OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Seat massage has stopped too. STAR shows leaks on every branch, but there are none, they hold pressure and vac for 10+ minutes.

Not sure how the pump figures out how much pressure its generating to determine run on time.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I seem to recall that on the 129 there's a diaphragm which pushes a pair of contacts together to stop the pump. This is inside the pump assembly.

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
Hi Alex, do you have a method for checking the pumping pressure ie how much vacuum is being created ? It it's not producing enough vacuum that might lead to all sorts of issues ?

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Alex, do you have a method for checking the pumping pressure ie how much vacuum is being created ? It it's not producing enough vacuum that might lead to all sorts of issues ?

I do, There is a procedure on STAR. I tested it and the pump is healthy. I think there is an internal pressure sensor in addition to a pressure switch and it seems like it doesn't work. I cannot interrogate the pressure sensor on STAR

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To sum this up, its the pressure sensor (electronic) that is not detecting pressure. I dismantled the pump and plugged it in without its case.

I then actuated the boot latch and the pump ran, pulled the latch in then kept running for 20 seconds. It logged a fault code for leak in the system.

I then repeated the above, and grounded out the positive pressure sensor wire (red) and the pump shut off.

Long story short, I cannot find the component, so will buy one with a burnt out pump and swap that in.

AdamG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI (2003)
I've been having similar problems with the PSE in my W220. It would flag the boot latch as faulty, and shut down that system. A reset by pulling the fuse would work for a few boot cycles then fail again.

Each time it would appear that the boot was operating fine and there were no leaks. I even blocked the boot outlet on the PSE to test, and the pump would not shut off. The PSE as mentioned, has an electronic pressure sensor and I believe also a mechanical safety cut-off sensor. In typical Merc fashion the system is very complicated. The only way I could find to view pressure readings was with STAR in developer mode, see image. In actual values it give system pressure and cut-off pressures for each system. The boot needs around 2.5bar to cut-off! My pump would only get to about 1.6bar, so while it appeared good, it was not.

The motor brushes were good and had plenty of torque so I decided to try and repair the pump. I did this by gently sanding the graphite vane pump. Using a piece of glass and some p1500 sandpaper I resurfaced the parts of the pump. I also turned the vanes around so the inner face now faced outward, I'm not sure if this was necessary though. Probably the main difference was, I ever so slightly, reduced the height of the middle spacer ring. This meant that the rotor was a lot tighter fit in the the pump sandwich.

After reassembly I watched the live data and the pump now climbs to 2.5 bar and cuts off when operating the boot. Time will tell if the fix lasts. It's only been on test for a few days.

Attachments

• 20181101_084002.jpg
    20181101_084002.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been having similar problems with the PSE in my W220. It would flag the boot latch as faulty, and shut down that system. A reset by pulling the fuse would work for a few boot cycles then fail again.

Each time it would appear that the boot was operating fine and there were no leaks. I even blocked the boot outlet on the PSE to test, and the pump would not shut off. The PSE as mentioned, has an electronic pressure sensor and I believe also a mechanical safety cut-off sensor. In typical Merc fashion the system is very complicated. The only way I could find to view pressure readings was with STAR in developer mode, see image. In actual values it give system pressure and cut-off pressures for each system. The boot needs around 2.5bar to cut-off! My pump would only get to about 1.6bar, so while it appeared good, it was not.

The motor brushes were good and had plenty of torque so I decided to try and repair the pump. I did this by gently sanding the graphite vane pump. Using a piece of glass and some p1500 sandpaper I resurfaced the parts of the pump. I also turned the vanes around so the inner face now faced outward, I'm not sure if this was necessary though. Probably the main difference was, I ever so slightly, reduced the height of the middle spacer ring. This meant that the rotor was a lot tighter fit in the the pump sandwich.

After reassembly I watched the live data and the pump now climbs to 2.5 bar and cuts off when operating the boot. Time will tell if the fix lasts. It's only been on test for a few days.

I will check dev mode actual values then, I did not make the assumption that the pump was worn considering all the soft close functions as normal. You never know!

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Hi all

New CL has an issue with the softclose.

On the drivers door, it pulls it in, but keeps pulling for approx 10 seconds where It then stops pulling the door and puts the windows back.

At the end of this the door is fully closed but it's not right.

I assume there are two switches in the door latch, one that detects the presence of the door and one that detects its fully closed.

It does not seem that I can check these on star. Any ideas?

These break door looms for a pastime and there is modified loom to fit, you can't cut out and repair it, I've seen some terrible repair jobs over the years. There is about 15 wires to cut and solder in to the main loom under the drivers carpet. Not all the colours match either so you need to follow the wiring diagram to the letter. Best of luck.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom