this problem could be anything

abz2005

Reaction score
right where do i start, the car runs absolutely fine no misfire no idling issues no nothing, my only problem with it is when the car is warm and idling there is a plasticy sounding rattle from the front of the engine, i know i said the car runs fine, the noise just bugs the hell out of me, ive had a couple of people ask whether its a diesel because of it (c-class 200 esprit petrol 2000 reg) if i rev it slightly the rattle goes away, ive had my head under the bonnet holding anything plastic to see if it was loose but it was still there, i took the plastic cover off the very front part of the engine and the noise went away slightly but it was still there just quieter

any advice would be appreciated

cheers

abz

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Welcome to the forum, why not take say a large screwdriver and by putting the blade on various parts and the handle to your ear, use it as a stethoscope to help pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

your car is too new to be chain or valves, but the idler wheel could be the problem on the front belt

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Its probably the damper for the belt tensioner making the noise. Use a large screwdriver against the top rubber bush and see if you can make it stop.

OP
A

abz2005

Reaction score
im back again i think ive narrowed down what the rattle is, the water pump, was checking the sparkplugs and some other things today, then i got to the pulley which connects to the water pump, if i hold the pulley either side it moves about 1mm either way i tried tightening up the bolts but didnt want to do them up too much incase i snapped a bolt, my new question is is it easy to replace a water pump??

oh and the service indicator, when i brought the car 6 weeks ago the service indicator showed 5000 miles till next service, ive done 1000 miles so far, the oil looks as clean as it did when i had it, up until about 3/4 weeks ago the service indicator was at 30 now its minus 2 and beeps when i start the car, anyone know how to reset it???

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom