Staying safe in London

denchen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 B180d W247
What about rigging up a stop button, the same as some outboard motors, and wire the clip to your waste. If he clobbers you first with an iron bar or something, you are not going to do much self defence anyway, but if the clip comes away the scroat wont be riding your bike away.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
What about rigging up a stop button, the same as some outboard motors, and wire the clip to your waste. If he clobbers you first with an iron bar or something, you are not going to do much self defence anyway, but if the clip comes away the scroat wont be riding your bike away.

They steal bikes without the engine running. The guy on the other bike pushes the stolen bike with his foot.

But it would be effective most of the time I'd think.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think I would want an "unfortunately" exploding petrol tank on mine. I am a Neanderthal and how am I supposed to know my remote alarm receiver isn't safe to go in the tank.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
and the next issue,
if you defend yourself Alex, and the scrote is injured, the prosecution could use this thread to send you down.

Taking the law into your own hands, even if there isn't any, might be acceptable in the US but a court here wouldn't sympathise even if we all would.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
and the next issue,
if you defend yourself Alex, and the scrote is injured, the prosecution could use this thread to send you down.

Taking the law into your own hands, even if there isn't any, might be acceptable in the US but a court here wouldn't sympathise even if we all would.

Whilst that may be true, I would actually not care in the event that I am being attacked. Primary aim at that stage will be to stay alive and reasonably uninjured. I would worry about the repurcusions next.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Christ you lot, you make London sound like Caracas in Venezuela FFS !! :shock:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Whilst that may be true, I would actually not care in the event that I am being attacked. Primary aim at that stage will be to stay alive and reasonably uninjured. I would worry about the repurcusions next.

This is a good argument. One thing the US statistics show is that the more people go (contemporaneously) armed in an area or region where armed crime is expected, the fewer the incidence of "successful" crime and greater the incidence of "failed" crime. Where that extends to home invasions it's very stark- those who do not actively fight to defend their homes will be executed.

So your reasoning is sound, AND the law here entitled you to self defence provided reasonable force is used.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Christ you lot, you make London sound like Caracas in Venezuela FFS !! :shock:

Nowhere near as classy though...

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
where armed crime is expected, the fewer the incidence of "successful" crime and greater the incidence of "failed" crime.

So your reasoning is sound, AND the law here entitled you to self defence provided reasonable force is used.

Going to where crime is expected might be necessary for some but I prefer to not go, and that includes America.
93 people per day killed by gun violence, that's more than 31,500 per year. On top of that over 18,000 use a gun to top 'em selves, it's no wonder with that sort of stress to live with.

I view a little differently in that the more weapons around the more likely to be adversely affected by them. No guns and no one gets shot.

Being able to defend one self is reasonable, but carrying something that can be viewed as a weapon, going prepared, might be seen as looking for the excuse to use it.

Don't get me wrong as I think the situation of acid throwing etc etc is a demonstration of the reducing morals of our society. But after the event there might be a defence that would exhaust the persons finances for years ahead and also be massively stressful for the whole family.
Damned if you do, dead if you don't. A losing outcome either way, possibly.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Are batons legal? I'd quite like one tbh.

I worked in London for many years. The key I think is to project confidence but not aggression. Fine line to walk though.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
This is a good argument. One thing the US statistics show is that the more people go (contemporaneously) armed in an area or region where armed crime is expected, the fewer the incidence of "successful" crime and greater the incidence of "failed" crime. Where that extends to home invasions it's very stark- those who do not actively fight to defend their homes will be executed.

The statistics between countrioes also show that the more accepted it is that people go (contamporaneously) armed the more violent crime and murders there are. We don't need nor want an arms race with criminals and the odd acid attacker, however horrific, should not change this.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The statistics between countrioes also show that the more accepted it is that people go (contamporaneously) armed the more violent crime and murders there are. We don't need nor want an arms race with criminals and the odd acid attacker, however horrific, should not change this.

It's nothing to do with acid attacks but motorbike theft following a mugging that Alex is trying to defend against.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Possibly the best advice is to wear a full face helmet and some kind of body type armour so that an acid or metal bar attack wont reach the body, something like motocross guys wear, this will give u time to retaliate, or fight back, with 2 of them the worry is the other one when you are concentrating on one of the scum. An up sleeve piece of chain fixed to a wrist might be worth looking at, where it will always be within reach.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
What a sad state of affairs that people have to live so defensively.
I feel sorry for the people who run scared from these ferals not everyone is capable of fighting back or defending themselves.
Even if you think you are a surprise attack can put you down in seconds.

m2287

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bentley Continental GT - S55K AMG - RR vogue - Mazda6 estate
Having practiced martial arts all my life I will always remember a 7th degree tae kwon do master being asked the best way to defend yourself against someone with a weapon. His answer was simple; run away as fast as you can.

If you want to demonstrate how you would do in a knife attack, buy a white long sleeved shirt and a red permanent marker. Get a friend to use the marker as the knife. I'm a second degree black belt, trained in several disciplines for 22 years and there is no way I would fight someone with a weapon, I'd rather put my hands up if I couldn't run.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Yep. I wouldn't tackle someone with a knife unless there was no other choice.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Hi all

I spend a lot of time riding around central London on a motorbike.

Recently, incidents of moped thieves causing terror has risen. They ride around unabated due to lack of police resources and get away with whatever they like.

This type of behaviour has steadily risen year on year for the past 5 years, in Great London as well. This scene is now a daily occurence:

I see them personally, every time I ride. Through red lights, up on pavements, etc

More concerning is that, over the past few months they have become more brazen and are now attacking people with weapons (acid, metal bars etc). This includes people on other motorbikes in London whilst waiting at traffic lights etc.

Theft of my bike whilst I am not on it is one thing, but how can I mitigate these forms of attack?

I am fully prepared to protect myself with a weapon, but I cant keep many appreciably sized weapons stashed on the bike (and I don't care what anyone says on the legality of it, if the police arent going to protect/prevent this then I WILL take it into my own hands if it happens to me).

alex a torch tazer if yr not worried about the law, you want i bring one back from burkina ,about 15 euro....

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom