Suspension arm has slight play in ball joint nearside front upper.

Coupe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 CLK 2.3K Convertible
This was an advisory on the mot. What do I need to order to replace on both side. Thanks.

Dave779

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes SL350 2003 and Nissan Qashqai 1.2 Tekna 2016
I just replaced lower front arms on my SL350 and apparantly the parts are made by lemforder for mercedes, and can be purchased at carpartsforless at half mercedes price and genuine parts. Hope this helps.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
A good Indy Luke just replace the joint by getting it in a press.

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. I think what confused me was the "upper" ball joint. I know there's a lower is there also a ball joint upper?

Appreciate any enlightenment.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I assume this is the part I need (36% off today)
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/M...a02045490fff7e1acde6f38484591ce33363f6&000320

or I think I can get on flee bay for similar price (same make). Probably do both sides. Anyone changed them?

Can anyone throw any light.
Thanks

Yes that's the upper arm. Cheers for the heads up on the 36% - just ordered some bits for my W210 :)
Not had to change one so not sure whats involved but if no answer by tonight I'll check on WIS.

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes that's the upper arm. Cheers for the heads up on the 36% - just ordered some bits for my W210 :)
Not had to change one so not sure whats involved but if no answer by tonight I'll check on WIS.
Thanks for replying.

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Finally got round to doing this. Left side had to remove the washer tank (didn't need to remove all connections - just enough to get room to the bolt underneath and move forward). Getting to the other end of the bolt was difficult. Removed cable bracket in the way and used a 16mm spanner on the end of a thin mole grip to get down there and hold whilst undoing other end (15mm). Probably get there with an extra long spanner? Had a ball joint splitter (nut type) for the joint underneath but had to grind a fair bit away in order make bigger and to get into the joint but eventually did it. Went with a nice ping. Reassembled using a couple of thick washers first on the ball joint to get it to bind then removing and replacing with new nut. Torqued when down to 45 and the long bolt to 65.
Right hand side had to remove water expansion tank and air filter again to move forward to get enough room to get to long bolt and similar to other side for other end. Helps to put wire around the arm and shock so it doesn't move about when arm removed.
Bit daunting at first as I couldn't work out how to get to the bolts but worked it out in the end. To reassemble the long bolt used a little super glue to hold the nut at a small angle in the spanner in order to get down to the bolt when threaded through. Bit tricky but with a bit of patience did it. Couldn't get the rubbers on the end of the bolts back assume they don't matter just keep the bolt clean. Might have a go when I feel like it.
Took about 3 hours all in with much thinking time. Probably take about 1 hour each side when you know what to do (I did check wheel bearings and repack with grease at the same time)

Bought the Lemforder ones from EurocarParts when the had 37% off so both sides cost just under£123. I think if you hunt around places including fleebay you can get similar if not cheaper prices. EurocarParts easier for me if it's the wrong part I can return.

Hope this might help anybody else.

Last edited:
OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to finish this off for peoples entertainment - managed to get both the rubber covers by using a small tub on my Henry vacuum cleaner and sucking the area below the bolts area and retrieving the rubber covers. To refit placed them in an open ended spanner with a touch of super glue at an angle and placed over the ends and pushed home with a long screwdriver. Pulled spanner away and pushed firmly home so they now cover both bolt ends. I can sleep soundly now.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom