Tyre pressures?

mrbriggs

Reaction score
Hi again,

I am picking the CLK 320 up today. It has a set of aftermarket AMG alloys (think they are copies to be honest) They are 17". Just wondered what should the tyre pressures be? Would it be the same as the standard pressures? Also, my journey to work consists of sitting in traffic for 5 miles, a 15 mile blast down the motorway and then 5 miles in traffic again. Most of my other travelling is mainly motorway. Should I inflate them to loaded/speed setting or just standard?

Thanks in advance

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I would follow the info in the fuel filler cap and use the higher pressures. If you find the middle of the tread wearing out then drop the pressures slightly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The presure for the tyres is the same as inside the fuel lid, these are set by the car maker and not the tyre maker. this stays the same irispective of the wheels fitted, as in the other post, I tend to use slightly higher to stop wheel damage and have a better rolling resistance.

Malcolm

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
mrbriggs said:
Hi again,

I am picking the CLK 320 up today. It has a set of aftermarket AMG alloys (think they are copies to be honest) They are 17". Just wondered what should the tyre pressures be? Would it be the same as the standard pressures? Also, my journey to work consists of sitting in traffic for 5 miles, a 15 mile blast down the motorway and then 5 miles in traffic again. Most of my other travelling is mainly motorway. Should I inflate them to loaded/speed setting or just standard?

Thanks in advance

you did not say what tyres you have - should they be ultra low profile 35/40 section then for sure start with the highest recommended pressure (fully loaded and high speed) - this will have three positive effects sharpen up the handling of the car, reduce the rolling resistance, and protect your AMG wheels from pothole and raised/sunk drain cover damage (sometimes it is impossible to miss them - being hemed in by 32Tons of HGV for instance) your MPG will improve (RRR) the down side is a harsher/harder ride and if you dont drive a lot 'enthusiastically' on twisty roads and 'attack' roundabouts you might find you wear down the middile of your tyres 'first' - not a big problem in my mind so long as your tyre mileage does not suffer - which it should not as by reducing RRR you are reducing the tyre temperature and tread squirming.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom