Tyre Pressure Warning '59 W211 E280 Sport

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
Greetings :)

My new motor has gone back to the garage to get a mirror motor replaced, and have the TPMS checked out.....
Tyre pressures are ok - set to data inside the fuel flap (and checked since) - yet the dashboard lights up fairly regularly complaining about pressures.

So.... mechanic guy has plugged in and there are no TPMS faults recorded (on ecu presumably) so they are not sure what gives (and no - it is not a Merc garage!)

Does the TPMS actually run from the sensors in the wheel or ABS system?
Would the fault codes be stored elsewhere - convenience module etc??

Any ideas that could aid diagnostics??

Cheers In Advance

Rob

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
There are two types of TPMS - direct and indirect.
If you can read pressures for each tyre you have a direct system. If not its indirect.
Have you reset the TPMS when the tyre pressures are correct?

OP
R

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
There are two types of TPMS - direct and indirect.
If you can read pressures for each tyre you have a direct system. If not its indirect.
Have you reset the TPMS when the tyre pressures are correct?
Hi lostKiwi, i have seen no pressures displayed so i am assuming indirect for now.. ..
I played with pressures and resetting over the weekend but not necessarily in that specific order :-/
Does resetting capture the current pressure and then monitor that, or monitor against preset values?
Cheers
Rob

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
An indirect system doesn't know pressures, it only reads the ABS sensors to 'see' if any wheel is rotating at an unexpected speed.
When the system is reset with correct pressures it sets values for each wheel as you drive.
With a puncture, that wheel will begin to rotate at a different speed compared to it's previous value relative to the other wheels known good pressure values.
It works very well if the user resets the system after topping up or checking tyre pressures.

OP
R

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
Many thanks chaps; I am now better educated and have had no recurrence of this issue (since doing it properly)

:)

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
What I used to do with my CLS that had the same system as your 211 is I would reset the monitor every time I do the tyre pressures. Never had a problem doing it that way.

Only once did my dash go red, and that is when I actually had a flat :D

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom