Timing Chain Guides and/or timing chain replacement?

brian bray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300 sl
I have a 1991 300SL with 153,000 miles (mostly interstate highway miles). The engine runs smooth but there is an intermittent rattle. I'm assuming replacement of all of the plastic timing chain guides and possibly the timing chain itself. Any hints or guidelines from anybody who has done this themselves or had it done professionally? Thanks in advance.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Hi Brian.
I know nothing about it but I did recently see an episode of Wheeler Dealers where they changed the timing chain on a 560 SL.
It was series 13 episode 1 that you should be able to find online.

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
I have a 1991 300SL with 153,000 miles (mostly interstate highway miles). The engine runs smooth but there is an intermittent rattle. I'm assuming replacement of all of the plastic timing chain guides and possibly the timing chain itself. Any hints or guidelines from anybody who has done this themselves or had it done professionally? Thanks in advance.
My understanding is that, if these 6 cylinder engines have had regular maintenance, timing chains should last a lifetime. My 300-24 engine did have a new chain and guides at 420k Kms but only because the head was off (gasket) anyway.

Are you certain that this "rattle" is associated with the chain.

RayH

OP
B

brian bray

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300 sl
My understanding is that, if these 6 cylinder engines have had regular maintenance, timing chains should last a lifetime. My 300-24 engine did have a new chain and guides at 420k Kms but only because the head was off (gasket) anyway.

Are you certain that this "rattle" is associated with the chain.

RayH

Ray,

Thanks for your reply. My feeling is that the timing chain will NOT need to be replaced; replacing the plastic guides will solve the problem. Replacing a chain on a dual overhead cam engine will certainly be more complex (and expensive). The parts guru at the local MB dealership indicated that they replace guides often and rarely replace the chain.

Any thoughts beyond the chain and/or guides as the possible source of the rattle?

Thanks.

Brian Bray

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
Any thoughts beyond the chain and/or guides as the possible source of the rattle?

Not really, without hearing it. I'm not really an expert but I do have years of experience thinking and researching things related to my 300CE-24. It's become a sort of hobby.

There are many people in here who are far brainier than I!!!

R

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom