temperature related juddering on GLC

Tony Mac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2016/250d
Many GLC owners have confirmed their dealers are supplying all season tyres as a fix for the crabbing problem. I did hear from an owners who's car was transported to MB UK HQ in Milton Keynes to test these tyres. They appeared to reduce the juddering and associated noise, but the ambient temperature was 10+ degrees which makes a big difference. Even with these tyres the crabbing is still evident.

Our car has been behaving quite well in the recent good weather, especially during the daytime, but still crabbing at night with sub 10 degree temperatures.

With the warmer weather and reduced crabbing, I will probably keep the current tyres and wait until Sept / October before having MB fit the All Season tyres - this is an option in the statement from MB UK.

Tony

EAH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D AMG
I had my GLC 250D tyres changed last week to cure the juddering
on full lock as per the MB agreement.
The tyres fitted are Goodyear All Season run flats.
I am well pleased with the result.
Juddering is not apparent at all and the car appears to run much quieter
on these tyres.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
why would an owner wish to accept having faulty suspension components on a brand new vehicle that:

1) does not have the attributes the vehicle engineers intended
2) causes damaging wear and tear to the suspension bushes
3) causes the tyres to break up when driven normally
4) reduces ride comfort alarmingly
5) reduces grip and thus lowers vehicle safety

if you buy this particular vehicle with LHD you do not have any of those dangerous and undesirable characteristics, because the suspension is as the engineers intended.

If a manufacturer doesn't have the foresight to design the drive train correctly so that both LHD and RHD can be produced correctly, then they should not be making and certainly not selling inferior dangerous rubbish to unknowing customers.

BCHDIMECHE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC250d
Good luck people. A softer tyre compound will mask the Ackerman compromise with the steering rack positioned more forwards than on the LHD market resulting in the car crabbing. The wear and tear in the future is anyone's guess. I have had a full refund and all my costs reimbursed after 4 months of fighting with MB and rejecting the car within 28 days.
The vehicle has now been sold on to a new owner and the all season tyres that were fitted during "testing" at Milton Keynes have been removed and the original summer ones put back on.
Hope the new owner signed the waiver....or it will come back to haunt the dealer. I will NEVER set foot in a MB dealership again. The customer service is abhorrent. If you do want a GLC, wait at least 3 years until it's facelifted and the incorrect Ackerman re-engineered. Good luck people.

Vic Morris

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 GLE 250 AMG
The GLE does have the same problem, summer or winter, hot or cold tyres.
I believe the LHD models do not have a problem.
So to me this is an engineering problem.
Vic

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Every major problem MB has is initially botched, owners always end up pursuing them.
Been there got the t-shirt cap and badge.
Their sales are good so why bother doing it any other way, a customer obfuscation and legal department is much cheaper to run it seems.

cataloyking

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
glc amg 4matic
I'm sure I read they've been giving some people winter wheels and tyres to overcome this.
hi rory they are giving out tyres I got a full set of all weather tyres on and the difference is unbelieveable no scrubbing when turning it looks like the original ones have very hard sidewalls on them so very happy with the outcome also a lot softer a ride

richardr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350D AMG line Premium Plus
Hello. I hve just purchased a 2017 GLC and read with worry about the crabbing issue. I have now used the car daily for a few weeks and yes it does crab at low speed on car parks, turning in and out of drive, but to be frank i dont really see this as a major deal like some other forums and owners. I certainly dont see it as a deal breaker in my purchase or something i would consider rejecting the car for. I also have a Jaguar XF and this crabbed far worse than my GLC.

Had a Jaguar recall for the tyres on my XF, now fine and i am having all weather tyres on the GLC next week (subject to the beast from the East).

richardr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 350D AMG line Premium Plus
Actually in relation to my last post i am more racked off that i cannot get Android Auto on my GLC than about the tyres. Seems that MB fit this to some models but not the GLC (other than 2018 model) which seems odd

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom