so kerosene and hair conditioner is what I have been missing out on all this time??

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have an uncle who was a panel beater/spray painter and he used to recommend kerosene (aka paraffin).

OP
Arzaam

Arzaam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2002 c180
i guess kerosene does the job but is it safe in the long run especially on rubber trims

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Its very dilute - less than 100ml to a bucket of water. Never seemed to do his cars any harm

Lit.91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Being oil based, would kerosene mix with water properly?

I can just imagine it being separated and floating on top like oil would.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It will mix enough to leave a film on the car.. The polishers of old used a paraffin soaked rag to Tcut the paint work and it worked a treat on the older type finishes ie Cellulose . and the non lacquered solid coat finishes.. Today's modern paints don't need as much polishing to bring up the finish.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Terrible article. Why would one want a film of oil all over their car?

It will be a 'Dirt Magnet'. As extrapolated from my filler cap area...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Paraffin for cars yes I remember a mint pagoda washed with a mix of it and I think stergene ?
The car was not at all sticky its a long time ago though.

People used some paraffin in engines prior to oil changes as a flush and ATF fluid never seen and studies on efficacy though.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have an uncle who was a panel beater/spray painter and he used to recommend kerosene (aka paraffin).

Funeral companies used to use Paraffin on their vehicles, I don't know whether they still do though :)

Last edited:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
When it is polished in and dried it has similar properties to wax, it was also possible to wipe the car over during stops without having to rewash the car.
They actually used paraffin and brasso.

PlugsnPoints

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180/2011/1800
https://www.pakwheels.com/blog/five-easy-and-highly-effective-car-washing-hacks/

what do you guys think? i came across it on reader's digest as well
I rather leave the car dirty than risk damaging the paint with unsuitable chemicals
https://www.pakwheels.com/blog/five-easy-and-highly-effective-car-washing-hacks/

what do you guys think? i came across it on reader's digest as well
I rather leave the car dirty than risk damaging the paint with unsuitable chemicals

I was introduced to the paraffin trick over 40 years ago. My dad told me about the chauffeurs (when they were responsible for looking after the cars, way back) who would add a dash of paraffin to the bucket of clean water after the vehicle was washed. Where I worked as a teenager, part of the final valet was to prep the new cars before they were returned to the owners. We used this method all the time.

The best method is to wash the car/van (or whatever) to remove the dirt. Rinse it off with fresh cold water. Then fill a bucket with water as hot as you can handle, then add an eggcup of paraffin. Dip your chamois in and wring it out and work from the roof down, regularly dipping the leather in the bucket and wringing it out.

I'd highly recommend it. You'll be surprised how shiny the paintwork is afterwards, and the windows aren't streaky, without any polish.

As for comments about it wrecking rubbers and trims etc. It's all rubbish, I've had cars and motorbikes for nearly 40 years and never had a problem. My old man had several classic vehicles as well. You'll have a gleaming motor car with very little effort. Plus it'll save you a fortune on expensive 'detailing' products.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'm not sure paraffin is too readily available these days....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Really?Im wondering what people use it for these days ..dare i ask...
It makes an excellent degreaser for engine parts. Gives a slightly oily finish after cleaning so prevents rust forming immediately you remove it from the bath too.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Just remembered we use it in my factory when softening bitumen and black oil from tanker hoses we want to clean out...doh! OK I retract my statement!!

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom