Squeaking/Creaking rear suspension

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Was checking the shocks pre MOT and realised back right wheel makes a huge squeak/creak when pressed down. Something like opening an old pram mechanism. I had heard a little squeak while driving and thought it might be belt squeaking or something but out the car next to it it is rather louder and deeper.

So I jacked car up and wheel does not move in any direction, shock absorber absorbs shocks, ride height correct, etc.

So is it just some rubber drying out and should soaking area with silicone spray help? I assume if not dangerous the noise is not an MOT failure in itself.

It's done a lot of miles over uneven mountain roads and last two weeks have been around 40 degrees so maybe that's why it's dried out? Any tips appreciated,
Ben

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Most times it's the lower outer bush which is pressed into the hub.......

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most times it's the lower outer bush which is pressed into the hub.......
Thanks. Is that an MOT failure/dangerous or just annoying?

Is it easy to replace?

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Most of us have had this noise from time to time .The multi link suspension is the fault .It may be just dry or worn out bushes and rubbers . I had the same last summer and did mine with old ATF fluid .But this dry weather as bought it back again . Now i have purchased a few tins of silicone spray . So this is the next jub in line.., And this is not an mot failure , unless play is found.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Had a look underneath it and that rear suepension is quite busy... can't make head nor tale of what bush I'm looking for but some liberal application of silicone has stopped it squeaking for now.

I remember Terry from WG telling me 18 months ago (last time it went to a proper mechanic) that the bush was past it's best so makes sense it's that that's causing it. Regarding play, car wanders more in wind than it used to but not as bad as my other W124s. The tyre wear on all four tyres is perfectly straight and I can't feel any obvious play so will see if it gets through MOT anyway.

Other than that what else is there to check before a 2k trip and then MOT? all tyres/lights/key electrics things they test work, rust in battery bulkhead and around front jacking points has not got any worse and always passed like that before (I just sprayed it all with Dinitrol again), siliconed all rubber bits I can see, checked all levels and tyre pressures and not lost anything...

It did get to 105 degrees the other day but that was a 1,000m climb in 38 degrees with 3 passengers so I'm guessing this is acceptable and not a cooling system fault?

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
You might take a look at the front and rear propshaft rubber coupling for splits .Take some water along with you and extra OVP relay along with a fuel pump relay . Set of plugs . Puncture type of repair in a canister in case of a flat .Good luck,, and let us now after the trip .

Doug1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 w210 e300td
Try testing the shocks with the foot brake off, the brake shoes can squeak when the car is pushed down ( they do this as the wheel moves a tiny amount as car goes down unless the brake is put on very hard. You may notice similar noise when oarked on a hill and exiting the car etc.
Other groans can be the end of a coil spring broken off and it stays in place but galls and groans as suspension works, soak the spring ends/seats with water which lubricates them and they will go silent if they are broken.

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
The wandering may also be caused by a worn steering damper.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Steering damper and prop shaft couplings replaced a couple of years ago. The squeaking was tested with the handbrake off to eliminate this as a possiblity. It also happens when the car is moving, though not since I silcioned it. I'm sort of expecting an MOT fail as it's been 35k miles since it's been in a garage and had anything done. Haven't missed the Spanish mechanics for sure and just hoping it passes. Despite slight wandering this is the straightest driving W124 I've had. The others also had new steering dampers and always passed the MOT but were more wandery. I think these cars are just sensitive to camber/wind, there's many people who claim they pull to the left (or right) depdnding which way the road camber is.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Squeaking has stayed away since spraying with silicon and MOT passed without any mention of the rear suspension! :) The only thing that could be related to the wandering they mentioned is the steering box having play...but said it wasn't dangerous and was "normal" for an older car

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I thought you said it was grinding noise .I to have the noise you talk bout .Its the multi link set up on the rear axle. I sprayed mine with old ATF fluid ,now it comes and goes as i dont use the car as its ment to be used . The rubber dries out and cracks form inside the bushes .,And the oil will put back some estomers its lost over the years .

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought you said it was grinding noise .I to have the noise you talk bout .Its the multi link set up on the rear axle. I sprayed mine with old ATF fluid ,now it comes and goes as i dont use the car as its ment to be used . The rubber dries out and cracks form inside the bushes .,And the oil will put back some estomers its lost over the years .

Well more creaking than grinding and at times a bit squeaking too. It's hard to describe noises I suppose. But it seesm to have disappeared or atleast I don't hear it any more even with windows down.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Good so you know what to do the next time .I think the dry weather pays a big part ,.If you sit in the boot and move up and down it will make noise show up

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom