Steering problem - 450 SLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Berry

Reaction score
My 450 SLC makes a strange grating noise whenever I turn the car to any sizeable degree.  This seems to happen more when I try to turn when at a low speed i.e. trying to get into/out of a parking space.  Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this ??

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
Steering problem

I have started to get a funny noise on my 190 as well when i turn full lock to the right. It sounds exactly the same as if the tyre were rubbing on the inside of the wheel arce, but its not that because it happens when stationary as well.......Strange.

Neil Eglintine

Reaction score
Steering problem

Matt, have you checked the tightness of your drive belt. It could be slipping. There's also some kind of valve that cuts in (or out) when you're on full lock.

Matt Crooke

Reaction score
Steering problem

Cheers Neil, i'll have a look at the weekend. I presume its the V belt you mean?

Tabs

Reaction score
Steering problem

I had a 190e with same problem. Jack the car up, using stands, and put on full lock. A nut and bolt on the bottom of the strut may be catching the lower arm. My 200te has a rubber bump stop on the end of the bolt. Doesn't make a sound!

Nosilw

Registered
Reaction score
Steering problem

Had a similar problem on my 85 280sl.  It was a loose  rear torsion bar link.  When you turn the torsion bar forces the link down and it rubs on the inside of the wheel.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom