Toning down...

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
OK, Ive booked to have the wheels recoloured a dark gunmetal (sick of the brake dust showing), and also having the window surrounds and boot lip dechromed (I hate chrome). Also window tints (just the rears of course). Probably debadging.....
Now where I'm undecided:-
Should I have the satin front end bits wrapped black?
If so, both the grille and the lower valance? Or just lower valance?
Should I debadge the front wing 'V8 BiTurbo' badges? Or should I replace all the badges in Black (including boot)
My car is Obsidian Black
Interested to hear the opinions out there (I think I know Jon Bell's already!!)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Definitely debadge. Less is more...

Have the satin parts wrapped in the highest of high gloss black.

Glass trims can have the aluminium trim strips removed, underneath is gloss black.

Keep the wheels as a contrast but pop Red Stuff ceramic pads in ;)

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Definitely debadge. Less is more...

Have the satin parts wrapped in the highest of high gloss black.

Glass trims can have the aluminium trim strips removed, underneath is gloss black.

Keep the wheels as a contrast but pop Red Stuff ceramic pads in ;)
Thanks Craig..
Debadge- check
Satin Parts in High Gloss Black- Interesting hadn't thought of that, hmmm food for thought there
Glass Trims- have to check I thought mine were one piece but...
Sadly can't get Red stuff pads to fit mine- grr...I like red stuff and had them on the SL with NO dust
I'm certain I want the dark gunmetal though....

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Definitely leave the badges , as you say have them painted black ....it's important that everyone knows what size engine you are packing and realises that you are supporting the economy through extra fuel duty .
Damn it I'm jealous , wish I had your car . :D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have to admit I do like things exactly how they were intended from the factory. I am however of that age group LOL ;)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
No, no, no and no...........all black cars look terrible IMO. When i see an all black car on the road i have to look more than once to see what it is. A row of similar sized black cars all look the same. If you ard going to black out your E63 you may as well have bought any similar sized car. Be proud of what you have, let everyone around you know what you have don't become another anonymous black car. Just my opinion or course, its your car! :D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
No, no, no and no...........all black cars look terrible IMO. When i see an all black car on the road i have to look more than once to see what it is. A row of similar sized black cars all look the same. If you ard going to black out your E63 you may as well have bought any similar sized car. Be proud of what you have, let everyone around you know what you have don't become another anonymous black car. Just my opinion or course, its your car! :D
^^^^^ please note John !! :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Should I have the satin front end bits wrapped black?

Yes

If so, both the grille and the lower valance?

Leave the Star

Should I debadge the front wing 'V8 BiTurbo' badges?

Yes, think of the weight saving and also the aero benefits

Or should I replace all the badges in Black (including boot)

No

Interested to hear the opinions out there (I think I know Jon Bell's already!!)

HTH :)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Totally this!
All black cars just make me think drug dealer and cheap. Its a bit like inverse bling - too much bling looks chavy and naff but so does all black.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Totally this!
All black cars just make me think drug dealer and cheap. Its a bit like inverse bling - too much bling looks chavy and naff but so does all black.
Perhaps the windows finished with a chrome effect film?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Corrected that for you ;)

No correction needed; it was hemisemidemideliberate.

I've been reading the Aubrey- Maturin series and the language is quite insidious...

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Have you ever looked at "Black Chrome" powdercoat for the wheels? It looks really nice IMHO.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Like the gunmetal change, (my plan for my wheels).
Debadge except star, (keep star chrome).
Dechrome to satin black as far as poss.
Window tints to rear but not too dark...
Calipers to gunmetal.
You know what your driving, who cares what everyone else thinks/suspects/cares!;):cool:

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What's your opinion on the window tints though?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom