Steering wheel lock w212

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
Hi all,

New W212 owner here, E250 petrol, 2013.

Probably a silly question - on all previous merc’s I’ve owned (older ones) when I put the ‘key’ inside the ignition (before turning the key) you can hear the steering wheel lock being released....

With this W212, when I put the ‘key’ inside, there is no sound, as if the steering wheel was never locked in the first place, is that normal ?

Also, completely off topic - I was topping up the washer fluid and noticed the top of the engine slightly shaking when idle.... nothing noticeable when inside the cabin... I’m guess that’s normal too? Below is a video....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zmpq4fHNFVr3VWKj8

Next on my list is to connect my icarsoft and hold my breathe as I search for error codes!!

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
There are no steering locks on these anymore and the video looks normal to me at the moment. If it gets worse (much worse) then engine mounts may need changed....

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Hi all,

New W212 owner here, E250 petrol, 2013.

Probably a silly question - on all previous merc’s I’ve owned (older ones) when I put the ‘key’ inside the ignition (before turning the key) you can hear the steering wheel lock being released....

With this W212, when I put the ‘key’ inside, there is no sound, as if the steering wheel was never locked in the first place, is that normal ?

Also, completely off topic - I was topping up the washer fluid and noticed the top of the engine slightly shaking when idle.... nothing noticeable when inside the cabin... I’m guess that’s normal too? Below is a video....
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zmpq4fHNFVr3VWKj8

Next on my list is to connect my icarsoft and hold my breathe as I search for error codes!!

My 2012 W212 doesnt have a steering lock noise you can hear either. So I guess either its silent, or they dont have one, as John says?!

My old W208, you could hear this click when you put the key in.

The vibration doesnt look too bad for a 4 cylinder. Have the drive belts stopped squealing, you said the car had been parked up for a while?

OP
C

cheapshots

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E250 (petrol) 2013
Thanks for letting me know about the steering wheel lock

The drive belts are a lot better now (still not 100%) - I'm hoping it will get better with time and little more silicon spray (I'm trying not to over-use it)

The car has travelled 200 miles in the last 5 months!

RE the engine sound / vibration - I was just alittle concerned because when I compare it with my current W204 (M271 engine, C250 petrol), there's quite a difference in that the M271 sounds more refined and less shaky....

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom