Temperamental soft close boot on R230

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
The soft close on my boot worked when I bought my car back in March but when I had issues with the consumer battery it went down and I didn't bother to do anything about it as the problems at that time were ongoing.

The battery issue was sorted out long ago but I just got used to giving a sharp push on the boot, which I rarely use anyway, to close it fully.

So today I thought I'd disconnect the battery and see if it would reset it, which it appeared to do, it worked fine for the three times I tried it. I needed to pop put out this afternoon, and popped something in the boot which again closed as it should. I then got in and put the roof down, when I got to my destination, roof still down, I went to the boot but this time when I closed it the soft close didn't work.

I always thought the soft close not working occurred as a result of the battery voltage dropping but does anyone know if there is a reason opening the roof may cause it not to work. It obviously still wants to work because if I disconnect the battery with the roof up it resets and works until I put the roof down?

I've read about the locking mechanism cracking and not holding pressure, could it be this and the roof operation is a red herring?

Last edited:

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The pse unit will turn off a branch that takes too long to operate, so a small leak can lead to this sort of thing. A battery disconnect, or fault code delete will switch the branch back on, but often only for a while. Do a battery disconnect again to reset it, and flick the latch shut with the bootlid open (mind your fingers!) and listen for a lot of hissing from the inside latch area. If you can hear it you've probably found it.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
The pse unit will turn off a branch that takes too long to operate, so a small leak can lead to this sort of thing. A battery disconnect, or fault code delete will switch the branch back on, but often only for a while. Do a battery disconnect again to reset it, and flick the latch shut with the bootlid open (mind your fingers!) and listen for a lot of hissing from the inside latch area. If you can hear it you've probably found it.

Thanks for the reply, I've just spent I don't how long reading all 11 pages of this thread - https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class...e-trunk-assist-problems-here-how-fix-diy.html - I may give it a go or do what I've done for the past couple of months and just give it that final push to close the boot. I never slam it I put it down to the first click and then give a firm push on the lid to latch it home. It's the getting to the ball connector on the actuating rod to disconnect it, and more importantly reconnect it, that causes me more concern than the rest of the procedure, perhaps time to invest in a set of extra long needle nose pliers! :)

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom