Spent the day with a GranTurismo yesterday...

SteveX

Reaction score
Went to Hemmel Hampstead today to bring a GranTurismo back to town for a friend.

[attachment=1]IMG_4033.JPG[/attachment]

Had a bit of a delay as the manual boot release was malfunctioning, but was put right after a couple of hours on site.

It has the MC shift and sounded absolutely fantastic on downshifts in MCshift mode with sports on :)

Not quite as quick as I expected but still fairly rapid, the sat nav, air con and other bits are a bit dated (the centre console, sat nav and air con etc almost look like something from a saab), but then you don't buy one for that I guess! On the whole the interior is nice though, has colour coded inserts in the dash, doors etc and the seats are very Alfa-esq, supportive although very firm / hard with little adjustment, they do look great and have contrasting stitching. The steering wheel is nice, with huge paddles on each side. The ride is superb, it stays very flat with almost zero noticeable body roll even without skyhook suspension the setup makes the 20" rims almost not matter at all, it's a very comfy ride. Bizarrely, the best part of the car is going slow though... The MC Shift mode is so much fun, it blips on every down shift and sounds incredible, with a raw growl and lots of pops and burbles, it literally does sound like a ferrari (with that ferrari engine not surprising I guess!) so you end up shifting up early just to shift back down!

[attachment=0]mcs.jpg[/attachment]

The most annoying part is probably the insane amount of bleeps and buzzes the car makes when it goes into reverse, and at only 9k miles the clutch is already 37% worn!

I didn't actually realise these have a clutch, I thought they were all full on auto boxes, but the MC shift version is a semi-auto with a auto shifting manual box with clutch.

Anyway it was an interesting day, (apart from the M25 closure, and M4, and just about everywhere I tried to get home!

I'm not sure if I am honest it's worth 60k, but, for sure, it sounds great and is good fun!

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
Went to Hemmel Hampstead today to bring a GranTurismo back to town for a friend.

[attachment=1]IMG_4033.JPG[/attachment]

Had a bit of a delay as the manual boot release was malfunctioning, but was put right after a couple of hours on site.

It has the MC shift and sounded absolutely fantastic on downshifts in MCshift mode with sports on :)

Not quite as quick as I expected but still fairly rapid, the sat nav, air con and other bits are a bit dated (the centre console, sat nav and air con etc almost look like something from a saab), but then you don't buy one for that I guess! On the whole the interior is nice though, has colour coded inserts in the dash, doors etc and the seats are very Alfa-esq, supportive although very firm / hard with little adjustment, they do look great and have contrasting stitching. The steering wheel is nice, with huge paddles on each side. The ride is superb, it stays very flat with almost zero noticeable body roll even without skyhook suspension the setup makes the 20" rims almost not matter at all, it's a very comfy ride. Bizarrely, the best part of the car is going slow though... The MC Shift mode is so much fun, it blips on every down shift and sounds incredible, with a raw growl and lots of pops and burbles, it literally does sound like a ferrari (with that ferrari engine not surprising I guess!) so you end up shifting up early just to shift back down!

[attachment=0]mcs.jpg[/attachment]

The most annoying part is probably the insane amount of bleeps and buzzes the car makes when it goes into reverse, and at only 9k miles the clutch is already 37% worn!

I didn't actually realise these have a clutch, I thought they were all full on auto boxes, but the MC shift version is a semi-auto with a auto shifting manual box with clutch.

Anyway it was an interesting day, (apart from the M25 closure, and M4, and just about everywhere I tried to get home!

I'm not sure if I am honest it's worth 60k, but, for sure, it sounds great and is good fun!
Steve any chance you could repost the pics? They don't seem to have attached, either way, sadly, I can't see them!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Lovely cars but MC Shift is to be avoided, they need clutches at 50% worn at £3k a pop, if he finds a good indy then loads of Alfa Romeo parts on them for around 1/4 of the Masser price.

Lovely to look at though

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Well I'm just getting one sorted, the clutch things scary sounding but @ £1500 fitted ...... average imho.
and unless your driving it like a knob all the time they last ages.

My 4200GT is on the same clutch after 6 years and its the Duo box F1 paddle system everyones afraid of, no problem at all been abused a bit by me too, a lot in fact !!! :)

Other half drives with foot resting on clutch pedal and two replacements later her
Mini clubman 4x4 is about the same price for a dmf and 3 piece clutch fitted :)

You have to be brave with the throttle as most back off before full rpm's are reached,
that Ferrari engine loves to be revved, the power just keeps coming all the way through the red.

@ £120k new ....... what year was the one you picked up ?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/maserati/granturismo/coupe/4.7-petrol-2dr-2007-a89766f9fdb46a4b7693357c30bfca91?id=a89766f9fdb46a4b7693357c30bfca91&sort=year-desc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-from=500&make=MASERATI&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=se20rz&radius=1500&model=GRANTURISMO&page=1

Last edited:
OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Sorry chaps, went away for a few days after posting.

A few piccies and a vid of the sound :)

We had a play in / with both cars was fun, but, the old merc felt like it had more torque and the edge :)

Attachments

• IMG_4033.JPG
    IMG_4033.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4042.JPG
    IMG_4042.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4054.JPG
    IMG_4054.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
SteveX

SteveX

Reaction score
Wow Jbell, that does sound a bit extreme.

One thing to note, for sure the car is NOT an auto. If you floor it then change gear the clutch slips / burns, you have to treat it with care and let off. Neither of us actually realised this until we drove it!

I'll tell him to take a peak because I feel Swindon Ferrari and Maserati will pull his pants down!

West, that doesn't sound too bad, about an old 911 price for the clutch or average for a performance car. I think the OMC will charge double that though!

I like the 4200, have been tempted by a gransport a few times. True about Mini's, wifes old mini cost 1200 for a clutch and that was discounted!

True, I think the power swells on the car, it feels a little lack luster if I am honest at low or mid RPM, where as when getting in the Merc it just pulls hard from 3k on when you floor it, plus not letting off on the shift it's just constant power.

The Mazzer has 9k on the clock, 61reg, cost just shy of 60k but is expected I guess with one owner and the mileage.

The road trip home was fun although a bit annoying with so many diversions, we were both terrorising the local villages with the twin V8's :)

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
That is lovely and sounds sublime. Keep looking at older Granturismos dipping below £30k now.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
That is lovely and sounds sublime. Keep looking at older Granturismos dipping below £30k now.
I saw a 2007 GT on Autotrader a week or so ago for £23k! Seller wanted a quick sale.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Wow Jbell, that does sound a bit extreme

Parts prices are very high even by MB standards

Clutch change on a 4200:

Flywheel £249
Release Bearing £419
Clutch £899 (very cheap price for this)

£1567

Plus labour

Have a look on www.sportsmaserati.co.uk, great forum

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom