STOP GAP S600

Purso

MBO Forum Event Organiser
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
Hi

Probably a very very harsh title but my heart is desperate for an s65 (have whined about it on here and other forums) but given the scarcity and the fact I needed a car I have bought the next best thing a s600 until I find a s65.

The car I have bought is very highly specced facelift w221 which has distronic, lane assist, lane warning, night vision, fridge, rear entertainment, amg kit, contour and massage seats, designo interior, pan roof, keyless entry/start etc etc etc.

I picked her up yesterday and really love the car, she looks stunning in the flesh and is the perfect spec, today got to drop the kids off while they watched mr tumble and I had a massage with distronic working and a lovely chilled temperature.

I haven't even touched the surface with the gadgets comfort and capability of this car and am definitely in the honey moon period as its barely a day old :)

Anyway thought I would share some pictures and early thoughts;

Car looks amazing and for my honeymoon thoughts looks better than the car that replaced it.

Car in comfort mode is a little too lazy and I already find myself putting the gearbox in sport.

Digital dash holds a wealth of info and is a tad intimidating I am sure with time I will get used to where and what all the little icons mean.

The engine is never stressed, admittedly I have only done 150 miles but you think your getting moving and accumilating speed and look down and the revs hovering around 3500.

All in all the car is everything I could want from a car(barring it being a s65 :)) at the moment and I can't think of a car that would work better for me.

I feel like the car with an initial purchase price of 130k that has depreciated to a ridiculous point but is still modern enough to have cool gadgets and has performance which can keep up in a straight line with 85% of traffic feels like a tick so many box car!

Enough rambling and some pictures :)

Attachments

• IMG_9298.JPG
    IMG_9298.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 21.20.33.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 21.20.33.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 93

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Yeah, that's a real stopgap car alright ;)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Some stopgap! I'd be looking at a longish term if I were you, that is superb.
What is this 'Comfort' mode you speak of???

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
Haha thank you guys! Comfort maybe the wrong term it is the c on the gearbox c s m sport manual and I assumed comfort.

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
For clarity it was very tongue in cheek the stop gap :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Lol, I get you on C- it is Comfort, you're right! I was being facetious in that I for one have no idea what it does, because mine just goes straight into Sport as soon as I turn it on (or Sport + or AMG , or...)!!
I sometimes do dawdle through town admittedly in C

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
Thanks John kind words! Does your gearbox do the same pull off in 2nd if you are in comfort? I haven't had a merc for a long time and my memory isnt good.

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
Yeah, that's a real stopgap car alright ;)

Craig it was your numbers that helped with the decision as I had been mulling it, but part of the reason that stopped me was the fact I thought there were a lot more built and another would come up.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks John kind words! Does your gearbox do the same pull off in 2nd if you are in comfort? I haven't had a merc for a long time and my memory isnt good.
Exactly right, it does...just lazy

OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
Sport it is then :)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Loooks excellent. I will be doing my dashboard wood in either piano black (like yours) or Ebony wood metallic. Not sure yet.

51EsWZE5KZL._SY355_.jpg

The gearbox still starts in 1st in comfort mode on these late 722.6's.

If you are every around my area, give me a shout :)

Last edited:
OP
P

Purso

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s600 w221
Thanks Alex, I live in marlow and work in Harrow so not a million miles away and would love to see your car.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Alex, I live in marlow and work in Harrow so not a million miles away and would love to see your car.
I am quite often in that area, so I will give you a shout.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Comfort mode softens and slurs the gear changes too which makes it feel slower than it probably is.

Hi RX7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 63 now CL65
Congrats on your purchase, I rarely drive out of S mode and manual mode is even better when you fell like paying attention. It would appear that decent examples of these cars despite wealth warnings regarding coil packs sell in an instant.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Congrats on your purchase, I rarely drive out of S mode and manual mode is even better when you fell like paying attention. It would appear that decent examples of these cars despite wealth warnings regarding coil packs sell in an instant.
It's a shame the gearbox is linked to the suspension modes. I ride in c most of the time but only because it's too harsh in S.

The facelifts are separated.

Hi RX7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 63 now CL65
It's a shame the gearbox is linked to the suspension modes. I ride in c most of the time but only because it's too harsh in S.

The facelifts are separated.

I guess having spent a lifetime driving Lotus cars I find S mode lovely, my little VX220 Turbo track prepped car even with decent Quantums rides like an arse splitter.

Last edited:

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess having spent a lifetime driving Lotus cars I find S mode lovely, my little VX220 Turbo track prepped car even with decent Quantums rides like a arse splitter.

True, but it's still too hard for me. I want a jekyll and Hyde car.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom