Top down?

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
It's not the temperature (which is compensated by draft up to 35 degrees - without A/C here and just windows to open it's actually rather pleasant once used to it as long as not stuck in traffic): The problem is the strength of the sun. We've just started summer here and already people cross the road to walk in the shadier side between 11am and 7pm. You just would not want a convertible in these conditions.

In a convertible you'll get the full brunt of it and you would not feel being burnt as the wind rushing over would disguise the feeling and then it would be too late. I'm pretty used to the sun, have a mediterranean tan and try not to use sunscreen and am much more resilirent than those who use sunscreen to walk for 5 minutes; I can only be in the direct sun for 30 minutes between 12 and 6 before I would burn, anything longer and I need sunscreen.

xtriple

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208 Convertible 320. Vauxhall Astra estate (yuck!) Jeep Cherokee 4.0.
At the moment, top down is every day, A/C on is also every day 'cos I don't know how to turn it off! I have the aircon directed at my feet which keeps them lovely and cool, sadly one of the dogs has sussed this out and now clambers into the passenger footwell at eery opportunity as he needs all the help he can get to keep his lardy posterior cool :)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
It's not the temperature (which is compensated by draft up to 35 degrees - without A/C here and just windows to open it's actually rather pleasant once used to it as long as not stuck in traffic): The problem is the strength of the sun. We've just started summer here and already people cross the road to walk in the shadier side between 11am and 7pm. You just would not want a convertible in these conditions.

In a convertible you'll get the full brunt of it and you would not feel being burnt as the wind rushing over would disguise the feeling and then it would be too late. I'm pretty used to the sun, have a mediterranean tan and try not to use sunscreen and am much more resilirent than those who use sunscreen to walk for 5 minutes; I can only be in the direct sun for 30 minutes between 12 and 6 before I would burn, anything longer and I need sunscreen.
I now use once a day sunscreen works a treat but have not driven over 27 degrees, in stationery traffic Aircon goes on, pity the Airscarf only heats, would be good if it cooled also.

Mercedes SL500 R231

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
My SL 129 has special order cloth seats so no sweaty problems, cool in summer and cosy when its cold.
Wind deflector works a treat, my hat blew off once but I had dropped the wind deflector cos it was very still and hot. The hat ended up in the back of the car lol
The car is not used between November and April

Glynn350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e350 cdi cabriolet 2012
As said above, it depends on the car, and on your height somewhat when it comes to some of your questions.

In the S2000 I had you couldn't really hold a conversation at 80mph (roof up or down!), and sustaining those speeds for long periods(germany/france etc) would make your ears ring and give you a headache if you were over 6ft, and totally ruin your hair do(If you have some).
A couple of years ago I was in Italy and south coast of France in it in August, and it was fine if you wore a brimmed hat at speeds above 40mph(heat wise), but once I dropped below that on the seaside resort roads I had to put the aircon on with the roof up as it was too hot, especially in traffic, I started to feel a bit ill (late 30's - 40C).

The E class cabriolet on the other hand is fine at any speed really with the windows up (unless you're sat in the back, even the air deflector doesn't stop the buffeting at motorway speeds in the back). Hair is fine too.

As mentioned above, when the fabric roof is up you wouldn't know it was a convertible without touching the roof as it is very quiet and quite cool at all speeds, compared to the S2000 and I'd guess other soft top cars which are loud even with the roof up. Merc got the sound deadening material in the roof spot on. It certainly never makes me wish I had a hard-top convertible.

In this weather over here I have the roof down all day, only putting it back up when I go to bed. I made the mistake of leaving the roof down in direct sunlight though, and couldn't sit on the (black) leather seats without a towel over the top as they were crazy hot! (31C day)

It's coming to France with me this August, I can't think of many other car's I'd rather go down in (other than an E500 cabriolet!), as it does everything: All the benefits of a coupe with the roof up, loads of space for two passengers plus luggage wine, beer, v quiet etc; but all the benefits of a cabriolet when the roof is down, without some of the drawbacks of cheaper cabs. Include mega range/economy and good power and all I'm missing is a characterful noise from the engine, which would likely be mutually exclusive with the economy.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom