Space Saving Wheel

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
We have always been used to having a spare wheel in our car and Keith in particular struggles with just having the canister of sealant and air pump that is supplied with our current car.

He's been looking at buying a space saving wheel to keep in the boot of the car and I just thought I would see what others opinions are on this. There isn't a huge amount of boot space in the A Class as it is and I guess something like that would need to be secured safely too and not sure how easy that would be :geek:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
id imagine that if theres a spare wheel well, then MB will be able to supply a space saver and the required mechanism (whether its a bolt of some description or other means) quite readily for an appropriate amount of ££££

alternatively you might find what you need on ebay or similar from an accident damaged, written off car. of course, if the spare wheel well is big enough, id be tempted to pop to the local scrappy for a full sized spare wheel and, if you are lucky, whatever holds the wheel down under the boot carpet will also fit your current car. do also check under the rear of the car as some cars have no spare wheel well but carry the spare on a bracket physically underneath the car. the mounting points may be there if the A class uses that set-up on cars with a spare wheel.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The A Class fits the spare wheel in the traditional place. However I would check as Pete says that the bracket for mounting it exists in your car...

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
Yet another reason to ask - why did you sell your C250Cgi??:(:(

Good question, I blame Keith for not encouraging me to drive it, he blames me for not being a more competent driver, can't win!

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Mrs antijam won't drive the SLK - and that's supposed to be a 'girly' car! She claims it's too big and the top of the dash 'reflects too much'? Ske's quite happy driving our S-Max though, which has to be at least twice the size! :confused:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
he never was, was he :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've suggested that EmilysMum drive my R Class ....... not a chance and the argument isn't worth it :rolleyes:
I have a battle keeping Mrs LK out of the 230....!
I wouldn't mind her driving it so much if she was aware its not the same width as her MINI!

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
Mrs 13156 has the CLK convertible as her daily donkey. Years ago we agreed that we should have a fun car for the weekends and a sensible one for carting the grannies and grumpies around. Mine was the sensible C Class but now that it's gone, I have the Kuga which suits me just fine. I really like it and I still get to drive the CLK at the weekends and enjoy it even more.

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
The A Class fits the spare wheel in the traditional place. However I would check as Pete says that the bracket for mounting it exists in your car...

Can't see anywhere for it, I thought the traditional place was under the carpet in the boot, but as far as I know all we have under there is the silly box with the glue and pump, maybe I am missing something?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Lyn, If its any help I have run a Smart Roadster for 4 years and covered over 60,000 miles in it in that time. I have had 1 puncture which was a screw in the tread which resulted in a slow leak. Removing the screw and using a tyre repair kit (no goo) and pumping it back up took 3-4 minutes and was quicker and cleaner than swapping wheels around.

This is the kit I used:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...672-58e9-91c3-dc604cc21fe0&pf_rd_i=5136355031

Essentially you find the leak, remove the object and using the spiral shaped awl on the right ream out the hole. Then insert a brown strip into the tool on the left, push it into the hole and quickly pull the tool out leaving the strip in the hole. Then using the knife (optionally) trim the excess off.

We have travelled across the France in the Smart and whilst it was un-nerving the first time having seen how easy it is to fix a leak its not a concern at all anymore.

This kit won't help if you clatter a kerb or destroy the tyre on an object in the road but it will cope with a good proportion of punctures most people will have.

The issue with a spacesaver wheel is that when you need to use it you now have to find a home for a full sized wheel (usually dirty and probably wet (since punctures always happen in the rain). They also normally happen when the car is full of stuff.....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I have a battle keeping Mrs LK out of the 230....!
I wouldn't mind her driving it so much if she was aware its not the same width as her MINI!
Mrs L flat refuses to drive the 63!
I keep saying in Eco mode it’s hardly much different any other car (Pinocchio moment), but still...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You know what- if you’re up a country road or on the side of the motorway, well more or less anywhere except on your own drive- it’s just plain dangerous these days I believe to be changing wheels at the side of the road or sticking goo in or repairing tyres and reinflating in some way- I tell Mrs L if anything happens dial the breakdown services...

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Can't see anywhere for it, I thought the traditional place was under the carpet in the boot, but as far as I know all we have under there is the silly box with the glue and pump, maybe I am missing something?
many cars store them underneath the actual boot floor. Peugeots always did, some Fords did, pretty much ALL vans and 4x4s do....

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom