Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Last edited:

monkeh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007/8 Chrysler, 300c, OM642 lump
Thought about mapping out the DPF and bypassing it? I mean for what, £200 for a bypass pipe and map out. Maybe £300 tops for a turbo. £500 you could get back if you end up parting your car out if it doesn't pan out the right way.

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Thought about mapping out the DPF and bypassing it? I mean for what, £200 for a bypass pipe and map out. Maybe £300 tops for a turbo. £500 you could get back if you end up parting your car out if it doesn't pan out the right way.
Thanks, monkeh. I thought it was illegal to remove it these days. Also, what happens to all the soot etc., and wouldn't the car fail on emissions?

Last edited:

monkeh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, monkeh. I thought it was illegal to remove it these days. Also, what happens to all the soot etc., and wouldn't the car fail on emissions?
If you intend on scrapping it, What have you got to lose? My 300c has not had a DPF on it for the past 2 years, for some reason it still passes the soot test with no problems. The om642 seems to run pretty clean. It's up to you what you want to do with the DPF, Just saying that there are more options than scrapping the car.

You've probably killed the DPF, They're only meant to prove themselves for 100,000 miles. If the turbo is breathing oil and your engine is burning it. I bet its now just a block of ash.

You could take it off and get it cleaned, but if it were to go back on, You'd need to replace the turbo if that was the root cause.

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
If you intend on scrapping it, What have you got to lose? My 300c has not had a DPF on it for the past 2 years, for some reason it still passes the soot test with no problems. The om642 seems to run pretty clean. It's up to you what you want to do with the DPF, Just saying that there are more options than scrapping the car.

You've probably killed the DPF, They're only meant to prove themselves for 100,000 miles. If the turbo is breathing oil and your engine is burning it. I bet its now just a block of ash.

You could take it off and get it cleaned, but if it were to go back on, You'd need to replace the turbo if that was the root cause.

Thanks, monkeh. You've raised some good points which we'll take back to the mechanic.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Just realised your car is a 04 car so I'm really surprised it had a dpf at all?

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Just realised your car is a 04 car so I'm really surprised it had a dpf at all?

Unfortunately it definitely has a dpf ...! :(

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
If the exhaust pipe is sooty and black in the tail pipe then you don't have a dpf , shiny and clean you do o_O

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
It is illegal to remove the dpf but at MOT there's only a visual inspection to see it's there. However, it's common to remove the dpf core to remove the obstruction as others have stated. Soot levels will rise a little but i've known others get through the MOT without issue.

monkeh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is illegal to remove the dpf but at MOT there's only a visual inspection to see it's there. However, it's common to remove the dpf core to remove the obstruction as others have stated. Soot levels will rise a little but i've known others get through the MOT without issue.
'Every year it passes without the DPF is a bonus year it stays on the road.'
I am part of the Volvo community, and there are a few d5 engines that seem to clog up quite regular. Most are intergalactic mileage and the owners are just hanging on to them. They are going down the 'gut and map' route. An XC90 owner complained about a DPF a few years ago, We get the post every year of a redacted MOT certificate with a cheesy grin.
Nature of high mileage D5 engines blow a hell of a lot of oil from the turbo and crankcase.

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Just an update to those who kindly responded to my OP. We've had a healthcheck as was suggested and it was really helpful, although not the best outcome.

The issue with the DPF is something of a mystery - it appears to be doing a regen as it should and is showing low soot levels, but something is kicking it off and forcing the engine management light to pop up regularly.

We have a problem with the turbo (although no fault is coming up) which may or may not be affecting the DPF. The suggestion is that the turbo is removed and checked to see what's going on with that, then work from there as it may be causing a problem with the DPF, sensors etc.

It's possible/likely that we will also need to get the DPF cleaned and or replaced in any event as we've done 200k+ miles.

More generally, the car isn't in the condition that it should be given that we've always had it serviced, repaired etc as required.

On top of that, there's £1,500 of work which needs doing so we're looking at a best case scenario of £2,500, or £3,000 worst case.

Our thinking at the moment is to quit whilst we're ahead :(

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Just an update to those who kindly responded to my OP. We've had a healthcheck as was suggested and it was really helpful, although not the best outcome.

The issue with the DPF is something of a mystery - it appears to be doing a regen as it should and is showing low soot levels, but something is kicking it off and forcing the engine management light to pop up regularly.

We have a problem with the turbo (although no fault is coming up) which may or may not be affecting the DPF. The suggestion is that the turbo is removed and checked to see what's going on with that, then work from there as it may be causing a problem with the DPF, sensors etc.

It's possible/likely that we will also need to get the DPF cleaned and or replaced in any event as we've done 200k+ miles.

More generally, the car isn't in the condition that it should be given that we've always had it serviced, repaired etc as required.

On top of that, there's £1,500 of work which needs doing so we're looking at a best case scenario of £2,500, or £3,000 worst case.

Our thinking at the moment is to quit whilst we're ahead :(
Sadly, this is always the conclusion when you have to pay labour. You can spent many hours chasing that 'we don't quite know scenario' and all of those hours have an hourly fee.

I managed to save mine but i couldn't tell you how many hours I've poured into it, not to mention the help I've recieved received from this forum.

Sounds like yours has had its last rites and it'll soon be time for the last post.

A shame, such is life. I'm sorry we couldn't help you further.

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Sadly, this is always the conclusion when you have to pay labour. You can spent many hours chasing that 'we don't quite know scenario' and all of those hours have an hourly fee.

I managed to save mine but i couldn't tell you how many hours I've poured into it, not to mention the help I've recieved received from this forum.

Sounds like yours has had its last rites and it'll soon be time for the last post.

A shame, such is life. I'm sorry we couldn't help you further.

You've all been incredibly helpful on here, and I really appreciate it.

As you suggest, our worry is that we could spend a lot of money simply trying to find out what the problem is, and even then it may not be the complete answer.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom