TMC and ME nightmare

organum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
I have an E300 Hybrid.
Some months ago Mercedes contacted me and offered a free upgrade to ME.
This was installed, finally by myself after useless dealer support, and all seemed fine until about three months after installation TMC disappeared, or at least the onscreen info disappeared but the TMC indicator still showed a signal.
I contacted Mercedes support to be told that this is correct as I didn’t have a subscription, all new cars have TMC as a subscription but mine was bought before the days of subscription. However they could not sign me up for a subscription as my car was not equipped etc etc. Would I send a picture of the screen which I did including TMC showing active but no traffic displayed.
Many weeks later I was told to take the car to the dealer for an update which I did and bingo TMC reappeared but seemingly with less info than before but hey ho it worked.

That is until yesterday when I had Bluetooth unusually switched off on my phone and no TMC was displayed. Turned Bluetooth on and TMC reappeared.

Bottom line is that when bought TMC came through I guess the Highways Department and radio which worked best of all. I would dump ME if this provided a return to the original status.

Is anyone else in this situation? It would be good to exchange info as we all did in the hybrid battery fiasco.

Thanks.

Richard

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Richard, Mercedes Me itself doesn’t offer any upgrade to your Comand Nav for Live traffic.
You can however order a new subscription through Mercedes me store .
All the Mercedes Me will give you is the app on your phone giving some basic information on the car status (unfortunately not whether it is locked or windows open or....). It gives stuff like trip log, fuel status, battery status, location. There will be an adapter now plugged into your OBD socket.
I just got a new subscription for TMC through the store c£100.

OP
organum

organum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
Richard, Mercedes Me itself doesn’t offer any upgrade to your Comand Nav for Live traffic.
You can however order a new subscription through Mercedes me store .
All the Mercedes Me will give you is the app on your phone giving some basic information on the car status (unfortunately not whether it is locked or windows open or....). It gives stuff like trip log, fuel status, battery status, location. There will be an adapter now plugged into your OBD socket.
I just got a new subscription for TMC through the store c£100.

Yes I understand that but as I said in my post I had perfect TMC before ME was installed and activated.

I want to return to what I purchased when the car was new.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes I understand that but as I said in my post I had perfect TMC before ME was installed and activated.

I want to return to what I purchased when the car was new.
OK
But had you purchased another traffic subscription? You get 3 years from new, which would take the car to 2016, then you have to pay for another term, 1,2 or 3 years.
Mine expired in 2017 and I bought 2 years (not sure if I’ll keep the car beyond that)
I’m thinking the installation of Mercedes Me and your loss of TMC are coincidental...could be wrong though

OP
organum

organum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
At the time of purchase in 2013 there was never an option for a subscription mainly because there was no IoT which ME introduced. Data came via RDS (my best guess) and it all worked a dream.

After ME all this changed but as you can see from my portal screenshot there is no option anyway for a subscription even if I wanted it.

So I have a TMC system which is now working but inferior to the original AND it must be connected to the internet.

I have no problem with Mercedes selling me a car with the subscription plan. I DO have a problem with buying a car on one basis and then because I was stupid enough to take their freebie ME now have an inferior system which is not compatible with their subs stuff anyway.

Attachments

• D4A7F705-8D94-4417-880B-9B19160B072F.png
    D4A7F705-8D94-4417-880B-9B19160B072F.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 5

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
This really sounds like something you should be taking up with MB.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My portal said the same until I bought the subscription through the Mercedes Me store on the same web site, then a second activated service appeared which is ‘Navigation’. You can’t add it in that page for some reason (that would be too logical)

OP
organum

organum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
Sadly no services available as per the attached. When this first happened I was offered TMC as a service but when I went to complete the purchase the site said my hardware was not compatible which I queried with Mercedes.

The purpose of my posting was to see if anyone else had this problem. It seems to not be ME hardware related as I have removed the dongle and confirmed that TMC still works if Bluetooth is on my phone. It might be that I had never linked the two, I.e. Bluetooth having to be on and linked to the Comand system.

Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• DD95C9EC-1DC0-4D92-A14F-D56A00B47E94.jpeg
    DD95C9EC-1DC0-4D92-A14F-D56A00B47E94.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
At the time of purchase in 2013 there was never an option for a subscription .

I can imagine there is Live traffic and clunky TMC.

One is a radio broadcast that's 20 mins late to the party and only just better than nothing
The other needs something (your phone) to pull the info via I guess a 3g signal which will be more accurate

I can imagine if your comand system is good enough you can "upgrade from TMC. to Live" and I would expect they carefully dupe one into entering in to a pay for contract... I can also believe (as anything goes these days) they slip in a software tweak to kill and or "park" the original TMC functionality to encourage you to keep paying

Even so I'd be surprised if a 2013 car could get this quite modern functionality
2015 maybe
2017 yes
2013 really?

OP
organum

organum

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Hybrid 2013
I can imagine there is Live traffic and clunky TMC.

Even so I'd be surprised if a 2013 car could get this quite modern functionality
2015 maybe
2017 yes
2013 really?

Attached screen as requested by Mercedes when this started. They didn’t seemingly believe their own car build records!

I did include all the goodies when I bought the car new. The only downside at the time was that the better quality Audio could not be fitted presumably because of space in the floor area. The hybrid system now works and that is the drag. This is such a great car that if the dealer knew what they were talking about they could have explained.

Attachments

• 0E5F81D6-15B5-4B86-B138-D8BA5420E4E1.jpeg
    0E5F81D6-15B5-4B86-B138-D8BA5420E4E1.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 12

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sorry I couldn’t have been more help, I can see the issue now and unfortunately it’s one for MB in this instance :(

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom