T/A volume problem

dranoel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
180se b class 2016
:confused:The radio fitted to my w246 has been back to the dealership several times.
It has two problems, set the volume loud with the TA symbol showing on. I then press the mute button to mute the sound. In all the other cars we have owned, including an early b class w245 in the mute mode when there was a traffic announcement the sound came on loud and clear, when finished would go back to mute. Unfortunately in the w246 all you get, when there is a traffic announcement is an inaudible whisper. Yet another problem is the inability to hold/retain a local radio station. The dealership says there is nothing wrong. Is there anyone amongst the members that could give me their views as to whether this is correct?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
IIRC to adjust the TA volume you need to use the volume controls when a TA announcement is on and it will then retain that volume until you adjust it again.

OP
D

dranoel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
180se b class 2016
Thanks, will give it a go

OP
D

dranoel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
180se b class 2016
Thanks Bobcat. unfortunately did not work waited for traffic announcement turned volume up then waited for it to return to normal program then pressed mute tried a couple of times all resulted in the next TA being just a whisper

Spekky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V-Class Marco Polo 2018
I have the identical problem on my V-class, with whisper quiet TA when the radio is muted, whatever volume I set during an announcement. I have the Command online audio upgrade. The TAs sound fine if the radio is playing.

Has anyone found a way to resolve this issue?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Thanks Bobcat. unfortunately did not work waited for traffic announcement turned volume up then waited for it to return to normal program then pressed mute tried a couple of times all resulted in the next TA being just a whisper

you are confusing me.... when an announcement happens you can adjust the vol at any point (whilst still being broadcast) and that's the setting for any future announcements. If you touch the mute button at any time during a TA it cancels it and goes straight back to whatever source (radio etc.) at the last used volume it was on. muting again would then of course mute the source to nothing

Sigoodall

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A207 E220/2013/Diesel
Is it as simple as that there are two T/A volumes? One for 'normal' during radio/music play and another for muted times. Do you need to adjust the T/A volume when the radio is muted to change that volume? I need to try this!!

Spekky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V-Class Marco Polo 2018
Thank you for the replies.

I have raised the volume to normal and to very loud during a TA, which I have then allowed to run through, both whilst listening to the radio at normal volume and muted. When the next TA comes on, whilst the radio is muted, it is almost inaudible again.

DelOwear

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC220 2017
My GLC is about to go back to the dealership for the 3rd time with the same problem. Does anyone from Mercedes read these problems?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My GLC is about to go back to the dealership for the 3rd time with the same problem. Does anyone from Mercedes read these problems?
Not on here, doubt they’d dare as they wouldn’t like whet they’d hear...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

So setting the volume when the Traffic Announcement is being broadcast doesn't set the volume for the next time a TA comes on?

First thing I always do is turn of TA and set the satnav volume as low as possible and mute it whenever I set a route. I can see the guidance on the dash I don't wish to hear it as well

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Re the original post.

:confused:The radio fitted to my w246 has been back to the dealership several times.

set the volume loud with the TA symbol showing on. I then press the mute button to mute the sound. In all the other cars we have owned, including an early b class w245 in the mute mode when there was a traffic announcement the sound came on loud and clear,

I was reading the owner's manual on mine regarding this recently.... there are some very peculiar features I've never seen in other cars that Mercedes provide regarding TA and Nav instructions (presumably for chauffeur driven vehicles).

a certain method of TA showing (or not - I forget) and the Mute button's use with a beep - deliberately messes up voice output of the TA and NAV, the radio and phone sound continue to do there bit.

It can be instigated without the driver realising (especially if no idea of this pretty stupid feature) by the clever one in the passenger seat... who rarely understand the value of knowing what other traffic around is doing and don't like the interruptions (particularly if the driver has it set loud enough to make them concentrate on what the TA is saying)

Last edited:

DaveG1791

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B180 CDI (W246 1.8L D) / 2013 / OM 651
Re the original post.

I was reading the owner's manual on mine regarding this recently.... there are some very peculiar features I've never seen in other cars that Mercedes provide regarding TA and Nav instructions (presumably for chauffeur driven vehicles).

a certain method of TA showing (or not - I forget) and the Mute button's use with a beep - deliberately messes up voice output of the TA and NAV, the radio and phone sound continue to do there bit.

It can be instigated without the driver realising (especially if no idea of this pretty stupid feature) by the clever one in the passenger seat... who rarely understand the value of knowing what other traffic around is doing and don't like the interruptions (particularly if the driver has it set loud enough to make them concentrate on what the TA is saying)
There is an option in the Engineering menu to fix this, quite easy actually.
Research online (or in other forums): "TA Volume Engineering Menu"
Recently bought a Mercedes and have played around in all the menus :)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom