Swirl flap linkage.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
You can do that too, althought that requires the manifold to be removed. If the manifold is clean and they are not causing issues, I would keep them connected, as they do increase torque and MPG.
Very true , but I was thinking if he has a 210 model the manifold is probably well gunged up by now (unless it's been done before ) ?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
You can do that too, althought that requires the manifold to be removed. If the manifold is clean and they are not causing issues, I would keep them connected, as they do increase torque and MPG.
odd that you noticed that as I noticed absolutely NO difference when I removed them from my old 203 with the OM611 engine.

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
odd that you noticed that as I noticed absolutely NO difference when I removed them from my old 203 with the OM611 engine.

There was a noticeable one on my 210, also with smoke production.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
I'm definitely with you on this Alexander Foti, I find it odd that most people seem to assume that swirl flaps are intrinsically "bad" where's the evidence ? yes the engineering of the mechanism may be substandard, but surely its better to maintain/repair than delete ??

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'm definitely with you on this Alexander Foti, I find it odd that most people seem to assume that swirl flaps are intrinsically "bad" where's the evidence ? yes the engineering of the mechanism may be substandard, but surely its better to maintain/repair than delete ??
I think the problem with the swirl flaps is that to replace them means the manifold needs to be removed and cleaned otherwise to replace the swirl flaps will be an expensive short term waste of time that could soon exceed the value of the vehicle (because of labour charges ) ???

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
I did remove and clean the manifold a couple of years back so it shouldn't be gunked up. The flaps seem OK as is the motor. For this reason I believe the best solution would be to replace the bar.

I've ordered one from MB, let's see if it sorts the problem.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
You might be unpleasantly surprised at how much gunk collects in just 2 years. Mongrel stuff.

Indeed....

on a BMW forum when I still had my 335d, America owners (where the whole market was quite new to tractor engine'd cars) would regularly have the inlet manifold removed and walnut blasted clean by the dealers "under warranty" one to two times a year.

On a BMW the 2005 to 2008 cars have brass butterflies and these were designed to fall off at 65k miles and take out the engine.
Later BMW cars went to plastic butterflies that are designed to fall off, and they only take out the turbo 100% of the time and the engine 50% of the time from 85k miles.

When asking about removal on mine the techs said most owners can't tell the difference, a few think at low revs it looses a tiny amount of power, but we're talking before the turbo actually adds anything so its "nothing minus 5 to 10%". I sold the car at 62 k miles, when I went back to the dealer 2 months later, allegedly the next owner had just cost him two turbos and other engine work... he wasn't happy... I thought well you're in the trade you should know what rubbish they are peddling !

On my father's 103k mile 280CDI, leaving the swirl flap motor disconnected makes no difference that he or I have noticed, with the 10p resistor in place the Car diagnostics and STAR doesn't know the difference either.

In fact fully open, dependant upon the amount of gunk, they'll be some effect of the secondary port being partially blocked that may create a similar affect. Its less likely to block fully as will always have airflow and the car won't breakdown. So one might lose much less than 5% at 1400rpm and end up with a 10% gain at 2000rpm where you want it, because there's less restriction from a fully open flap vs a partially open flap working a nearly completely blocked secondary port that if lucky is still awaiting fuse F44 popping and putting the car in limp mode...

Last edited:

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
I did remove and clean the manifold a couple of years back so it shouldn't be gunked up. The flaps seem OK as is the motor. For this reason I believe the best solution would be to replace the bar.

I've ordered one from MB, let's see if it sorts the problem.

You should have asked as I did have one spare.

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should have asked as I did have one spare.

Thanks for the kind offer, yes i should have asked lol. It's arriving tomorrow at MB and it has been paid for as my dealer no longer orders stuff in over the phone and no longer takes payment over the phone either due to fraud.

It was a stupid price but them most things are from them!

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
I can try and find it within my 6 crates of 210 613 bits and If I do, it's yours for the postage.

There is a chance that it got binned, as I de-flapped the spare manifold, intending to plug it.
There again, I rarely throw stuff ("what might come in handy") away!

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can try and find it within my 6 crates of 210 613 bits and If I do, it's yours for the postage.

There is a chance that it got binned, as I de-flapped the spare manifold, intending to plug it.
There again, I rarely throw stuff ("what might come in handy") away!

I will bear it in mind when I have something go kaput lol

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well got it on today, bit of a faff from above but just about doable with my fat hands.

Haven't driven it yet to see if there is any difference.

Exhaust clamp and gasket also replaced as clamp was broken and the fumes were killing me every time I worked under the bonnet.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom