Starting problem

JohanS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203
Hi to all new member. Can someone please give me some advice my c280 2007 w203 with 113000 kilometers swings over but battle to start. Sometimes it just swing and other times it start but idling is splattering and other time it starts ok . Just come back from dealer today they replaced pump auxilia,mounting pla,feul filter and clamps charged me a lot of cash. but problem is not solved. Is there a member that experienced something similar with their car or maybe know of such a problem. Thank you.

Last edited:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Is it a petrol car? Do you have a battery/alternator warning flash up?

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Ok then a fuel pressure issue it may be. Any smoke on start up?

WG M-B

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
Does it happen straight away or only if the vehicle is left for a while?

OP
J

JohanS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203
Does it happen straight away or only if the vehicle is left for a while?

At MB service station it was fine drove home stopped for about 20 min. Then drove about 10 kilometers parked for about 1 hour , then when I tried it battled to start. Eventually started drove home switched off tried again battled again. Looks like when the vehicle is being used and hot that the fault occurs

Vamps

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I think I would be re-visiting the dealer who diagnosed fuel pump as the problem..

william28ho

Reaction score
Hi - it sounds like the cps (crank position sensor) problem. Only happens when the engine has a good run (hot) and then refuse to start

I hope this has help

C23o silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 kompressor Coupe
Hi WG-MB,hope you are well, I came across your post after reading similar symptoms from the guy who originally posted the thread,and your question pointed out that you could maybe help me make sense of what's happening on my car,why did you ask if it's a petrol car and if warning lights come on? Thanks in advance. My name is Anthony, new to the forum.

C23o silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry yes petrol no warning lights
Good day, hope you are well, have you sorted the problem and what was it? Thanks in advance, my name is Anthony and am new to the forum

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Anthony, not sure what the result was, would be nice to hear if the OP had it solved.
I'd look at the CPS for sure...

C23o silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Welcome Anthony, not sure what the result was, would be nice to hear if the OP had it solved.
I'd look at the CPS for sure...
Hi John, going to get the car at the dealer now, my car has similar symptoms but the previous post from WG M-B pointed in the direction of what my car was doing, and the dealer can't seem to give me concrete evidence as to the cause.

C23o silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi John, going to get the car at the dealer now, my car has similar symptoms but the previous post from WG M-B pointed in the direction of what my car was doing, and the dealer can't seem to give me concrete evidence as to the cause.
My apologies if my replies sound a bit shrewd, or rude, but I am at breaking point and frustrated.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My apologies if my replies sound a bit shrewd, or rude, but I am at breaking point and frustrated.
Not a problem, without stating the obvious it sounds like you need to find a better mechanic who knows these cars. Apologies I'm not aware of your situation and how easy that would be...

C23o silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not a problem, without stating the obvious it sounds like you need to find a better mechanic who knows these cars. Apologies I'm not aware of your situation and how easy that would be...
Hi John, just got back from the dealer now, don't mean to question your opinion,but what makes you sure it's the cps?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
If its the same as the Op's your issues come when trying to start the car hot, right? I'm not SURE its that- but its something I have experienced before - car stalling and EML coming on too- replaced the CPS and off I went! (This was in a C180 a number of years ago!)
One of the indies on here will likely pick up this thread and have other ideas possibly but that's my twopence worth...

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Hi John, just got back from the dealer now, don't mean to question your opinion,but what makes you sure it's the cps?

I'd go with the CPS as well. The CPS is a simple coil moulded in a block of plastic. The coil uses very fine wire and as it expands with heat and cools again the lead wire snaps. Sometimes it reconnects when cold and breaks again when hot. The rarely show a code until they finally drop dead. On some the tachometer will fidget as well when the motor is playing up. They ladt about 10 years. I've lost two, one on a Range Rover and one on a Triumph motorcycle.

The CPS is one of the few things that will kill your ignition stone dead. I always keep a spare in the glovebox.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
M113 engines are notorious for the CPS (its only about £50 and 15 minutes swearing to change).
The Smart Roadster uses the exact same part and it has the exact same issue. I've had to replace it on both my E240 and my Smart Roadster and in both cases the symptom was inability to start when the engine was warm but fine when cold.
The Roadster did it after a 20 minute drive, stopped engine to get fuel and it wouldn't restart for 20 minutes.
The E Class was just after I test drove it (but before I paid for it) and it would run for 10 minutes then die for 30.

Not sure if the M111 or M271 engine use the same part but if so....

C23o silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi guys,thanks so much for your input and expertise,really do appreciate it, just want to find if the cps unit we talking about is the same one,the crankshaft position sensor? Have the car back,car goes beyond 90 degrees hot and car is fine,fuel level has dropped below quarter tank and still running,

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom