Tyre pressures in winter?

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Although personally I have never seen it, I presume that there is a Tyre / Pressure guide out there, that not only gives the proper PSI for any make and size tyre, but also at what temperature. Driving in a Country with continuous ave temp of 30c upwards, and at the other end, from minus 5c downwards. I'm sure that the "Standard" PSI would need to be adjusted.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Although personally I have never seen it, I presume that there is a Tyre / Pressure guide out there, that not only gives the proper PSI for any make and size tyre, but also at what temperature. Driving in a Country with continuous ave temp of 30c upwards, and at the other end, from minus 5c downwards. I'm sure that the "Standard" PSI would need to be adjusted.

Why would the pressure need to be adjusted for different climates? Unless you moved from one climate to another in a very short time span.
A tyre inflated to 30psi at 30c is the same pressure as a tyre inflated to 30psi at 5c.
The pressure determines the amount of stiffness the tyre has and it determines the footprint, so 30psi is the same in any country at any temperature.
In soft snow you might want to lower the pressures a bit but that's a different issue.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Why would the pressure need to be adjusted for different climates? Unless you moved from one climate to another in a very short time span.
A tyre inflated to 30psi at 30c is the same pressure as a tyre inflated to 30psi at 5c.
The pressure determines the amount of stiffness the tyre has and it determines the footprint, so 30psi is the same in any country at any temperature.
In soft snow you might want to lower the pressures a bit but that's a different issue.

Factually correct but once the car is put to use the tyre temperature rises as does the gas inside, which expands with rising temperature which in turn increases the pressure. A tyre pressure set at ambient 30C will not increase as much as a tyre pressure set at 5C once at the full working tyre temperature and the gas inside.

Hence tyre pressures in cold weather should be set a little lower than in hot weather assuming the pressures are set when the tyres are "cold".

Mic

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Nitrogen works better and is more stable especially at lower temperatures but only ATS I think offer it comprehensively (and charge £1.30 per tyre to fill!). It doesn’t migrate through the tyre wall as easily as air too so holds the pressure in the tyre longer....

Chris Perry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 C220 2018
My w205 sport with 17 inch wheels has 42psi on the fuel cap seems overly high... When i got the car it had 36psi in... I upped it to 42 when i checked them as per the fuel cap it now seems a bit skittish....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My w205 sport with 17 inch wheels has 42psi on the fuel cap seems overly high... When i got the car it had 36psi in... I upped it to 42 when i checked them as per the fuel cap it now seems a bit skittish....
36 all round would ride much better!

quinnj3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport Coupe Auto 227bhp
For what it’s worth I set my pressures when the tyres are cold to the recommended pressures. If the weather takes a dip in temperature I’ll put more in to bring them up to spec. As the weather warms I’ll let a bit out. I visually check my tyres almost daily but check every 6 weeks or so with a digital gauge. As I have pressure monitoring in the car I’ve slacked a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom