STARTING PROBLEM-CAN U HELP! - 190 D - WONT START

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulw

Reaction score
My girlfriend has a 190 D - 1992 Manual mercedes. The first problem started last week, she had been shopping and when she got back into her car and turned the key there was nothing there, her dad came out and and messed about with the connection to a black small box situated in the engine compartment near the the battery, the car then started but when she got home the electric sunroof, radio and wash wipers would not work. I then checked it with my meter and found that there was no power going to the 5 fuses to the bottom of the fuse board(BUT THE CAR STARTED)
We went out in the car that night and it started o.k.
The next day she turned the key and there was nothing there, not even the instrument panel was working.
Has anybody come across this problem on their mercedes, if so please post your comments.
Most Appreciated.
If you need more info please state.
Thanks
paul

David Halsey

Reaction score
STARTING PROBLEM-CAN U HELP!

Paul,
Sounds like it could be the switch on the back of the steering lock

mpowell

Reaction score
STARTING PROBLEM-CAN U HELP!

Sounds something electrical or there are two faults.  I had something similar with my 190 which is a common fault.  There is a little bit at the back of the barrell/mechanism that turns something else when you turn the key.  Technical description I know!!!  The bit that turns the other bit often breaks so when you turn the key nothing happens.  I could start mine sometimes by giggling the key a bit in the lock.  Be careful of this, it is supposed to be an @rse if you snap the key in the lock.  What I did to start it, and test it, is to pull the started connections apart and touch the end onto the live battery terminal, remember to plug it back in once its started!!! It's Dead simple to do the connection is just next to the battery.  If it starts then it tells you the problem is from that connection to the key!!!!  I cant remember if my dash lights came on though.  Hope this helps.  It's worth a try anyway, though it sounds like you did something similar.  If it is that, i got mine replaced second hand for about £20 + labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom