Trump versus News media.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The BBC has let itself down over Trump, they have been carried along with the Anti Trump hysteria as were many of our politicians who with hindsight would probably wish they had been less partisan.

A more grown up assessment of him and his policies is needed.

It is clear that for someone with zero political experience he and his administration has done better than could reasonably be expected.

Still plenty of events to come he hasn't met Putin yet.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Why has the BBC let Trump down? And what has he achieved?
His new executive order he promised on immigration is now nearly a week overdue.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
He said that the BBC has let itself down, not Trump.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
The bbc may not lie about wht they are reporting on, but they do miss large chunks out of what is really happening, making what they report quite a bit different from reality..
Then they just completely ignore other events happening in europe altogether...
They spent so much time reporting on trump temporarily banning muslims from certain country's, but didnt say a word about Saudi kicking out a reported 40,000 Pakistanis.. ? (maybe they did and i blinked and missed it)
No one mentions japan and their muslim policy either ?
So as for the earlier comment of unbiased?
I will watch the bbc news, but google a bit deeper and find the real truth !

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Why has the BBC let Trump down? And what has he achieved?
His new executive order he promised on immigration is now nearly a week overdue.

Correction, kindly pointed out by Craig, as it should have read 'Why has the BBC let itself down over President Trump.'

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
The bbc may not lie about wht they are reporting on, but they do miss large chunks out of what is really happening, making what they report quite a bit different from reality..
They spent so much time reporting on trump temporarily banning muslims from certain country's, but didnt say a word about Saudi kicking out a reported 40,000 Pakistanis.. ? (maybe they did and i blinked and missed it)

the BBC are a disgrace when it comes to UK politics so why do we expect them to be any better with those of foreigners, they are the Government mouth piece

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi

Maybe the Saudi and Japanese situations are not recent news events and not unexpected, whereas the Trump travel ban was unexpected, and a departure from their usually liberal view of travellers? Also I suggest that US news is of more interest to most BBC viewers and listeners.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
the BBC are a disgrace when it comes to UK politics so why do we expect them to be any better with those of foreigners, they are the Government mouth piece

They report on Government activities but also include news events about the Labour and UKIP etc.
Recently the BBC has reported on issues in the NHS and spent time in hospitals and interviewed NHS staff which I dont think did much to support Government
policy on the NHS.
However we cant all have the same opinions.

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They still attack the Welsh nhs very frequently, but where bias is most evident is on the Daily Politics show and increasingly on the Today programme thanks to Nick Robinson. In the past we had Brian Redhead and an earlier feisty version of John Humphries now we had Tory placemen

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Maybe the Saudi and Japanese situations are not recent news events and not unexpected, whereas the Trump travel ban was unexpected, and a departure from their usually liberal view of travellers? Also I suggest that US news is of more interest to most BBC viewers and listeners.

Considering that the 90-120 day temporary ban (it really isn't a permanent ban remember, it has specific time limits) was announced as a manifesto commitment during the election campaign, why would it be unexpected?

A pessimist might say that maybe the Japanese and Saudi stories would provoke far less public reaction than an American story.

Also anyone who has had anything at all to do with the American INS until around 2008-9 will tell you that they had an usually decidedly illiberal view of foreign travellers. A very strict, unfriendly, deeply suspicious view indeed in fact. The whole lax view on immigration is just an Obama thing. So when a new POTUS comes in on a ticket of, amongst other things, cutting out illegal immigration and extremist Muslim terrorism, and used both the draft copy and list details from an already written EO, why should that be so sensationally newsworthy?

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
They still attack the Welsh nhs very frequently, but where bias is most evident is on the Daily Politics show and increasingly on the Today programme thanks to Nick Robinson. In the past we had Brian Redhead and an earlier feisty version of John Humphries now we had Tory placemen

My wife listens to the Today programme and thinks the presenters are rude and arrogant but ask searching questions to the guests. I will have to have a listen and take a view.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My wife listens to the Today programme and thinks the presenters are rude and arrogant but ask searching questions to the guests. I will have to have a listen and take a view.

Depends on the presenters and the attitudes of the guests. They're almost always deeply probing, but you can very clearly tell when they're pushing their own agenda. I listen to Today every weekday.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
How can Trumps travel ban be unexpected ?

In a campaign statement in December 2015, he said a "total and complete" shutdown should remain until the US authorities "can figure out" Muslim attitudes to the US.

Then theres extreme vetting ..

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've been listening to it for 50 years and its the worst its ever been, the evening show, PM when Eddie Mair is on is much better

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I do watch the BBC but in my opinion most presenters are biased with the exception of Andrew Neil who is brilliant and always seems know his stuff.

Trump v media, well he is difficult to like but he has been given a hard time by most of the media yet his ratings amongst the population is strong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The BBC is clearly anti-Trump, anti-Brexit and consequentially anti-democratic.

Until they can return to impartial Broadcasting they need bringing before Parliament to remind them of their charter (up for renewal April 2017).

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The BBC is clearly anti-Trump, anti-Brexit and consequentially anti-democratic.

Until they can return to impartial Broadcasting they need bringing before Parliament to remind them of their charter (up for renewal April 2017).

Go on then...how do they do it?

I was listening to the radio this morning..we're having another election in NI.

One caller came on and accused the BBC of filling the debate audience on BBC1 last night with Sinn Fein supporters...then, immediately after, another caller accused the BBC of filling the debate audience with DUP supporters.

So, come on...who's correct, if either?

Last edited:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Go on then...how do they do it?

I was listening to the radio this morning..we're having another election in NI.

One caller came on and accused the BBC of filling the debate audience on BBC1 last night with Sinn Fein supporters...then, immediately after, another caller accused the BBC of filling the debate audience with DUP supporters.

So, come on...who's correct, if either?

Often when the media want to push an angle they go into the street to interview. It isn't often they will show a balance of opinions from those they speak to. If you believe it everyone in the example town thinks the same.
This can only be seen as a bias, even if the bias changes the next day.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom