Turn off front passenger airbag on c class?

nicolas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E63 AMG 6.2 PP
Hi,

My wife is 4 months pregnant (our first baby!) and I was just wondering if there is a way to disable the front passenger airbag on my c class (2010)?
Regards,

Nick

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
By using an approved baby seat it will turn off automatically

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Approved baby seating on MBs have a transponder fitted in them, this transponder when in the car is recognised disabling the airbag whilst the seat/transponder is in the car.
Sometimes an MB child seat can be bought off of E-bay cheaply, or if you are lucky, you might even just be able to buy the transponder.
For info transponders are not available separetly from MB though the ones you might find on E-bay i suspect have been removed from a original MB seat.
I did hear talk that Mothercare did seats for Mercedes with transponders fitted to them but i cannot verify this.

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
If you're thinking of turning off the front airbag for your pregnant wife, then don't do that. She's safer - and so is your forthcoming little one - with the airbag active. Watch at 00:40:

[YOUTUBE]2orgbIFId-M[/YOUTUBE]

Also, kids should go in the back if at all possible.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250CDI Sport 2011
I have to fully agree with Troon.

Attended a fatal accident once in which a pregnant women died. According to her husband who had been driving she had decided not to wear her seat belt for the sake of the baby! Well he had seat belt marks, she was dead after going through the windscreen and hitting the van that they had collided with.

Keep the airbag on and seat belt, just make sure the straps are carefully placed. At the very least it is much better to get a few scorch marks and a soft landing than hitting the dashboard hard with the baby.

OP
N

nicolas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E63 AMG 6.2 PP
Thank you all for your responses! I think I will keep the airbag on after reading and watching the video crash test.

OP
N

nicolas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E63 AMG 6.2 PP
Good idea and quite a cheeky one. Let's hope my wife does not read this reply...

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
You're welcome. It's a service we provide. :)

Mercedes-2010

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C350 AMG Sport (2013)
Thank you all for your responses! I think I will keep the airbag on after reading and watching the video crash test.

Glad you've said that :D

However it's a different case if the car seat is to be put there once baby is born.... I was sure that the transponder could be got hold of as an add on unit, but as the lads say on here, only available on an MB seat would make safety sense guess....

All the best...

Dave C

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom