!!

I have a Hymer motorhome which has a custom body (A Class) manufactured in 1996 and powered by the excellent 2.9 5 cylinder OM602 diesel engine. For the last 4 years I have wandered Europe and spend the winter months down near Malaga trying to avoid the UK winter. Apart from a failed alternator pulley bearing The Beast has performed without any issues.

However, I read the glad tidings that VOSA/DVLA are tightening up the MOT regs and it concerns me that this might well impact me. When I first bought the MH 5 years ago it was running on mineral oil, but successive services at my local MB main dealer have changed the oil type to Fully Synthetic. A previous post I read mentioned that the thinner synthetic oil would likely find the opportunity to seep out if possible and I have noticed that The Beast pushes out a little blue smoke when idling. I run The Beast at 4.6 tonnes and normally pull a Smart car on a trailer, and performance is very good, BUT if I am going up a steep incline in very low gear (its automatic of the tree trunk variety sticking up through the floor!!) I get black smoke if it is hot.

Question: I have never seen MB put any form of diagnostic unit/laptop any where near the vehicle, so is there a way of checking that my fuel flow etc are optimum, or is my 602 a bit early for all the fancy electronic monitoring?