Tyres

B

brick10

n my recent MOT, i was advised to get tyres for the front, i have seen these,would these be suitable.
Pirelli P Zero 225/40Y18 (92)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
“I’m spinning around, get out of my way-ay”:)
Ermm .... can / dare I suggest 4 x tyres? Sorry
Agreed. For safety I'd strongly recommend 4x RS3 tyres.
I use them on my 5 litre r129 and they are a revelation in the wet. Our 5 litre r230 has Goodyear assymetric 2s and I can easily provoke wheelspin. The r129 just squats and goes. Also have them on the rear of my 210 and they are totally surefooted. The only issue is they wear a bit quicker than other tyres but as they cost less to buy it's pretty cost neutral overall.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The only issue is they wear a bit quicker than other tyres but as they cost less to buy it's pretty cost neutral overall.

I get 10k out of the rears on mine and it does put a considerable amount of torque through them regularly, for the price they are fantastic

OP
B

brick10

Ah.....
Some nice new quality fronts could make life ermmm....'interesting'....
In what way?, when i have bought tyres in the past i have only ever bought four.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Good decision brick10. To expand on LK....

All makes and models of tyre have different ultimate levels of grip and this can vary across dry grip, wet grip, and alter with road temperatures... plus differ between cornering and braking situations.

To further confuse things different tyres may have different characters as to how progressive this loss of grip is.... some will gradually increase their slip angle towards the limit... others will hold on well to the very last then suddenly let go.

Even if you don't routinely drive quickly in the "hope it never happens" accident avoidance situation it is far better if the car is naturally balanced before the stability control does its work rather than relying on the stability control to straighten things out right from the start.

OP
B

brick10

Why would anyone put Chinese tyres on a Mercedes is beyond me, the tyres were on the car when i bought it, i have thought about changing them but never got around to it, the MOT i have had the other day has made the decision to change them to something a more bit decent.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why would anyone put Chinese tyres on a Mercedes is beyond me, the tyres were on the car when i bought it, i have thought about changing them but never got around to it, the MOT i have had the other day has made the decision to change them to something a more bit decent.
My 129 came with Chinese tyres on it - they were appalling. Its now running much more happily on 'Sharks'.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
In fairness, your first post was on the Pirelli’s suitability.
You will get the 4 x RS3’s for about the same price as 2 of the Pirelli’s anyway ;)

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
With apologies to anyone who chooses to fit budget Chinese tyres but....

When we look at used cars (such as the CLK purchased recently) the presence of Chinese tyres is a warning sign to me that the owner may have skimped elsewhere. Not always the case but can be a pointer. So I look at images people often take of the wheels in the ads to try and ID the tyres. If the car is some way from us and the images show nothing then in my call to the seller I ask them to let me know the tyre makes.

We considered a few car makes when looking for this CLK and phoning about a 225bhp Alfa with "all new tyres" proudly mentioned in the advert I soon lost interest when I asked the guy the brand and he said "oh just some Chinese rubbish, but they're all brand new". Why would you do that to a car known for its driving qualities??

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom