Turbo and/or DPF - is it worth repairing

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
I posted a while back about a problem we were having with the DPF in our car. We've done several of the things which were recommended to us such as using Archoil, doing a regen - everything bar having the DPF removed and cleaned.

The car was ok for a couple of months, then the engine light came back on. We got it checked and the error suggested the DPF again. We were asked various questions about how it was running and the mechanic took it out for a drive and said he didn't think it was the filter based on how it was driving, and suggested we replace the sensor. This was done and it ran fine for a few months before the engine light came on again. A check on a (non star) machine suggested that the soot levels were quite low.

Since a few days ago, the car has developed a high pitched noise reminiscent of the clutch going back in the day, but perhaps more shrill and whiny. The mechanic thought it might be something to do with the turbo and that this could be causing the DPF to get sooted up.

We've just had it on a STAR machine and the error codes were:
2509-002 Check component N33/2 (Heater booster control module). Positioner signals fault.
2621-002 Ash content of diesel particulate filter TOO HIGH

There are various other bits and pieces which are showing signs of wear and tear such as the steering rack, possible leak from the injectors, ball joints etc. The car is 13 years old and has very high mileage (220k).

We're worried that this could end up costing us a lot of money when the car is only worth around £2k max. We're thinking that perhaps it's time to get rid of the car (scrap it?) and get something newer and just wondered whether others who understand cars a lot better than we do thought it was worth trying to sort out the problems we have with it.

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
I reckon you could easily spend £2000 at an indie sorting out all of those problems to be left with a car worth next to nothing with starship miles on it. Only another Merc driver would understand that 220,000 miles isn't that much but even then you'd be wondering what was going to fail next. On the other hand, it might run for another 100,000 miles fault free.

Do a risk management exercise. If the risk is unacceptable, trade it in and use the £2000 to get a slightly newer Merc with less miles. What about a Ford under their scrappage scheme?

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Thanks, mercedes13156. I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of worrying what is going to fail next. Before the possible turbo issue we were being quoted a worst case scenario of £1,700 + vat to sort out the other bits including the dpf.

We've only been offered 400-550 trade in/scrap.

I didn't realise Ford were doing a scrappage deal so will check that out - thanks. We had a look at Vauxhall cars at the weekend because of their scrappage scheme, but didn't like the cars and apparently the company no longer produce a price list so they can effectively charge what they like!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Thanks, mercedes13156. I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of worrying what is going to fail next. Before the possible turbo issue we were being quoted a worst case scenario of £1,700 + vat to sort out the other bits including the dpf.

We've only been offered 400-550 trade in/scrap.

I didn't realise Ford were doing a scrappage deal so will check that out - thanks. We had a look at Vauxhall cars at the weekend because of their scrappage scheme, but didn't like the cars and apparently the company no longer produce a price list so they can effectively charge what they like!
I reckon that companies are just going to add 2k to the new cars ....but I've got a low opinion of human nature :D

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
I'm with you on that one, Wighty!

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
;)

Just noticed you are over in Sunny Essex, Wighty, and we may be moving there. Where do you take your car for servicing, repairs etc?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
;)

Just noticed you are over in Sunny Essex, Wighty, and we may be moving there. Where do you take your car for servicing, repairs etc?
I do a lot myself but for anything else I hit the A12 and drive for an hour to sunny Stowmarket in Suffolk to see Alex Crow ( very good Indy with excellent prices !)

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
How about just getting some proper diagnosis done with someone that knows what they are doing with a STAR machine together with a health check.

For less than £100 you could probably find out what is exactly wrong and what else may want replacement.

Ball joints and brakes could be worn out on any other second hand car you purchase....

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Thanks for the recommendation, Wighty. We may check it out if we end up over that way.

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
How about just getting some proper diagnosis done with someone that knows what they are doing with a STAR machine together with a health check.

For less than £100 you could probably find out what is exactly wrong and what else may want replacement.

Ball joints and brakes could be worn out on any other second hand car you purchase....

Thanks, Steve. Good idea, but the question then is where could we go to get an honest opinion from someone who is reliable and reasonable. It's been one thing after another with the car for some time now which is a shame because my husband loves the car.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Where about are you in herts, maybe one of us here can recomend a good indy

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wayne gates isn't that far

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Where about are you in herts, maybe one of us here can recomend a good indy
We're in south west Herts near Hemel Hempstead, Watford.

I've found a Wayne Gates over Harrow way - is that the indy you're talking about?

Does anyone have any personal experience of using him?

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
That's the one were talking about, Terry will look after you, just mention you were directed his way by the forum

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
... It's been one thing after another with the car for some time now which is a shame because my husband loves the car.

Then that's not as bad as it sounds. The more niggles you've had fixed, the less there are to fix.

I've seen owners who've spent heavily on their cars and got so fed up that they've sold them in frustration.
The next owner laughs because he's just bought a car that has had all the major niggles sorted by the previous owner.

See Terry, get the health check, and keep the car!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We're in south west Herts near Hemel Hempstead, Watford.

I've found a Wayne Gates over Harrow way - is that the indy you're talking about?

Does anyone have any personal experience of using him?
He gets loads of good reviews on here for his expertise/pricing .

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
That's the one were talking about, Terry will look after you, just mention you were directed his way by the forum
Thanks for confirming :)

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Thanks, Wighty and also umblecumbuz :)

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom