Turbo, rare issue!

clk320x

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 W209 2003
Hi guys!

My E class drives excellent 99% of the time, however once every few weeks it will go into ‘limp home mode’ (no warning lights etc.)

It will still drive fine, but there will be no boost. Pulling over and turning it off and on will resolve this.

Anyway plugged in Star and the codes stored are below:

- 2510-001 Check component Y100/1 (Right charge pressure positioner) Positioner signals fault. (Stored)

- 2632-008 Check system ‘charge pressure control’ Charge pressure is too high. (Stored)

The fact it drives perfectly 99% of the time makes me wonder how the turbo can be faulty?

The turbo actuator was replaced before, but the symptoms remain. I suppose I need the entire turbo unit replaced? Weird?

I think the replacement actuator was faulty.

I had a look on ebay, and there are refurbed turbos for around £250. I would need to send my old unit back after it was removed.

Turbocharger Mercedes E320 S320 CDI 150kw A6480960299 A6480960099 +Gaskets | eBay

Mercedes E S class 320 CDI W211 W220 743436 GTA2359VK 150 Kw 204 HP OM648 Turbo 768240650255 | eBay

Any advice?

Thanks

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
defo reads like the actuator if faulty pal , does it activate if you flick the ignition on and off ? obvs need the engine cover off to see it working

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Those look like boost control issues not turbo issues.
It may be the vanes in the turbo starting to stick I suppose causing positioner errors and over boost.

OP
C

clk320x

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 W209 2003
Thanks for the replies guys,

My garage tested the actuator using star and it seems to be working ok.
Not sure if I should contact the actuator company and put in a warranty claim? I suppose as it was a rebuilt one it could be faulty?

The issue only presents itself once every week maybe even once a fortnight. Very confusing! Otherwise the turbo seems fine. :)

Car has done 230k but most motorway.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I had exactly the same issue on my 270 years ago, I was told actuator or turbo needed to be replaced, I did neither and replaced an O2 sensor on the intake, didn’t have a problem for 40k miles until I begrudgingly sold it.

OP
C

clk320x

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 W209 2003
I had exactly the same issue on my 270 years ago, I was told actuator or turbo needed to be replaced, I did neither and replaced an O2 sensor on the intake, didn’t have a problem for 40k miles until I begrudgingly sold it.

Oh wow this is confusing isn’t it haha :D

Do you remember if there were any codes for that sensor pal?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
Common fault is the exhaust back pressures sensor.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
P0472 usually. Best to get the live data from it when the engines running.

OP
C

clk320x

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 W209 2003
P0472 usually. Best to get the live data from it when the engines running.

No codes like that unfortunately, only the two I listed in the first message 2510-001 and 2632-008 :(

OP
C

clk320x

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 W209 2003
?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
doubt that a turbo,mechanical issue, more like a faulty connection,electronic component , providing signal.or no signal putting engine into limp. if so you just have to keep plodding away at checking signal,voltages wires ect until the culprit is found, earlier this yr i had about three weeks of that before discovering a rodent had just about scoffed thru two fairly essential wires ,all good since. you have my sympathy ,do let us know what turns out to be the issue ,worth looking LK in earlier post clue.. but once,if turbo spinning unlikely any crud stopping it . any rubbing sounds as turbo spins down ? does it do this at about the same load ,rpm, each time? or is it completely random ?

OP
C

clk320x

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 W209 2003
doubt that a turbo,mechanical issue, more like a faulty connection,electronic component , providing signal.or no signal putting engine into limp. if so you just have to keep plodding away at checking signal,voltages wires ect until the culprit is found, earlier this yr i had about three weeks of that before discovering a rodent had just about scoffed thru two fairly essential wires ,all good since. you have my sympathy ,do let us know what turns out to be the issue ,worth looking LK in earlier post clue.. but once,if turbo spinning unlikely any crud stopping it . any rubbing sounds as turbo spins down ? does it do this at about the same load ,rpm, each time? or is it completely random ?

Hi mate,

I think you are spot on, just had a google and someone else had same issue. Ended up being 2 wires of the 6 wires from the ECU>Turbo intermittently losing continuity. He ended up replacing the turbo for no reason! :)

It really rarely happens, maybe 1 time every 1-2 weeks or something?

Tends to be random to be honestly mate.

Cheers

Benzi91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 2013
Ive been getting this same problem on my E250. Getting it serviced next week so going to ask the guy to check it out whilst its there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Oh wow this is confusing isn’t it haha :D

Do you remember if there were any codes for that sensor pal?
I think it was something along the lines of the second fault you had charge pressure to high, afraid I no longer have the paperwork for the car or I'd have taken a look for you, I could try giving the Indy a call and see if they happen to have the info still?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
This is a very very common fault, the two codes are when the turbo actuator goes tits up, just the turbo actuator fault and no back pressure sensor can be one of four of five faults on that signal line, most common in the inlet port shut of motor, the same goes for a single fault code for just the back pressure sensor, I no the codes don’t always make sense, but this is where idiots like us doing it day in and day out, we just no what they mean and what the cure is!!! We used to fit reconditioned actuators but they kept coming back so now we just fit turbos from Garrett, no more problems......

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... We used to fit reconditioned actuators but they kept coming back so now we just fit turbos from Garrett, no more problems......

That's what the Merc indie I took my car to said .... so far my recon actuator is holding its own. £200 vs £2500 on a 10 yr old car was/is a risk I thought was worth taking. :):)

OP
C

clk320x

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 W209 2003
I think it was something along the lines of the second fault you had charge pressure to high, afraid I no longer have the paperwork for the car or I'd have taken a look for you, I could try giving the Indy a call and see if they happen to have the info still?

Thanks so much for the offer pal, but don’t want to give you too much hassle :)

Looks like I may have to budget for a new turbo!

OP
C

clk320x

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320 W209 2003
This is a very very common fault, the two codes are when the turbo actuator goes tits up, just the turbo actuator fault and no back pressure sensor can be one of four of five faults on that signal line, most common in the inlet port shut of motor, the same goes for a single fault code for just the back pressure sensor, I no the codes don’t always make sense, but this is where idiots like us doing it day in and day out, we just no what they mean and what the cure is!!! We used to fit reconditioned actuators but they kept coming back so now we just fit turbos from Garrett, no more problems......

Cole have you seen this?
https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/2004-w211-e320-cdi-turbo-trouble.117939/

Someone with an identical issue to mine, claims that there were 2 wires on the harness from ECU> turbo intermittently losing continuity. Do you think that could be a possibility?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
This is a very very common fault, the two codes are when the turbo actuator goes tits up, just the turbo actuator fault and no back pressure sensor can be one of four of five faults on that signal line, most common in the inlet port shut of motor, the same goes for a single fault code for just the back pressure sensor, I no the codes don’t always make sense, but this is where idiots like us doing it day in and day out, we just no what they mean and what the cure is!!! We used to fit reconditioned actuators but they kept coming back so now we just fit turbos from Garrett, no more problems......[/QUOTE

in the spring i will likely be looking for another car .over complicated over priced stuff like this will be on my list of what to make sure i avoid buying into i cant say i am familiar with this turbo ,actuator motor assly.. so i am guessing that ALL this is pretty close to the turbo and a good amount of heat , cant imagine electronics, electrics,motors ect being much of a good idea anywhere near that .even older mechanical waste gate systems periodically used to sieze the waste gate butterfly spindles . make it simpler ,not more damn complicated ( expensive ) nothin complicated lasts.......

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom