Spec my next car please:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Not necessarily. They DO have self levelling rear suspension which uses air bags, but that’s not the same as Airmatic. Standard coil springs and struts on all corners.

Are they steel coil springs all round? As above, a R Class uses the same bags at the back for self levelling ...

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
What does everyone think of the W204s though? Other than some having bland interiors; are they known to be reliable and have good strong engines?

I love my W204, it is a lovely place to be, the interior is not bland but simple and well and out, 220CDi are good and reliable providing great fuel economy.

I had a W203 before and the 204 is a massive step forward

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No longer own a Mercedes Benz
I love my W204, it is a lovely place to be, the interior is not bland but simple and well and out, 220CDi are good and reliable providing great fuel economy.

I had a W203 before and the 204 is a massive step forward

Sorry didn't mean to sound rude when I said the interiors were bland. I'm assuming they have a "regular" suspension set up too?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry didn't mean to sound rude when I said the interiors were bland. I'm assuming they have a "regular" suspension set up too?

I got your meaning, I prefer a "clean looking" dash. They have a standard spring and shock set up

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I got your meaning, I prefer a "clean looking" dash. They have a standard spring and shock set up

Thank for understanding. Hmm in that case that is a big tick in the box for the W204 for me. You have the 220 CDI engine; do you know if that's the OM646 evo engine? Have you had any issues with your car as a whole and do you know of any "known" issues with them? I'm used to checking for "black death" symptoms on the W203 but largely it's been fine aside from one injector seal.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank for understanding. Hmm in that case that is a big tick in the box for the W204 for me. You have the 220 CDI engine; do you know if that's the OM646 evo engine? Have you had any issues with your car as a whole and do you know of any "known" issues with them? I'm used to checking for "black death" symptoms on the W203 but largely it's been fine aside from one injector seal.

Not sure which engine the 220 is, I have a 350CDi.

Rear sub frame bushes go but they are pretty bullet proof, try to get one with the arrow shaped indicators in the wing mirrors, loads to choose from out there.

For me it would have to have COMAND and Leather

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Are they steel coil springs all round? As above, a R Class uses the same bags at the back for self levelling ...
Mine certainly is. I know the Airmatic option uses full Airmatic struts all round.

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure which engine the 220 is, I have a 350CDi.

Rear sub frame bushes go but they are pretty bullet proof, try to get one with the arrow shaped indicators in the wing mirrors, loads to choose from out there.

For me it would have to have COMAND and Leather
Ah I've misread your earlier post when you referred to 220 CDI economy. Thanks for the pointer re: the wing mirrors and COMAND and Leather....I'll spend some time searching for something which fits.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah I've misread your earlier post when you referred to 220 CDI economy. Thanks for the pointer re: the wing mirrors and COMAND and Leather....I'll spend some time searching for something which fits.

No worries, I had a quick look on AT and there are hundreds for sale if searching from £6-8k, it depends on what you deem acceptable mileage wise so you can be picky.

Shame you don't want petrol as my father is selling his C250CGi Sport Estate (It is slightly over your budget though)

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No worries, I had a quick look on AT and there are hundreds for sale if searching from £6-8k, it depends on what you deem acceptable mileage wise so you can be picky.

Shame you don't want petrol as my father is selling his C250CGi Sport Estate (It is slightly over your budget though)

Ahh that is a shame about your fathers car not quite being right for my needs. I'll see if I can whittle down the list on autotrader tonight that case. I've not used COMAND before but I understand it's a good extra to have if you can find one with it and seeing as though there are plenty out there it's worth hanging out for.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've not used COMAND before but I understand it's a good extra to have if you can find one with it and seeing as though there are plenty out there it's worth hanging out for.

It is essential IMO on a Merc as it gives iPod, Bluetooth, nav etc

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry (yet) another question: is the nav data held on disc or that old hat nowadays? Is it done via dealer updates or on memory cards? Does it have traffic data too?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Just remember when looking at the spec that there is only one spec worth having.
Malcolm spec.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry (yet) another question: is the nav data held on disc or that old hat nowadays? Is it done via dealer updates or on memory cards? Does it have traffic data too?

It is done via DVD, 2 disks you pop in run and take out. I just sold the 2016 disks :( It does have traffic data

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just remember when looking at the spec that there is only one spec worth having.
Malcolm spec.

I must've missed the Malcolm spec conversations....could you enlighten me please?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I must've missed the Malcolm spec conversations....could you enlighten me please?
Sorry - Malcolm always bought his cars with 'everything' - i.e. every conceivable option (or close to it).
Its generally referred to as 'Malcolm Spec'

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
What does everyone think of the W204s though? Other than some having bland interiors; are they known to be reliable and have good strong engines?

I really like my 2009 C220 W204 estate and plan to keep it for a very long time. At 168000 miles it's got a few gremlins that I didn't know about but Steve at Avantgarde spotted last week. Once they're done it'll be as good as new - it'll be back in the New Year Steve :)

The 220 diesel is surprisingly pokey with plenty of torque for snappy overtakes. I'm getting an average fuel consumption of 32mpg but that's because my daily commute is only 8 miles each way. On a longer run at "motorway speeds" I see 48 on the dash regularly and for long periods. If I were looking again I'd be sure to find one with Comand rather than the Audio 20 radio/CD player - I've replaced mine with an Android head unit and 7" touch screen.

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat but I might be tempted by an E Class too :)

Brizzle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 AMG Night Edition Bluetec Auto Estate (Feb 2016)
You have the 220 CDI engine; do you know if that's the OM646 evo engine?

The data card for my C220 just says OM646 - no mention of evo, sorry :(

Maybe the post-facelift models are evo?

OP
Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The data card for my C220 just says OM646 - no mention of evo, sorry :(

Maybe the post-facelift models are evo?

Thanks ever so much for the info. The Evo thing isn't a dealbreaker and it's probably more that I've mis-read or misunderstood other posts on the forum anyway :)

I like the idea of the E class W211 but the potential costs for things going wrong seem to be a lot higher than a more mechanical W204 and that's more or a dealbreaker for me. The search begins!

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom