Toning down...

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Like the gunmetal change, (my plan for my wheels).
Debadge except star, (keep star chrome).
Dechrome to satin black as far as poss.
Window tints to rear but not too dark...
Calipers to gunmetal.
You know what your driving, who cares what everyone else thinks/suspects/cares!;):cool:
Like your thinking - calipers are already light gunmetal and oh forgot painting the hubs gunmetal too...

OP
John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Deep down you know that's not true. :)
Erm there is an element of truth there , half of me does actually like it when someone comes up behind the car and you can see the rear view mirror them having second thoughts about trying it on!
On the other hand there are others who are the opposite which is annoying
I also notice some devaluation of the badge due to stuck on badges...
Example, ashamed to say I was in the McD drive through earlier, two cars in front 'another' Obsidian black E63...badges perfectly applied to the boot...
Looked a little to the side and I'm thinking the wheels look odd, then I see the exhaust tips...it's a 220 Diesel...I despair !!:mad:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Erm there is an element of truth there , half of me does actually like it when someone comes up behind the car and you can see the rear view mirror them having second thoughts about trying it on!
Example, ashamed to say I was in the McD drive through earlier, two cars in front 'another' Obsidian black E63...badges perfectly applied to the boot...
Looked a little to the side and I'm thinking the wheels look odd, then I see the exhaust tips...it's a 220 Diesel...I despair !!:mad:

There is one in Luton. The guy has spent more on rekitting his E220 SE to look like an E63 than buying an equivalent E63 in the first place...

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I hate that when you see cars pretending to be something they are not. I think people should be happy with what they can afford whether it is a 220 diesel of an E63.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
Deep down you know that's not true. :)
A few years ago I would have agreed, in fact I might have emphasised the badges! However, these days, I am far more cynical and arrogant - comfort over fashion - maybe it's an age thing:(;)
I'm comfortable being anonymous (and annoying!):cool:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
What's your opinion on the window tints though?
I quite like window tints as long as not too dark, my ML has factory tints which I think look ok.

I overtook an all black car on the M1 last week, I couldn't make out what car it was until I was on top of it. Turns out it was an Audi A4 with black bodywork, de-chromed, black tinted windows (far to dark), black oversized wheels with stretched tyres (hate that too) and black tinted rear lights. What was the owner thinking?

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I quite like window tints as long as not too dark, my ML has factory tints which I think look ok.

I overtook an all black car on the M1 last week, I couldn't make out what car it was until I was on top of it. Turns out it was an Audi A4 with black bodywork, de-chromed, black tinted windows (far to dark), black oversized wheels with stretched tyres (hate that too) and black tinted rear lights. What was the owner thinking?
Drug dealer, or maybe Pikey :rolleyes:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
It was an older model, the car was spotted near Luton.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
black oversized wheels with stretched tyres (hate that too)

yes I hate that and also officially its illegal. although nobody has ever been prosecuted over it (or even been warned) it does count as an offence under construction and use regulations IIRC. I found an email address to a police force further south in the country than I am, and they responded and enclosed an email copy of a leaflet type document outlining the regulations on this. IMO its dangerous and should be rigorously enforced.

anyhow, as for the OP, personally I dislike too much dark on dark cars. legal window tints are fine, but dark wheels on dark cars, dark/no badges or trim strips etc IMO make things too drab and slab sided for my liking. I feel the badges, trim strips, light coloured wheels etc make the car look neater, less bloated, something I cant really put into words. all IMO of course.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
yes I hate that and also officially its illegal. although nobody has ever been prosecuted over it (or even been warned) it does count as an offence under construction and use regulations IIRC. I found an email address to a police force further south in the country than I am, and they responded and enclosed an email copy of a leaflet type document outlining the regulations on this. IMO its dangerous and should be rigorously enforced.

anyhow, as for the OP, personally I dislike too much dark on dark cars. legal window tints are fine, but dark wheels on dark cars, dark/no badges or trim strips etc IMO make things too drab and slab sided for my liking. I feel the badges, trim strips, light coloured wheels etc make the car look neater, less bloated, something I cant really put into words. all IMO of course.
Most likely invalidates insurance too if not 'declared'.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5

I think contrasting chrome trim finishes off a car and is the equivalent to some classic jewelry on a girl.
By classic I dont mean crass Trump Bling or that naff Indian filegre gold ... just a nice gold Rolex with tiny diamonds in the face, a decent diamond ring and some small tasteful earings and a simple gold chain.

The wife didnt object either! Funny that buy her a Rolex and you are a hero ... buy an AMG and you are a total idot!
Hmmm never did understand women .... but as the old adage goes .. "who Cares" ;)

And before you ask the Rolex arrived 2 days before the 'surprise' new SL 500 ;);)
Not a murmour other than ... "yes it looks lovely Dear! "
Result!! :):)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom