Time for a new cab.......

taximan1066

New Registration
Reaction score
Hi all, I have looked in to this forum from time to time but not owning a Merc have really felt unable to contribute.......however I feel the time is ripe to start looking for a replacement for my (money pit) Passat, preferably RWD which just about leaves Merc and BMW.
I drive private hire in Chester, Mercs are used a lot in Europe as cabs but is it realistic with diesel prices here to use say an E300 diesel? (This seems to be the most popular).
Where can I find more in depth info e.g tyre sizes, suspension type etc, am especially interested in suspension durability as this has been the major cause of my disatisfaction with the money pit.
Also are there any servicing issues thata re beyond the scope of the average DIYer?
Thanks in advance
Gaz.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
I think this may depend on what the maximum age is for cars used as cabs where you work. A W124 E300 Diesel (606 engine) will last forever if properly maintained, will deliver just over 30 mpg and be reliable. But the newest is 11 years old

If you buy an early W210 you can get a 300 Diesel, 300 Turbodiesel (both 606) or an E320 CDi diesel. Each has its own plus & minus points. Legend has it that the W210 300 Diesel was the most reliable Mercedes ever made, in terms of warranty claims, but the W210 has a rust problem

I'd say any of these would be ideal for home maintenance. On a 606 engine the oil filter is in a bucket at the back of the engine compartment, so no spin-on oil filters to drip oil all over you under the car. Drop the oil every 6000 miles and change the gearbox oil & filter every 20k or so and it should be fine

W124 tyre size is 195/65 15 - the most common tyre in the UK. W210s will typically have 15s, 16s or 17s depending on spec

There are no real W124 suspension issues apart from worn front ARB bushes, broken front springs and worn front balljoints at high mileages (round 200k). None of these is expensive to fix and I'd do them all as a pre-emptive fix if you're going to use it as a cab. W210s typically will need front top & bottom balljoints, ARB bushes & drop links replacing at quite a lot less than 200k

I'd recommend using Mercedes (dealer) parts exclusively. Your local cab maintenance guys will know all about this stuff

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just adding to Bolides post that the other advantage is that you pick your customers in an MB,no need to say anymore.

Malcolm

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom