That Jeremy Vine cycling incident

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
If it was a good clear road, how fast would you have been going?
Not much more I guess.
Why not slow down a bit more in areas that are clearly more of a risk to cyclists and enjoy the ride instead of seeing how many idiots you get on your camera?

Quite a bit faster actually, according to Strava I would usually be going more than 50% faster than I was today, my average speed today for that section was 16.8mph, maximum speed 18.8mph, and a total time of 49 seconds, on a clear road I would be doing around 26mph with a total time of 31 seconds so I was going a lot slower than normal. The driver was in the wrong...End of...

BRC.jpg

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Some very blinkered views on here... Going back to the OP.... I think vine was an arse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
We could have the driver was an XXXX put on your grave or you could look ahead and anticipate the road a bit better.

Think approaching junction with many parked cars obscuring view so must reduce speed .

I find the better I drive/ride the less "incidents" I have.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Think approaching junction with many parked cars obscuring view so must reduce speed .

If you're read my post you would have seen I was already travelling at a reduced speed

Some very blinkered views on here...

The same blinkered views when driving so it doesn't surprise me

and that's it in a nut shell

I wouldn't need to post the pictures if the drivers obeyed the law and took more care around cyclists, then I would enjoy my cycling even more.

Christ! Not another ..... :-|

Your point is?

ansta1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s500LWB/2002
So I can see both sides of above issue. The cyclist was obstructed from the driver view as the driver pulled out, the driver pulled out as due to the parked cars did not have an unobstructed view and almost certainly couldn't (thats couldn't which isn't the same thing as didn't). See the cyclist.

So the driver has 2 choices, stop halfway out of the junction when it became obvious that the cyclist was approaching. Option 2 try to get out and into the road and not obstruct the cyclist.

My guess is that they took option 2 but perhaps didn't anticipate the cyclists speed (which is difficult given that the cyclist could be doing 5,7,9,10,14,16,18,26mph and it was a live decision).

So what could the driver have done, as mentioned, stop halfway out when it was obvious they were likely to impede the cyclist) would guess the cyclist would have posted the same viewpoint "the car pulled out and I had to avoid it"
Or they could have made a faster exit from the junction thus avoiding any action from the cyclist.

Either way the cyclist would likely (in my opinion at least) cried fowl on the part of the driver.

I think this is 50/50 but given the restricted view the driver would have had the cyclist should have anticipated the potential for tarmac conflict and accepted that the driver, whilst in the strictest sense was probably in the wrong, just accepted it was a mostly unavoidable near miss.

So the question back to the cyclist is. "Did this really constitute a near miss or was it easy to avoid the potential for collision?, if its the former then what was the driver to do given the parked cars obstructed the view, if it's the latter, then stop moaning.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
But this guy didn't see the need for ABS either as "I don't drive that fast" in a car of such low standard and value that my umption doesn't believe he would invest in good tyres. Of course he is legal and has no need to spend some dosh in case a kid runs out while he is driving slowly. A fair example of blinkered thinking methinks.

Well he's right...if you drive correctly anticipating things you wil be safer even if your car has no ABS/cheap tyres. I had ABS for 8 years and the thing only ever activated at 5mph in the snow exactly when I didn't want it to.

Now got a car without ABS that is of low value and never even locked a wheel, despite my cheap tyres. Of course it could be I've had a very lucky 250,000 miles of driving but probably more down to the fact I slow down when there are restricted views/parked cars etc.

Also, regarding tyres if you look at the "wet grip" rating that is now mandated by law you will find that some of the cheapest brands have the best performance and some big name tyres are terrible. The fuel performace and noise levels also have no correlation to price and expesnive ones don't last as long either. Assuming big name tyres are safer and allow a more aggressive driving stance/grip is just marketing for those that are easily parted with their cash.

Remember 12% of accidents are caused by mechanical defects, 88% are cuased by human error, so if you are looking at maintenance standards instead of driving standards you are going down the wrong path

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Your annual mileage sounds to be enough to need to replace tyres before their usefulness expires at the considered 6 years.
Much of your time is spent i a warmer climate where traction will be improved.

Here in Derbyshire summer is a day or two each year, we can often see single figure temperatures during summer. Our roads are very bendy and rain is the norm. Now I don't say that all drivers will make use of ABS and quality grip all the time but on that occasion when a life depends on it the saving of a few quids may well be considered selfish.

Part of the 88% might well be inattention requiring more extreme action in the event. Actually thinking of scenarios such as kid on bike, chasing ball, even sheep seeing better grass on t'other side, needing an emergency stop, is easy.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Your annual mileage sounds to be enough to need to replace tyres before their usefulness expires at the considered 6 years.
Much of your time is spent i a warmer climate where traction will be improved.

Here in Derbyshire summer is a day or two each year, we can often see single figure temperatures during summer. Our roads are very bendy and rain is the norm. Now I don't say that all drivers will make use of ABS and quality grip all the time but on that occasion when a life depends on it the saving of a few quids may well be considered selfish.

Part of the 88% might well be inattention requiring more extreme action in the event. Actually thinking of scenarios such as kid on bike, chasing ball, even sheep seeing better grass on t'other side, needing an emergency stop, is easy.

A lot of that mileage was in the UK but I get your point - but surely the same can be said by just reducing speed. I'm sure a kid on a bike would rather be hit by me at 30 in my old unpedestrian friendly car than at 60 by someone in a newer one with ABS, so one could argue every extra mph is selfish too. It all comes down to risk and I would say speed and inattentiveness are far greater risks than cheap tyres/ABS etc.

I don't know where the "saving a few quids" comes in. The 35 quid tyres that are on my W124 at the moment have a better wet weather performance than the 65 quid Michelins recommended to me by the garage. My car happens to not have ABS fitted, the ones before did, it wasn't a conscious decision on my part to buy something with or without, it's just how they came.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
A lot of that mileage was in the UK but I get your point - but surely the same can be said by just reducing speed. I'm sure a kid on a bike would rather be hit by me at 30 in my old unpedestrian friendly car than at 60 by someone in a newer one with ABS, so one could argue every extra mph is selfish too. It all comes down to risk and I would say speed and inattentiveness are far greater risks than cheap tyres/ABS etc.

I don't know where the "saving a few quids" comes in. The 35 quid tyres that are on my W124 at the moment have a better wet weather performance than the 65 quid Michelins recommended to me by the garage. My car happens to not have ABS fitted, the ones before did, it wasn't a conscious decision on my part to buy something with or without, it's just how they came.

I wasn't suggesting you were selfishly saving the quids as I can see you have considered the tyres capability. My much earlier point was about those with their perception that as they don't go far, don't go fast, that their vehicle is good enough without considering it being better equipped for the, maybe unlikely, but as yet unforeseen event.
Any car with ABS has a safety advantage over non ABS.
Capable, and not old, tyres are a must in my view.
Traction control can be a life saver.

We don't expect these things to 'save the day' every day but having the capability has to be good.

I also don't suggest that having these advantages means going fast becomes safe, maybe safer and that's not the same.
But at the school crossing on that cold, slippery winters day my neighbour may only bump the kid/s at 20 mph where as I am more likely to stop.

This is beside the debate as to how fast a cyclist should go on their little tyres.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Also, regarding tyres if you look at the "wet grip" rating that is now mandated by law you will find that some of the cheapest brands have the best performance and some big name tyres are terrible.

I'm not sure everyone is aware that the "wet grip" rating is solely based on a braking test, in the wet, obviously.
It does not measure "wet grip" in any other form, hence the "A" rated premium tyres I bought had less wet grip than the mid range budget tyres they replaced when cornering or pulling out of junctions in the wet.

Russ

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Jailed !! A month for the Vine incident and 8 months for other things from a suspended sentence...not a nice person by the looks of things.

Top Bottom