Tyre replacement query ml270

Dan2k7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
M class
Hi guys can anyone offer advice on what is best size tyres to replace on an ml270?

Car currently has 275/65/17s on it and handling is terrible. Have read that a lot recommend switching to 255 or even 235 wide. Can anyone recommend which size and would it be ok insurance wise?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Your car manual should list other available wheel size options

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Our old w163 270 was on 255/65-17 from the day we bought it. That was one of the options from new and should be in the handbook.

OP
D

Dan2k7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
M class
Our old w163 270 was on 255/65-17 from the day we bought it. That was one of the options from new and should be in the handbook.
Thank you I will have a look. Even 255 would be an improvement.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Hi sorry for the late reply. The car tramlines badly. The steering is rather vague.

Vagueness generally points to suspension/steering play or maybe misalignment.

The usual cause of tramlining on tyres that didn't tramline when new, is just wear. There's not enough rubber in the tread to absorb road imperfections and white line lumps. It's the tyre's way of saying "replace me, the legal limit is approaching".

I used to have 255/55 on my ML and now have 285/50. Both exhibited a slight amount of tramlining when new, and loads of it when getting to the end of their life.

IMHO, the wider tyres are MUCH smother riding and have better grip. The downsides are.....well, none really, except the price. The BIG advantage is that they protect my precious alloys against the occasional "female-parking" manouvre, that all of us are guilty of occasionally.

At least, that explains the large numbers of ropy old alloys on ebay...

OP
D

Dan2k7

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
M class
Thanks for that Paul, the tyres still have 5mm tread on so have fair bit of life in them. As for the steering/suspension play its due mot in couple of months so I will see if anything is highlighted but I believe a few people have down sized tyres and found it to be a much better ride.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hi sorry for the late reply. The car tramlines badly. The steering is rather vague.

You basically have balloon tyres which will enhance body roll and tramlining is probably as much the roads as the tyres

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I put mine on 235/65/17 many years ago partially due to tramlining on the original 255's. Improved the ride and steering noticeably. Standard tyres on the 164 were 235's which says something.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Going down to bicycle tyre widths is all very well, but the centre of gravity as about waist-height, so the ML struggles with changing direction. To get around the slip-angle problem (or at least minimise it) you need more rubber on the road.

Tramlining is a minor inconvenience that's worth living with in exchange for a 6 foot 2 inch car that actually handles pretty well, given sufficient rubber on the road.

The best handling SUVs at present (Porsche and BMW) have enormously wide tyres, you couldn't make this type of car handle even vaguely well on bike tyres...

Alternatively, don't drive on any roads with corners...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Going down to bicycle tyre widths is all very well, but the centre of gravity as about waist-height, so the ML struggles with changing direction. To get around the slip-angle problem (or at least minimise it) you need more rubber on the road.

Tramlining is a minor inconvenience that's worth living with in exchange for a 6 foot 2 inch car that actually handles pretty well, given sufficient rubber on the road.

The best handling SUVs at present (Porsche and BMW) have enormously wide tyres, you couldn't make this type of car handle even vaguely well on bike tyres...

Alternatively, don't drive on any roads with corners...

Actually I think thats not correct. Slip angle is more about sidewall height and deformation of the tread and sidewalls than about tyre width on its own.

A narrow tyre on a larger rim should be able to handle as well as a wide tyre. There is no increase in traction from a wide tyre as width just changes the shape of the contact patch not the size of it.

If the same sized rim is used then a wider tyre will result in a narrower sidewall hence contact patch deformation will be less when cornering (reduced sidewall flex). Range Rovers corner very well on comparatively narrow tyres (255/55/20) or even the narrower M&S size (235/65/19).

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
Lost kiwi wrote:
"There is no increase in traction from a wide tyre as width just changes the shape of the contact patch not the size of it."

I'm sure I'm being a bit thick here, but surely if that were true, Formula 1 cars would have bicycle-width tyres for reduced drag?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I think that perhaps on a perfectly smooth road a wider tyre will give better sideways grip but who travels on perfectly smooth roads? F1 maybe. Bumps and irregularities will upset wide tyres more than thinner ones and anyway, as I said, MB figured that 235's were the perfect standard fit for 164,s so guess they agree with me. My experience was that 235's gave more accurate steering on bumpy roads. I still use them and get very good mileage out of them even though I tow a van. 70000km out of last set of Yokohamas.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
The article was very interesting to someone who's spent as much money on tyres over the years as I have.

However, the fact remains: for better cornering grip (straight-line grip is a lot less important, unless you are Jeremy Clarkson in a BMW 1 series), you need to go to wider tyres.

Phew, looks like all those Formula 1 designers are not stupid after-all!

Perversely, unless there was loads of standing water, wider tyres would have probably kept Jeremy on the runway, and saved him the cost of a new pair of Levis...

As for certain BMWs high-speed instability, thankfully on here, nobody needs reminding how bad that is.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom