Time and Date Adjustment

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
so isn't the solution to the wrong time...
turn off auto summer / winter daylight saving,
check date, if right, pray that satellite stays still for 20 mins or drive in same direction its travelling?

slonsdale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221 2009 320cdi
so isn't the solution to the wrong time...
turn off auto summer / winter daylight saving,
check date, if right, pray that satellite stays still for 20 mins or drive in same direction its travelling?
Lol

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We had one that was 10 mins out? Got it’s time from the command and that had 8 satalites showing.

slonsdale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221 2009 320cdi
Sent an email MB customer care got a reply asking for vin and reg and dealer and contact details, waiting for further comms.

Dusty118

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S Class 320 2008
I e-mailed last week I have received a reply today. I also called MB and the response was take it into a MB dealer. I now have a reply to my e-mail and here it is (cut & pasted from the e-mail):

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

I have queried this without (
yes without) technical team and have been informed this is not a known or common fault on Mercedes Benz vehicles. I understand that other owners have reported the same issue on Mercedes Benz Forums however there appears to be no common underling (as opposed to underlying)c ause on the fault. As such is difficult to comment on how this will be fixed until the cause of the issue is diagnosed. I would advise to have the vehicle booked in at a local Mercedes Benz dealership so a diagnosis of the fault can be carried out.

Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact us.

Make of that what you will but it is a known fault and MB is ignoring it. We all know that this is a satellite issue which a dealership will not be able to resolve and no doubt charge us for telling us they can't.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I e-mailed last week I have received a reply today. I also called MB and the response was take it into a MB dealer. I now have a reply to my e-mail and here it is (cut & pasted from the e-mail):

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

I have queried this without (
yes without) technical team and have been informed this is not a known or common fault on Mercedes Benz vehicles. I understand that other owners have reported the same issue on Mercedes Benz Forums however there appears to be no common underling (as opposed to underlying)c ause on the fault. As such is difficult to comment on how this will be fixed until the cause of the issue is diagnosed. I would advise to have the vehicle booked in at a local Mercedes Benz dealership so a diagnosis of the fault can be carried out.

Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact us.

Make of that what you will but it is a known fault and MB is ignoring it. We all know that this is a satellite issue which a dealership will not be able to resolve and no doubt charge us for telling us they can't.
As per my earlier replies this is not a satellite issue, its a firmware issue with the GPS in the vehicle.
If it were a satellite issue it would affect every single GPS worldwide.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
From what I understood of LostKiwi's post on out of date satellites beaming out the wrong time, as these vehicles are new enough to understand the data from both old and new satellites, the correct fix would be a simple firmware tweak so say look at the dates from the satellites and always choose the latest date you come across

as we did all the diagnosis working out and reporting what's wrong, that firmware fix should take the software boys all of 2 minutes to code and as the world now works through j2534 passthrough they don't even need to send anything to their dealerships, just put the file on a list of software for the W221 and it'll wander on the car next time its plugged in.

If they charge 30 mins labour for it they can make a very go ROI, which makes not doing it madness, especially when you factor the damage to the brand if they don't

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
for the first time since mine lost the plot, the time displays correctly this morning,

the date was correct at switch on, the time still stuck as it had been on BST was an hour out, as I changed this in the digital display the analogue clock immediately followed suit and updated (where it had been 25 March - correct - till it should have changed on 28 October)

as we know the issue, I have left off auto summer winter correction, as it will go forward when it finds an old satellite time (hence why I needed to move manually today... and was luckily able to get the car to do as I asked)

Clockxxx.JPG clock yyy.JPG

Last edited:
OP
S

steve.link

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 W222 S500, 2019 W213 E220
Mine is the same except the analogue clock won't change?

slonsdale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221 2009 320cdi
Mine goes to right time and date nearly every time i switch on. However as soon as i press the button to return and check again it has reverted to April.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I was more excited that the analogue clock actually moved hour for the first time since this all started.... it followed the digital display as soon as I selected a change (I think we need auto summer winter off) or it'll go back wrong when it spots a rouge satellite as the dates its finding are inside the BST window

slonsdale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221 2009 320cdi
I was more excited that the analogue clock actually moved hour for the first time since this all started.... it followed the digital display as soon as I selected a change (I think we need auto summer winter off) or it'll go back wrong when it spots a rouge satellite as the dates its finding are inside the BST window
I'll try it.

slonsdale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221 2009 320cdi
I'll try that and let you know.

slonsdale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221 2009 320cdi
Pick the bones out of this: went out start car date correct, checked time zone, display changed from tick box for automatic time change to offering two options ,summer time or standard time. selected standard time checked date fine. quick drive date gone back to april 3rd and time zone gone back to automatic time change, the plot thickens.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I took mine off auto summer last weekend... the next time it had the key in (today) it woke up to the right time and then behaved ( I guess as date was OK and wasn't in a muddle with BST ???)

I think you should be able to untick the auto summer winter change over … but it won't (if seeing a silly old satellite) allow the time to be corrected on the analogue clock...

slonsdale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221 2009 320cdi
I must admit I'm getting fed up wi it. It's just one of life's little mystery's. I'll get over it. Not giving yet though.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
was correct again to day… must be our time for a modern satellite to be overhead

(or maybe its something sinister on the dark side of the moon)

slonsdale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221 2009 320cdi
I think you'll find it's only correct while the car is stationary, as soon as you drive it goes back to April. That's the answer then, just leave it in the drive !!!

slonsdale

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221 2009 320cdi
It seems as soon as the car is switched off then on again it has the right date and the clock can be altered however when you alter the clock or move the car the date reverts. Does seem to be getting better though as when this prob started the date was never right and could not be altered.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Seen a few 211’s with emissions and inspection times up on dash. Look on command and the date is 1976 and will not reset.

Attachments

• 046EA170-F1EF-4EF7-8480-00669CF3C909.jpeg
    046EA170-F1EF-4EF7-8480-00669CF3C909.jpeg
    690 KB · Views: 13

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom