Sometimes it's the simplest thing - OM642 breakdown

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
Driving my CLS320CDI and engine light comes on, power drops so am thinking limp mode. Pull over and stop the engine. Try to re-start, not having it and notice smell of diesel so call out the RAC. I then have the pleasure of sitting there for half an hour contemplating the likely causes and cost of this failure - new CPS, injector failure, swirl flap motor etc. etc.

RAC arrive and take off the engine cover, a lot of diesel over the front of the engine. RAC tech immediately notices that a fuel return pipe is out of its fixing, a tiny wire circlip had failed.

Two cable ties later and I am on my way straight to the main stealers for a new clip. Not in stock of course, and the cost of this 1" of wire - £1.65 + Vat. ...........and breathe again. Engine light goes out after the third start, so didn't even have to reset it. Just got to clean up the diesel now.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
At least the engine will be nice and clean!
Good that it was something simple!

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Seeing more and more of that lately....those clips tend to be committing suicide..had one fail and a pipe blow off on the ramp the other day whilst it was sat there idling, i wouldn't have minded had I taken it off but I had only done an AC regas....

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Please God if mine fails let it be something like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Seeing more and more of that lately....those clips tend to be committing suicide..had one fail and a pipe blow off on the ramp the other day whilst it was sat there idling, i wouldn't have minded had I taken it off but I had only done an AC regas....

Its still your fault Steve :D :D

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Sounds like an opportunity to finish the cleaning process.
Large tray under the engine, liberal spraying and wiping with white spirit.

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Certainly is!..."nothing wrong with the car when I brought it in blah blah blah" ;)

Had a Ford Focus radiator hose blow on the MOT ramp this morning with the customer standing 10 ft away .......

My point was "lucky it went here and not on Motorway"

His point was "It was ok when I drove it here, its your fault"

He paid for the part I popped the new pipe on for free.

It happens .............

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Had a Ford Focus radiator hose blow on the MOT ramp this morning with the customer standing 10 ft away .......

My point was "lucky it went here and not on Motorway"

His point was "It was ok when I drove it here, its your fault"

He paid for the part I popped the new pipe on for free.

It happens .............
Exactly, heard various versions of the same over the years, some folk just don't get it!

monkeh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007/8 Chrysler, 300c, OM642 lump
Ah, diesel pipes, Reconstructing my '642 after all the inlet malarchey... Nipped everything up, ignition on to check nothing smoked, turbo actuator moved etc, then POP! Diesel everywhere... Low pressure oteker clip decided it didn't want to grip anymore. I never knew a low pressure diesel hose could squirt over 10 foot. Starting with everything in the engine bay and most of my upper body as I was leaning over the bay. Thankfully yours was an easy fix, Did you say it was a leak off pipe going to the return line?

OP
L

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
Hi Monkeh, yes it was the small return pipe.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom