The vagaries of R129 prices

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Perhaps it was the colour combination of all black or the low mileage as the condition report and general prices didn't seem to support the price that this fetched. Don't get me wrong I personally love the black on black but there really does seem to be huge variations in what these sell for - https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/mercedes-benz-sl-320
Then this one in what appears to overall better condition, but without a panoramic roof sells for half the price, go figure? - https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/mercedes-320-sl

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 1996, 1990 C124 300ce, 1989 200TE
It is also Green which is not a good colour depending on how suspicious you are

......you mean superstitious of course........;)....but then again......;)...;)

P

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
It is also Green which is not a good colour depending on how suspicious you are
Personally I don't have a problem with that green I think it's quiet nice, in fact silver was the least preferable to me when I bought mine as it is so common on Mercedes.

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 1996, 1990 C124 300ce, 1989 200TE
Plenty of variables to throw into the pricing of R129s, the mille miglia edition and other special editions no doubt command a premium, lesser engined models aren't as sought after, low mileage, proper full history, immaculate versions fetch a lot more, then after that its the early versions versus the updated version both of which heavily influenced by the usual factors, how does it look, drive and any sort of history at all!

P

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I've had four green cars in the last 8 and I'd only call one of them unreliable/unlucky and that was the last one (a much hated Saab).
My T5 Volvo was green and was an awesome car as was the A8 that followed it and to a lesser extent the Toyota Landcruiser that followed the A8. Since then its been a sea of MB silver :) (including the 129 and 230).

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Plenty of variables to throw into the pricing of R129s, the mille miglia edition and other special editions no doubt command a premium, lesser engined models aren't as sought after, low mileage, proper full history, immaculate versions fetch a lot more, then after that its the early versions versus the updated version both of which heavily influenced by the usual factors, how does it look, drive and any sort of history at all!

P
Both of the above cars are SL320's, albeit one is a straight six and the other a V6, given the first one says it has rust in all four arches, crikes!, and the front bumper needs painting etc. I think I could put up with the green. The front arches wouldn't be such an issue, mine had blistering in the front wings when I bought it, as this is easily resolved with new front wings. The rear arches however need to be done very well to prevent that becoming a real issue and I doubt that would come cheaply?

Top Bottom