Spring Perch collapse W210 99e 300TD

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
was driving recently & the drivers side suspension spring shot out & the suspension collapsed, thankfully wasn't doing 70mph! It's a 99 300TD estate & wondering is it worth repairing(both sides prob need doing to be safe!) & who could do the spring perch welding & repair in Cheshire area Nr Warrington & it prob needs a mobile welder? Any idea of cost would be appreciated. I only recently found it as a major fault on 97-2000 merc W210's . Any advice would be appreciated as may just break for spares if it can't be repaired cost effectively, cheers

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The parts, perches are cheap and are riveted by MB when replacing but its not with your average "pop riveter".
You could still have it welded though.
A proper internal spring compressor and a few hours a side should get it up and running assuming there is no other damage.
So costs depend on hourly rate, parts prices give MB a ring, I think some one said around £20 a side from memory but you will have to confirm.
Mine with FMBSH was done F.O.C (last year I think) under Mobilo even after all these years.

Edit, it would probably be a good idea to have tracking checked afterwards.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
MB Tech would be my "go to" place in your area. Based near Winwick.

I'm not 100% that it's a job they'd take on, though they'd certainly know someone who would sort it for you.

As for breaking it, consider how long you've had the car, what you've spent on it, how reliable it is (current situation excepted) and what would you replace it with? If it does everything you want, a repair may be the sensible way to go and, as mentioned above, parts are readily available and not overly expensive.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Not too costly to fix, if you want to keep it going.
But there will be something else awaiting...SLS pipes for me!

They're not worth breaking, I've tried.
Supply far exceeds demand (for the non-E55 210s).

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
Thanks guys for your replies, much appreciated. A well known garage wasn't interested in repairing but found someone who is I've just bought the spring mount part off eBay from a Newcastle based Mercedes trader, but can't find the backplate anywhere to buy, in fact I'm not sure what it's correct name is? Also is there a rubber at top of spring which goes into mount? bcos it looks like there isn't one with the mount I've bought. The mechanic is going to weld the back plate(when I can get one) onto car then weld the mount on, he says the welding isn't difficult but says the spring insert is extremely difficult? He says he will check the passenger side too & see if that needs doing too. £200 Quote to do drivers side! Just wondering wether to buy a new spring or will the old one do? I've been told the engine on it is brilliant & it sounds good so decided to try get the car fixed & hope there's no other serious bits that need doing. So far, as it was originally a do up project I've spent(2years ago) £750 on engine, all new glow plugs, new seals & fuel lines, new hydraulic pipe £100, new fuel pump & fuel line £50, gearbox recently reconditioned £750, new ecu £100 new key £200 & plus a few other costs. It needs a drivers door & two wings to make exterior tidy. The car is a nice drive & has a massive boot which comes in handy. Have noticed though the kick down acceleration works better in wet weather & then it really shifts? There aren't many of these models around anymore as it looks like most have been scrapped. I just think if it can be fixed fix it, (at reasonable cost)but you gotta remember it's a 18 year old car, cheers.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The pad on the top of the spring is removable and about £10 from MB. There are several different ones with different thicknesses. These are identified by 'burls' or lumps on the side of the pad. Luckily they are the same left and right so feel around the outside of the rubber pad, count the burls and order another.

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
The pad on the top of the spring is removable and about £10 from MB. There are several different ones with different thicknesses. These are identified by 'burls' or lumps on the side of the pad. Luckily they are the same left and right so feel around the outside of the rubber pad, count the burls and order another.
Ok thanks for the reply, will have a look,

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
Thanks guys for your replies, much appreciated. A well known garage wasn't interested in repairing but found someone who is I've just bought the spring mount part off eBay from a Newcastle based Mercedes trader, but can't find the backplate anywhere to buy, in fact I'm not sure what it's correct name is? Also is there a rubber at top of spring which goes into mount? bcos it looks like there isn't one with the mount I've bought. The mechanic is going to weld the back plate(when I can get one) onto car then weld the mount on, he says the welding isn't difficult but says the spring insert is extremely difficult? He says he will check the passenger side too & see if that needs doing too. £200 Quote to do drivers side! Just wondering wether to buy a new spring or will the old one do? I've been told the engine on it is brilliant & it sounds good so decided to try get the car fixed & hope there's no other serious bits that need doing. So far, as it was originally a do up project I've spent(2years ago) £750 on engine, all new glow plugs, new seals & fuel lines, new hydraulic pipe £100, new fuel pump & fuel line £50, gearbox recently reconditioned £750, new ecu £100 new key £200 & plus a few other costs. It needs a drivers door & two wings to make exterior tidy. The car is a nice drive & has a massive boot which comes in handy. Have noticed though the kick down acceleration works better in wet weather & then it really shifts? There aren't many of these models around anymore as it looks like most have been scrapped. I just think if it can be fixed fix it, (at reasonable cost)but you gotta remember it's a 18 year old car, cheers.

Mine is now 15 years old and 200,000 plus miles.They are an excellent vehicle and a source of pride and satisfaction.
My advice would be to assess its potential carefully, seek a good Indie who can advise and repair/maintain economically on a prioritised basis and enjoy the pleasure of owning and driving a £35,000 Mercedes.

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
Mine is now 15 years old and 200,000 plus miles.They are an excellent vehicle and a source of pride and satisfaction.
My advice would be to assess its potential carefully, seek a good Indie who can advise and repair/maintain economically on a prioritised basis and enjoy the pleasure of owning and driving a £35,000 Mercedes.
Thanks, it will be nice though to eventually get it looking like new...one day

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
Ps a diesel mechanic came up to me a few months ago while I was parking, he said your engine sounds amazing (for an old merc)he said he dealt specifically in Diesel engines & the engine on mine was one of the best diesels merc ever built! Just under 190 thousand miles so far.

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
Hi, just got quote off Mercedes dealer for spring mount plate, £208 + vat this includes the dampener bit too. The mount cup was £30, so in all with £200 labour nearly £500 too repair drivers side spring perch suspension? Surely the plates got to be cheaper somewhere else?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi, just got quote off Mercedes dealer for spring mount plate, £208 + vat this includes the dampener bit too. The mount cup was £30, so in all with £200 labour nearly £500 too repair drivers side spring perch suspension? Surely the plates got to be cheaper somewhere else?
By spring cup I'm guessing you're referring to the rubber pad the spring sits in? £30 is a lot more than I paid from MB that's for sure - I recall £9 or so at the most.

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
IMG_5374.PNG IMG_5378.PNG IMG_5379.PNG O

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
Hi, no I mean the metal round mount in the image was £30, the rubber like pad comes with striker plate(I think it's called!)

By spring cup I'm guessing you're referring to the rubber pad the spring sits in? £30 is a lot more than I paid from MB that's for sure - I recall £9 or so at the most.

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
If anyone knows if I can get the merc suspension perch mount plate anywhere else for a better price it would be much appreciated.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Surely all you need is part A2106260119 and not the whole inner wing section? You can use flat panel steel to reinforce around it if needed?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
if yr putting in the whole panel , i think to do a nice job it would be about 400 a side job completed start ,finish ,wheel off and driving away.. so if less ur doing well

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
Hi, it's not the whole inner wing section, it's just a plate that the mount cup welds onto to reinforce the rusted away area, If this is not reinforced then it could collapse again. I've been informed that it's easier just buying the plate than messing around making a plate with steel; although I suppose it would be stronger?

OP
Saxonrider

Saxonrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300td 1999 estate
IMG_5509.jpg Diagram of parts for this...no 145 - 140 & 71, think £208 plus vat for 140 part(plate) is expensive, especially when it is a known major fault by Mercedes!

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hi, it's not the whole inner wing section, it's just a plate that the mount cup welds onto to reinforce the rusted away area, If this is not reinforced then it could collapse again. I've been informed that it's easier just buying the plate than messing around making a plate with steel; although I suppose it would be stronger?

tho putting the whole panel in is more expensive ,you will know its about as strong as it can be ,it should look profesionaly done. and will likely not advesly efferct the value of the motor

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom