The Epiphany

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I had a right argument with an instructor at one of the rally schools near Banbury about this. He wanted me to sit well forward and I refused. I pointed out I'd been involved in competitive Motorsport in NZ and had been quite successful and couldn't drive when cramped up how he wanted me. In the end he gave in and let me select my own position. At the end of the day I was 12 seconds over 3 laps faster than anyone else and that included a 30 second penalty for touching a cone (which I dispute happened). I have no idea where this idea of sitting with arms bentvat 90 degrees came from but it doesn't work for me.
When I was racing in NZ my static position was with fingers just able to touch the top of the wheel. When racng I tended to pull against the belts and that put me in the right position (for me).
I find that if too close i get tangled to easily if I need to react quickly (too much of me for the space available!).
Basically seat as low as possible, arms near straight (just the slightest bend), knees slightly bent when foot flat to floor and seat back fairly upright. As it happens it's also an easy position to enter/exit the car (aside from low seating). I've always entered bum first and exited bum last, and since damaging my right knee in push down on the door latch with my right hand getting out too.

Sitting fairly upright, shoulders back against the seat, my wrists rest at the 12 o'clock position on the wheel. Accelerator fully down, my knee has a ~30 degree bend (apparently will help to avoid a hyperextended knee in an accident vs having my leg too straight). This is closer than I used to sit before I did a course 2 years ago where the instructor recommended my current position.

I might play around a little to see if I can make entry and exit easier (wrists at
the 3 & 9 positions). I do find my current driving position quite comfortable and get almost no neck ache (on long trips) liked I used to do (more upright position has helped....I think).

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
As I drove my son to work today I had a bit of an epiphany. o_O
I suddenly realised that if I look after my E350 Coupe it will probably see me out. :eek:
Ok it may be ten years old in September this year, however, it's just coming up on 30K, and is absolutely immaculate. ;)
It ticks all my boxes regarding comfort, performance, economy, ergonomics and is an absolute joy to drive. :D
It'll easily last another 15 years with care and I'll get my three score and ten out of the way well before that's due. :rolleyes:
When I think about it, it's the first car I can remember I've wanted to keep. :p
Previously, in as little as six months, I've been checking out potential next purchases, however, I find myself still looking forward to any excuse to drive her. :)
Anyone else feel the same?

This was my thoughts to Jimbo , love the E350 it has everything I want and looks in great nick.
The only problem mine has 112k on the clock and at a young 50 I doubt it will see me out.
I’ve toyed with replacement for a younger model but don’t have 30k spare.
So atm it’s going Nowhere .

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
This was my thoughts to Jimbo , love the E350 it has everything I want and looks in great nick.
The only problem mine has 112k on the clock and at a young 50 I doubt it will see me out.
I’ve toyed with replacement for a younger model but don’t have 30k spare.
So atm it’s going Nowhere .

While it's great that it suits you and you still enjoy it, 112k is a fair old mileage, however, if the car is well looked after there's no reason that it won't do the same again with only use of consumables and fair wear and tear items.

The main problem is the expense involved if anything major acts up, like a gearbox or turbo for example.

I'm lucky that I still work in the motor trade and can gain access to parts or anything else that I may need, usually at cost price, from that point of view and the fact that mine has only achieved 30k miles means, I reckon I can comfortably deal with most issues which may crop up, presuming an average annual mileage of 15k, it'll take me six years or thereabouts to get to 120K which will mean only 1 year before I retire, IF and as you can see it's a big if, I need to change plans I'll have a little time to do so. :p

From a certain perspective it's a shame you're so young :D:D and I agree £30k is a bit more than pocket change.
Jeez my house didn't even cost that when we bought it nearly 30 years ago.

I hope yours continues to provide good service and, that if you do need to replace it, you find something which gives you as much pleasure.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Thanks for your Kind words Jimbo.
That’s the problem IF something Big goes !! .
I only do 5K a year as I’m in my work vehicle all week, so I won’t be putting Big miles on.
Who knows what’s round the corner, I’ll make sure I keep it well serviced and hopefully it will be kind to me.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom