Trump versus News media.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Trump says.... some in the US news media should be considered an "enemy of the people", and is now excluding them from press briefings,
America the home of freedom of speech and the right to disagree :confused:
apparently not.

Last edited:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The proverbial will hit the fan when the first journalist is assassinated.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Trump says.... some in the US news media should be considered an "enemy of the people", and is now excluding them from press briefings,
America the home of freedom of speech and the right to disagree :confused:
apparently not.

You are aware that the White House Press Corps assignment is an invitation- only thing, where the journalists in attendance are vetted most carefully first, and thus is a privilege not a right? In point of fact the White House is not obliged to offer media briefings and does so as a traditional courtesy. Now what happens when that courtesy is abused?

The point being made here is that accurate reporting from specific reporters has been compromised by those same reporters, who either report selectively (misinformation) or change whole sections of the facts in their reports (disinformation). You'll note that both of those methods are used in wartime propaganda campaigns... So, those reporters proven to have done this found their editors called up by the Press Secretary and told they were Persona Non Grata, please return your credentials.

This is the whole reason why The Donald made such a noise about using Twitter to bypass the media- because in many cases he couldn't trust the media to report his words accurately. So he decided to do so himself.

Incidentally this issue has already got so bad that all government Press Support Officers have orders now to not conduct live-to-camera interviews without their own camera crew recording the interview.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Media are the enemy within, Donald is a nut job but he is right about the press.

Take Brexit for example. Ministers walk around with their notes showing and a British photographer gets a photo showing whats written.
He has the choice to discard the photo for the good of his countries future or publish it for the good of his news rag for one day, which does he choose?

The scum also try to get stories from people and tell them if they dont give their story for them to publish, they will make it up and it will look ten times worse. Isn't that blackmail?
The media are lowlifes and it's high time they were made to account for themselves.
A fine of tens of thousands is no problem for them, they pay it and carry on doing the same thing again and again.

Imprisonment for treason and for knowingly destroying lives with their lies is the only way we will get proper newspapers again.
I'm not for censorship of facts unless it's treason.
The way Cliff Richard was treated by the media was disgraceful and immoral.
Plenty of others too but that's a good example of their moral compass.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Trump was disliked by most of the media from the day he first entered the fray their darling (Clinton) despite their best efforts was defeated.
So now they carry on their fight twisting and often inventing "news" similar to our remainers press.
Hilary was supposed to carry on the "I'm alright jack" agenda of the Democrat elite.
Trump "perceived" blundering around is part of his attraction and gives the media huge space to distort.

So to some extent he is the author of his own misfortune.

He has stoked up political interest around the world started by Brexit our Universities have record applications for Politics courses he and Brexit are needed to wake us from our Political apathy.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I did some digging and came up with a survey taken in early 2016 of the 72- strong press corps in question.

Of the journalists surveyed, more than a quarter are registered Democrats and 13 percent are not members of any political party. Sixty percent are not registered to vote, but 72 percent of those polled said they think reporters should vote in elections they cover

So almost 3/4 of the reporters consider it OK to have a definable political bias, a quarter are registered Democrats and that quarter makes up two thirds of those who are eligible to vote.

And one wonders why the media stories around 1600 P.A. are slanted.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
You are aware that the White House Press Corps assignment is an invitation- only thing, where the journalists in attendance are vetted most carefully first, and thus is a privilege not a right? In point of fact the White House is not obliged to offer media briefings and does so as a traditional courtesy. Now what happens when that courtesy is abused?

The point being made here is that accurate reporting from specific reporters has been compromised by those same reporters, who either report selectively (misinformation) or change whole sections of the facts in their reports (disinformation). You'll note that both of those methods are used in wartime propaganda campaigns... So, those reporters proven to have done this found their editors called up by the Press Secretary and told they were Persona Non Grata, please return your credentials

This is the whole reason why The Donald made such a noise about using Twitter to bypass the media- because in many cases he couldn't trust the media to report his words accurately. So he decided to do so himself.

Incidentally this issue has already got so bad that all government Press Support Officers have orders now to not conduct live-to-camera interviews without their own camera crew recording the interview.

Presumably you also support the banning of the BBC?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Presumably you also support the banning of the BBC?

You invite the BBC to cover a newsworthy event. It's worth a lot to your business.

They do, and report things that are not factually correct in a way designed to you your career most harm.

Would you continue to invite them?

Why would I also presumably support the banning of the BBC, I rather struggle to see how you would reach that conclusion from my post.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You invite the BBC to cover a newsworthy event. It's worth a lot to your business.

They do, and report things that are not factually correct in a way designed to you your career most harm.

Would you continue to invite them?

Why would I also presumably support the banning of the BBC, I rather struggle to see how you would reach that conclusion from my post.

Which is the most respected international news organisation in the world? The BBC. But now - for unspecified reasons - no longer welcome at the White House. They are on the Trump 'banned' list.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Which is the most respected international news organisation in the world? The BBC. But now - for unspecified reasons - no longer welcome at the White House. They are on the Trump 'banned' list.

And look at the accuracy of their reporting of his Presidency so far. Abysmal.

The BBC was one of the most respected news organisations in the world until 15-20 years ago, sadly not the case now. From what I can tell that position has been taken by Sky News although the state of the news media industry in general, especially with "sensationalism" has made it pretty shameful. One Press Advisory chap I deal with at work says quite often, "If the BBC told me it was dark outside at 6 o'clock in November, I'd feel obliged to open the door and check".

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unsubstantiated assertions and a closed mind = end of the thread as far as I am concerned.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unsubstantiated assertions and a closed mind = end of the thread as far as I am concerned.

Substantiate your assertions of accuracy then, and open your mind. The BBC reporter was PNG'd for a reason. What is it- superb accuracy of reporting the briefing?

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Substantiate your assertions of accuracy then, and open your mind. The BBC reporter was PNG'd for a reason. What is it- superb accuracy of reporting the briefing?

Breaking my own promise to go no further here but....wherever you go in the world,with the possible exception of Russia, you will find nothing but praise for the accuracy and impartiality of BBC journalism. It's just a given. At least it was until a super-thin-skinned joke became US president.

OP
Taffy7hfa

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Might as well throw them in jail/execute them while were at it, standard practise for any good despot. How can anyone not see this as the thin end of a wedge ?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Breaking my own promise to go no further here but....wherever you go in the world,with the possible exception of Russia, you will find nothing but praise for the accuracy and impartiality of BBC journalism. It's just a given. At least it was until a super-thin-skinned joke became US president.

Really honestly, not for a long time in my direct personal experience. The sensationalism shown by Auntie over the Fukushima plant incident was deplorable- at that time I was working in energy infrastructure, we were comparing what was on BBC TV news with the press releases being put out by the Japanese nuclear regulatory body and the two were completely, totally different, bore no relation to each other. That's not to say it's universally bad, by the way, more flashing- good and bad mixed up enough to make people question it.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Might as well throw them in jail/execute them while were at it, standard practise for any good despot. How can anyone not see this as the thin end of a wedge ?

How can you not see the specific facts shown and understand the significant press bias explicit in them?

OP
Taffy7hfa

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How can you not see the specific facts shown and understand the significant press bias explicit in them?

Press bias or difference of opinion ? whichever it is, banning news organisations from government press gatherings is not something that should happen in any democracy.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Press bias or difference of opinion ? whichever it is, banning news organisations from government press gatherings is not something that should happen in any democracy.

When I say "bias" I mean, reporting things that were not said as though they were.

Although in this case one should bear in mind, the BBC along with two other outlets was not invited (not banned...) to one specific meeting. Not a blanket ban.

Bias? Inaccuracy?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One other thought here. Trump likes to make demonstrations of intent. So I'm willing to bet that this is a public slapping- around of those news outlets as a lesson. "Behave and you get to play with the big boys".

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One other thought here. Trump likes to make demonstrations of intent. So I'm willing to bet that this is a public slapping- around of those news outlets as a lesson. "Behave and you get to play with the big boys".

If that's his plan, it will backfire massively. If there's one thing calculated to fire up journalists it's abuse of power.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom