The Epiphany

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I must admit that getting in and out of her was my only concern tbh.
I was suffering with quite a sore back when I first got her and my wife made the suggestion that I adopt the classic ladies entrance, derriere in first and then swing the legs in, and, I must admit it works for me, no more sore back!
It may look a little strange but, if it works, don't knock it, as they say.

It is the best way Jim, already adopted it for the BM 4 series before I do myself a mischief buying these cars is certainly a lesson in keeping agile

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
As I drove my son to work today I had a bit of an epiphany. o_O
I suddenly realised that if I look after my E350 Coupe it will probably see me out. :eek:
Ok it may be ten years old in September this year, however, it's just coming up on 30K, and is absolutely immaculate. ;)
It ticks all my boxes regarding comfort, performance, economy, ergonomics and is an absolute joy to drive. :D
It'll easily last another 15 years with care and I'll get my three score and ten out of the way well before that's due. :rolleyes:
When I think about it, it's the first car I can remember I've wanted to keep. :p
Previously, in as little as six months, I've been checking out potential next purchases, however, I find myself still looking forward to any excuse to drive her. :)
Anyone else feel the same?
Same with me, had mine 7 years & 50k miles. Did over 115K on the two previous CLK's.
Not so sure about the wife's SLK, she is just about to have a second hip replacement in three months.
Might be looking for a car with higher seating position. Going to start looking at an A Class, Golf, or Audi A3. Must be auto, & must have heated seats. Any observations?

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
When I bought the SL - I told my wife that I'd keep it as long as I can get in and out and then I'd get something sensible.

What I didn't say is that I consider an E-Class AMG to be very sensible ----- I plan to live life (what is left of it) to it's fullest (budget allowing) and not worry about my use-before date.:)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
I'm in a similar position with the 968 cab, compounded by having a garage so short I can only just get the cab into it, and want to retain a convertible when I eventually have to sell the 968 cab. Only thing I've found that fits the bill is an SLK, SWMBO will not let me even consider a 55AMG (spoilsport!!) so I will have to accept a 350 or 320! The problem with the 968 is compounded by it having sports seats with deep thigh and back bolsters, gettin out roof up is ...interesting!! However, I love the car, have had a 968 for 20 years now so am loathe to part with it until absolutely necessary.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I'm in a similar position with the 968 cab, compounded by having a garage so short I can only just get the cab into it, and want to retain a convertible when I eventually have to sell the 968 cab. Only thing I've found that fits the bill is an SLK, SWMBO will not let me even consider a 55AMG (spoilsport!!) so I will have to accept a 350 or 320! The problem with the 968 is compounded by it having sports seats with deep thigh and back bolsters, gettin out roof up is ...interesting!! However, I love the car, have had a 968 for 20 years now so am loathe to part with it until absolutely necessary.

2 door cars are a PITA to enter and exit. I sit quite far forward (6'2") with bent elbows and knees for supposed better car control and the door has to be really wide open to get in and out with ease! I might have to get into the habit of moving the seat back when I get out.........

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I always get in cars this way, doing it feet first feels wrong. Not unless you are a Duke of Hazzard anyway.

It's been several months since I got in the old way and I really had to think about it, I used to put my left leg in first, grab the top of the steering wheel with my left hand and then swing m' derriere in while also swinging in my right leg.
I must have done it that way for over forty years, it was only when I got the Merc and tried the same technique that I started getting a right sore back.
I didn't really take in when I test drove it, how low the seating position was.
Bringing the seat height up helped a little but not enough. That's when Swmbo made the new entry technique suggestion, and I've had a trouble free back for eight months now. :D
I've now got to the stage that I get in and out using the new technique regardless of what car I'm driving (choice of 4), lol. It makes life so much easier and pain free. ;)

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
It’s strange reading about how some of you get in and out of cars and a subject I had not really thought about.

Getting in and out of my E350 S212 with sports seats is tight so I will be trying the alternative bum in first technique.

Funnily my elderly mother refuses to go in my car as it’s too difficult to get in and out of, she much prefers my wife’s Aygo.

I too love driving my car and don’t need much convincing to drive it unless it’s raining of course.

Robin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The SL and SLK certainly have a very low seat. I realise that it makes us feel connected to the car but makes it a PITA to park. My shoulder (as mentioned before I'm 6'2") barely comes up to the sill in the SL and SLK.

@Headhurts even then it is fun!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The SL and SLK certainly have a very low seat. I realise that it makes us feel connected to the car but makes it a PITA to park. My shoulder (as mentioned before I'm 6'2") barely comes up to the sill in the SL and SLK.

@Headhurts even then it is fun!
With ABC just lift the car to maximum height. Makes it easier to get in and out.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
It’s strange reading about how some of you get in and out of cars and a subject I had not really thought about.

Getting in and out of my E350 S212 with sports seats is tight so I will be trying the alternative bum in first technique.

Funnily my elderly mother refuses to go in my car as it’s too difficult to get in and out of, she much prefers my wife’s Aygo.

I too love driving my car and don’t need much convincing to drive it unless it’s raining of course.

Robin

Try it, you may find, like a lot of us did, that it makes life a lot easier! ;)

Getting old's an absolute scunner! :mad::mad:

Last edited:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
2 door cars are a PITA to enter and exit. I sit quite far forward (6'2") with bent elbows and knees for supposed better car control and the door has to be really wide open to get in and out with ease! I might have to get into the habit of moving the seat back when I get out.........
Easy fix use memory 3 as an exit setting, when pushed slides seat all the way back ;-).

Mercedes SL500 R231

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
On some MB cars there is the comfort entry function where the drivers seat moves back, steering wheel up and forward as you operate the internal door handle. Then on getting back in the seat moves forward, steering wheel returns. Part of the seat memory package.

My W221 had it. Haven't checked the W166 as its much higher and a different method to get in if you follow :confused:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Getting old's an absolute scunner! :mad::mad:
I hear it's better than the alternative though...

I never think about getting into my car and can't think how I do it. I'm off out presently so will consciously think about how I do it now.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I sit quite far forward (6'2") with bent elbows and knees for supposed better car control
I had a right argument with an instructor at one of the rally schools near Banbury about this. He wanted me to sit well forward and I refused. I pointed out I'd been involved in competitive Motorsport in NZ and had been quite successful and couldn't drive when cramped up how he wanted me. In the end he gave in and let me select my own position. At the end of the day I was 12 seconds over 3 laps faster than anyone else and that included a 30 second penalty for touching a cone (which I dispute happened). I have no idea where this idea of sitting with arms bentvat 90 degrees came from but it doesn't work for me.
When I was racing in NZ my static position was with fingers just able to touch the top of the wheel. When racng I tended to pull against the belts and that put me in the right position (for me).
I find that if too close i get tangled to easily if I need to react quickly (too much of me for the space available!).
Basically seat as low as possible, arms near straight (just the slightest bend), knees slightly bent when foot flat to floor and seat back fairly upright. As it happens it's also an easy position to enter/exit the car (aside from low seating). I've always entered bum first and exited bum last, and since damaging my right knee in push down on the door latch with my right hand getting out too.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had a right argument with an instructor at one of the rally schools near Banbury about this. He wanted me to sit well forward and I refused. I pointed out I'd been involved in competitive Motorsport in NZ and had been quite successful and couldn't drive when cramped up how he wanted me. In the end he gave in and let me select my own position. At the end of the day I was 12 seconds over 3 laps faster than anyone else and that included a 30 second penalty for touching a cone (which I dispute happened). I have no idea where this idea of sitting with arms bentvat 90 degrees came from but it doesn't work for me.
When I was racing in NZ my static position was with fingers just able to touch the top of the wheel. When racng I tended to pull against the belts and that put me in the right position (for me).
I find that if too close i get tangled to easily if I need to react quickly (too much of me for the space available!).
Basically seat as low as possible, arms near straight (just the slightest bend), knees slightly bent when foot flat to floor and seat back fairly upright. As it happens it's also an easy position to enter/exit the car (aside from low seating). I've always entered bum first and exited bum last, and since damaging my right knee in push down on the door latch with my right hand getting out too.
Your seating position matches very closely with what Porsche recommends in the 911 handbook. Shoulders against the seat and inside of your wrists should just be able to touch the sides of the wheel. I’ve set mine that way for years. Never that keen to be too close to the airbag...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your seating position matches very closely with what Porsche recommends in the 911 handbook. Shoulders against the seat and inside of your wrists should just be able to touch the sides of the wheel. I’ve set mine that way for years. Never that keen to be too close to the airbag...
I think it's sometimes referred to as the Classic GT position.
I always had an innate desire not to be impaled on the steering column....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think it's sometimes referred to as the Classic GT position.
I always had an innate desire not to be impaled on the steering column....
Agreed although my dad always used to say there’d be a lot better drivers on the road if there was a 6” dagger pointing out the middle of the steering wheel.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agreed although my dad always used to say there’d be a lot better drivers on the road if there was a 6” dagger pointing out the middle of the steering wheel.
Funnily enough my dad said that too(and I suspect the dads are quite correct).

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom