Tyre wear on fronts, inner edge C180 Esprit 1999

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
I discovered the inner edges of both front tyres very rounded and bald while the centre of the tyre still has around 5mm tread on it. I swapped fronts to back and also toe'd the steering in a little (half a turn on each side) to see if that would help. Now these tyres are also becoming rounded on the inner edges. Is this a symptom of the Esprit's lowered suspension?

Looking at the car with the steering in the straight-ahead position it looks to me as though the wheels/tyres are splayed out at the bottom so that the wheels appear to lean out at the bottom and in at the top; with most car weight on the inner tyre edge. Am I imagining this or can the suspension sag on an 18 yr old car with 157K miles? The lower balljoints have been replaced recently and no mention of anything else in the MoT. Wheel bearings have also been adjusted. Are the springs worn out or is there anything else I can do to correct the tyre wear?

Last edited:
OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
I'm pretty sure tracking is OK. I was wondering if the camber can go out by weak springs and whether anyone has had this problem?

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You need to get it on a hunter 4 wheel alignment and camber check/adjustment .Best money you'll ever spend!

OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Esprit = lowered version with carbon-fibre trim inside

OP
E

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
Well I can pretty much see it isn't sitting right (looks like too much negative camber) and I understand the camber/castor or not adjustable on these without fitting aftermarket parts that allow adjustments to be made. So that means either replacing the springs and/or the rubber bump stop which comes in different thicknesses (pips on the side). Just want to know if anyone has had to do this and had this tyre wear problem?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yours may be adjustable - the cut off was sometime around your date I think.
As for camber and springs the lower you go the more negative camber there will be.
As said - get it booked on a Hunter alignment machine to get it set correctly. You've already toed it in so unless you have proper alignment gear its already a guesstimate on the tracking.
If the height has dropped due to tired springs replace the springs rather than the pads. If the springs are weak they won't give the correct load/deflection curve and could result in broken springs or crashy ride.

John, back in the era of the W202 MB offered 4 trim levels:
Classic - Comfort suspension settings but basic trim - effectively entry level.
Elegance - as above except with more extras and a better spec (latterly alloy wheels included).
Esprit - Effectively a 'Classic' but with sports suspension
Sport - An Esprit with better spec (including alloy wheels) and sports seats.

All four came with different trim detail (wood, carbon, aluminium etc) and different cloth on the seats. Initially all except Sport had steel wheels but different wheel trims and latterly the Elegance and Sport both had alloys as standard.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yours may be adjustable - the cut off was sometime around your date I think.
As for camber and springs the lower you go the more negative camber there will be.
As said - get it booked on a Hunter alignment machine to get it set correctly. You've already toed it in so unless you have proper alignment gear its already a guesstimate on the tracking.
If the height has dropped due to tired springs replace the springs rather than the pads. If the springs are weak they won't give the correct load/deflection curve and could result in broken springs or crashy ride.

John, back in the era of the W202 MB offered 4 trim levels:
Classic - Comfort suspension settings but basic trim - effectively entry level.
Elegance - as above except with more extras and a better spec (latterly alloy wheels included).
Esprit - Effectively a 'Classic' but with sports suspension
Sport - An Esprit with better spec (including alloy wheels) and sports seats.

All four came with different trim detail (wood, carbon, aluminium etc) and different cloth on the seats. Initially all except Sport had steel wheels but different wheel trims and latterly the Elegance and Sport both had alloys as standard.
Cheers Alastair, I came in when things like Avantgarde were around, I was a philistine and drive such things as Volvos...(nowt wrong with them mind)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
avantgarde slotted into the range above Sport and, over time, the espirit badge was dropped (1999 is about the last as i believe it was dropped late 202 or early 203)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
avantgarde slotted into the range above Sport and, over time, the espirit badge was dropped (1999 is about the last as i believe it was dropped late 202 or early 203)
Avantgarde replaced Sport I thought? Then later Sport returned (2010?)
There was definitely no Sport 210 - they came in Classic/Elegance/Avantgarde only.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
im not sure, but thought avantgarde was available on the 202 and sport as a trim (rather than a sport 'pack') returned with the 204 AMG lookalikes. i could very easily be wrong about this though

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom