SRS - frt psgr side airbag ignition squib

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 2003 / Acura RL 2003
My SRS light was burning and an indie checked and got this reading: "The resistance value in the ignition circuit containing component R12/10 (Front passenger side airbag ignition squib) is too high." The indie said he didn't have the tools to go further and advised me to see the dealer. Anyone have any idea what this might be?:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This could be a poor connection under the seat, but the big problem is that even if you find the problem it still can only be turned off on STAR

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
does sound like a poor connection, often unplugging and plugging back in will fix it.

don't bother looking under the seat though!

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
does sound like a poor connection, often unplugging and plugging back in will fix it.

don't bother looking under the seat though!

Why not look under the seat? Won't I be able to find connections?

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This could be a poor connection under the seat, but the big problem is that even if you find the problem it still can only be turned off on STAR

so you're just referring to what is required to get the SRS problem message to go away, correct? And, should I not be able to check connections under the seat?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes one has to start somewhere, the connector is on the front rail, just unplug it give a spray with some non drying switch cleaner, just put the seat back and raise it to get to it.

Some circuits in cars these days are signals only, they carry no current at all, this makes them liable to get high resistance giving these codes

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i said do not bother looking under the front seat because there are no connections for the front passenger airbag there. this is based on the fault code definition you supplied.

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes, but it was front passenger "side" airbag, and the passenger seat does have an SRS sticker on the backrest.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
so sorry, was reading that as 'passenger-side airbag', as opposed to 'passenger sidebag'.

according to WIS you have 3x wires to the airbag, with connectors, yes, under the seat.

wire colours green/red, grey/white and brown going to blue yellow and brown.

there are apparently 2x seperate plug connectors, just unplug and reconnect all connectors (ignition off) and see if the code can be erased. might even be worth tightening the pins a little.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Do be careful, the squib is the explosive device which inflates the airbag, as with all explosive devices the only way to be adequately safe when they are initiated is to be far enough away from them.

Accidents with explosives are far from unknown and the unaware, untrained and uncaring are most often the ones involved in causing the incident.

Airbags must be handled with great respect, thick gloves, a face mask and thick coveralls should be sufficient to minimise injury in the rare case of unwanted ignition when a change of underwear will also be required. In my distant past I have worked on a production plant for these very devices, believe me about the underwear.

Proding about with a multimeter might in rare cases of excess sensitivity set off the squib, the test current should be kept as low as possible, a test power source of less than 10mA from 1.3v was the maximum permitted in my explosives test days.

If you must use a multimeter to test the devices only do it on a higher range, say>1kohm to keep the test current low, do not use an auto ranging instrument.
Do not use an Avo 8 and the like on its low ohms range since this will almost certainly guarantee ignition.

I have found 12 and 22 ohm 1/2 watt resistors frigged into the airbag wiring instead of the once intact squibs to make the warning lamp go out, mostly on crash damaged vehicles which have been repaired on the cheap, this stunt of course leaves the occupants without the airbags in the next accident.

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Star Hookup

so sorry, was reading that as 'passenger-side airbag', as opposed to 'passenger sidebag'.

according to WIS you have 3x wires to the airbag, with connectors, yes, under the seat.

wire colours green/red, grey/white and brown going to blue yellow and brown.

there are apparently 2x seperate plug connectors, just unplug and reconnect all connectors (ignition off) and see if the code can be erased. might even be worth tightening the pins a little.

Thanks Alex. I've cleaned the wires and will ask my indie to see if the faults will clear. Can anyone tell me how much work is involved in hooking up to Star to clear the faults? I don't even know where the hookup is on my E500.

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
please remmber to have key out of igntion when messing around with SRS

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes, no key when messing with SRS. Do you know anything about the STAR hookup?

drdre78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c200 200
hi you connect star same way as your india connect his machine up.Just star is mercedes program

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, but I'm asking 'where' the connection is located?....under dash, in console, under hood?

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Star Hookup - is it costly?

I cleaned my connections and asked my Indie while I was in for other work if he could see if the SRS codes would clear, but he wanted $50 to do that! I thought it would be a 5 minute exercise to just plug in and tell it to clear the codes. They gave me some story about having to hook up to the manufacturer. Is it really any cost to them? I know they are probably using something similar to STAR instead of STAR.

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did unplug all the connectors and replug. The SRS code ("9243 - the resistance value in the ignition circuit containing component R12/10 (Front passenger side airbag ignition squib) is too high"). The SRS code would not clear after that. If the connections are not the problem, does anyone know what other potential problems might exist and approximate cost for the dealer to repair?:lol: Thanks so much for your input.

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
More than 2 years since the thread was started...not fixed yet!!!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom